Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 16:19   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: How do you make Sailing Easier?

Just thought of something regarding the fumes in the cabin. You did turn the blower on right? I forgot once. It wasn't pleasant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 17:06   #17

Sailing for Dummies is REALLY a great little book.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:14   #18

Boat: Club Sailor; various

No offense, liveaboardL, but when I first read this I thought it was a joke. If it's not then I agree with those who suggested some instruction might help.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:27   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Sailing fitness is something that builds the more you do it. As for making sailing easier well for me as an engineer that means minimising effort expended, minimising wear and tear and managing risks to us and our equipment.

As for the physical effort well i personally find all the hard graft and bending and stretching to be great for my health. Since living and working aboard i've never felt healthier. It was being chained to a so called ergonomic office environment that caused me so many neck issues leading to endless migraines. I love nothing more than faffing about on my boat. My happiness seems to relate to the amount of rope and lines i have to deal with. IMHO rope = happiness.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 18:57   #20

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

If you don't have an exhaust leak another thing that really makes an engine smell below is the blowby. Atomic 4s just have a rubber hose that comes from the crankcase and ends just sitting on the spark arrester intake on the carburetor. If that isn't there the hot oily smell in the boat can be impressive.

Been there, done that.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09   #21

Boat: TBD The Admiral will have to approve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
OP, I highly, HIGHLY recommend signing up for an ASA 101 sailing class or comparable as soon as possible!!! With the knowledge you appear to have, you could easily lose your new boat and possibly cause the loss of someone else's too.
Agreed though the quality of instruction is highly variable. the peeps I took 103/104 with out in San Diego were pretty casual about a lot of things were that my only sailing instruction I doubt I;d feel all that well prepared. The guy I took 101/102.x from here taught me far far more.

Ask around, find a good Instructor in your area.
Old 12-04-2014, 14:40   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Get a tiller tamer from Davis Marine. They show up regularly on Ebay. That will allow you to set the tiller at a specific angle while you do other things. A tiller pilot is really nice for single handing or look for a used wind vane.

Does sound like you need to get a mentor to go out with you for a few times. They's get you familiar with the ropes and give you ideas on how to set the boat up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 15:04   #23

Boat: Catalina 387

The A4 should not smell.

(well, not too bad - kinda like if you smell your car's engine compartment.) -- Run the blower before starting the engine (like 5 min) to vent any possibly explosive gases.
Run it while motoring to reduce some of the smell.
Look at the blowby hose.
You can install a PCV valve, but I don't think it would have much effect over just the stock setup. Others disagree with me. You can read all about the mod on the forums at moyer's site.
If you can really smell gas, look for a leak. if the float gets stuck, the A4 leaks into the bottom of the carb - diagnose by a "wet" bottom of the carb. If the carb has gas on the outside, rebuild the carb. (Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts has all things A4)

<edit> - and watch the temps. If mine gets good and hot it smells alot worse - like it's cooking the crud off. Once I fixed the bizarre plumbing job by the PO, it got better. (Does everybody use lots of electrical tape to make a 3/8" fitting fit a 1/2" hose? Don't think that's ABYC standard)

I assume Kevin84 was the PO? If so, he mentioned there is a tillerpilot. Use it. Autopilots are wonderful shorthanded.

Get somebody who sails to go out with you is always a good idea too.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 21:44   #24

Where are you sailing? San Fran in the PM can set you on the rail. go when the air is light and play with the sails. If I am thinking correctly about the Alberg 35, you have a very fine upwind and light air boat. Stable full keel and large rudder. You should be able to toss the engine over the side and just sail everywhere when you have the boat set up properly. I would love to have a boat with a tiller again. You have to "feel" the wind and respond. You will learn to balance the boat with the sails so you can control it with subtle movement. It is "flying", only sideways!
It takes time! It is worth it!
rickrohwer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing