Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 21:45   #1

Boat: Tayana 42 Vancouver - El Shaddai
Hylas 44

We mentioned this under Sailing Forum but realized this is the appropriate place for this thread. Does anyone have any experience with a Hylas 44 (or smaller)? We are continuing our search for an offshore boat and the Hylas has caught our attention. We plan to live aboard for several years so comfort and handling ability for 2 people are important. The wisdom of this group is extremely helpful. Other recommendations are welcome.
Bev & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51   #2
cruiser

??

Bev and Bill,

I think I had mentioned to you in an earlier post that I know a couple who has a Hylas 44 on the market. (Maybe it wasn't you two).

I could get the two of you together without a broker involved and you might be able to save some $$$ that way.

Let me know if you would be interested. The boat is set up for cruising and was used in the Caribbean this past year. It is currently in the SE USA..

Let me know...

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:43   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32
The Hylas 44 has great accommodations with her centercockpit and aft stateroom layout. She can be rigged sloop or cutter. Often all lines come into the cockpit and make her easy for two people to sail. She is an attractive Frers designs that will get you complements in any harbor. Finally, we find that 44's really keep their resale value. I could not recommend a better boat. But as some alternatives, a person looking at the 44 Hylas might be interested in these in no particular order:

1. 422 Pearson
This model is fresh in my mind. She is the centercockpit version of the popular 424 Pearson and much less common. She has a centerline queen aft and nice traditional lines with a bit of sheer spring.

2. 46 Peterson
A 46 Peterson is the extended version of the 44 Kelly Peterson and a much roomier yacht. The Queen Long built ones are high quality. Queen Long is the builder of the Hylas 44's. Formosa built some other ones. While Queen Long is thought of as one of the finest yards in Taiwan, Formosa may be the worst. The 46's draw more at around 6'6" than the shoal 44's at 5'5". Deep keeled Hylas 44's draw 6'6". This may rule a Kelly out.

3. 44 Gulfstar
The 44 Gulfstar may be even better in design than the 44 Hylas. Her step down galley, shoal draft, and nice lines make her a popular model. Mark I version have a large athwartship king while Mark II's have a centerline queen berth aft.

4. 42 Tayana Center Cockpit
I see this is the final choice of Bev & Bill. The 42 Tayana has a both center and aft cockpit models. The center cockpit version is by far more sought after. These are heavily built, stout double-enders. It is a much different style than the Hylas 44.

5. 44 CSY
These 44's come in both walkover and walkthrough versions. Many were built with a deep keel. CSY filled the bottom of these keels with cement, so the owner could later cut the keel off for shoal draft - an interesting idea. There are also tall rigs.

Some other models to think about are the 42/44 Brewer, 43/44 Mason, 447 Norseman, and 46 Bowman.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas