Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2020, 07:27   #31

Boat: Bristol 43
Re: Hylas 49 vs. Tayana 48 DS

You said you are based on the west coast of Florida as are we. When we were looking for our boat my rule was ICW bridge friendly and no more than 5 foot draft. We have friends with 6' that we buddy boat with in Floria and the Bahamas. Most of the time it is not an issue but there are spots they can not go that we can (we are 4.6 with the board up). Just a thought. Are you by chance looking at the Tayana 48DS for sale in Bradenton? We were friends with the owner and did some cruising together. Let me know if you would like to know my thoughts on that boat.
sv_Esconditas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 07:41   #32

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
FWIW, we lived and worked in Asia for about 15 years. Before we bought our boat, I had the chance to visit all 3 boatyards there in Kaushuing, Taiwan. The TaYang yard (where Tayanas were made), the Queen Long Yard (where Hylas is made), and the Ta Shing Yard, where the Taswell line was made. After spending multiple hours at each, talking with the yard guys as well as the office/Engineering folks, and having a chance to crawl around new boats from each, our 1st choice was a Hylas-the quality and care was very, very evident. Almost tied with them, in our opinion, was the Taswell. The Tayana was built to a lower price point, and, to me, it showed; a good boat to be sure, but not to the standard of the other 2. But.....we could not afford a new boat, we found a good looking 10-year old Taswell in Singapore, and have been VERY happy with her for the past 20 years. In my opinion, look at the Taswells as well-if you can find one. IF everything else is near equal, I'd go with a Hylas or Taswell in a heatbeat.....an easy choice for me, especially for an older, used boat!
That is all very interesting. I did not get a chance to visit the yards when we commissioned our Hylas. I have subsequently been on several Taswells, and came quite close to buying a Taswell 43 a few years ago. I agree with your assessment and Taswell should definitely be added to the selection matrix IMO. In fact the 43 with a mast height of of 62' would be a better boat for the ICW than either of the larger Hylas/Tayanas
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 10:32   #33
TBA

Thanks, Sailcrazy. I also like the Taswell. I -refer the deck saloon configuration, but grew up in a traditional cabin. Will revisit them.
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 10:34   #34
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
That is all very interesting. I did not get a chance to visit the yards when we commissioned our Hylas. I have subsequently been on several Taswells, and came quite close to buying a Taswell 43 a few years ago. I agree with your assessment and Taswell should definitely be added to the selection matrix IMO. In fact the 43 with a mast height of of 62' would be a better boat for the ICW than either of the larger Hylas/Tayanas
~Alan
Taswell added. Also will look down in size.
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:58   #35

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
Taswell added. Also will look down in size.
I sent you a private message about Taswell 49.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post1850008
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 23:12   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Hylas boats. We were beat up (cosmetically) in hurricane Harvey. If the boat had been totaled, that's what we would have bought. At that point, there were no Macintoshes for sale. There is a nice one in Annapolis right now, BTW.

We looked at several Tayanas as well. They are great boats. Just didn't seem to have the appeal that the Hylas boats do. Not sure what it is...

In any case, we are delighted to have our boat back. Most of the Macintosh boats (there were only 16 built) were made in the same yard as the Hylas.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas