Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 03:22   #31

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: Help me inspect these survey notes please!

What it boils down to is about you. If the basics are OK and you enjoy hard work with metal and are not in too much of a hurry it could be a good proposition.
If you are a shiny plastic boat type of person then it may not be.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:16   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

There are a couple of points that the surveyor may not have mentioned.
1) It's a steel boat. What was the condition of the anodes?
2) The rigging may date from 1992! That's 23 years. If so replace it all.
3) One suggestion was that the hull be abrasive blasted. The survey noted some blisters so the paint may be compromised.
Get a few quotes to have the hull (at least below the water line) reblasted. Have any other rust blasted at the same time.
Use a reputable brand name paint system recommended for steel boats.
When having blasting and painting done watch every second. Don't ask...
4) In my opinion the engine is too small for extended cruising.
5) Replace the sea cocks. Reweld as necessary.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:10   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Sounds like a big project. I would think hard before getting into it. Survey looks thorough but who knows. Sonic test alone will probably be close to 1 G.
I have a better one for less money that I put 2.5 years and 60G's into. Beware.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 00:13   #34

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
If you intend to insure the boat you should realize that your insurer will likely require that you do ALL of the surveyor's recommended repairs and fix all of the other identified items before it will insure your boat ---so you will need to spend a lot of $$$$ and/or time before you can sail away on your dream ---as for the cost of repairs--make your best estimate and then double it --as for the time to do the repairs: make your best estimate and then triple it --buy this boat if you want to learn how to repair and maintain boats--don't buy it if you want to go sailing
That is not necessarily true in my experience as a surveyor.
I have such an issue at hand just now, as the insurer asked my client to fix everything that I have recommended for the vessel.
However, the client came to agreement with the insurer to fix immediately only items that I have classified under 'safety' heading.
The rest of the items was split between items that will be repaired in defined frame of time and some items were classified as 'nice to have' and deleted from the insurer demands.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:23   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

This post strikes to my heart. As a charter captain and charter yacht broker I have been on a thousand sailboats during my half century of sailing. Although familiar with basic maintenance I do not consider myself a qualified shipwright or mechanic. I acquired a truly magnificent steel boat a few years ago. A 20 NT Bruce Roberts built by a master but was neglected by the second owner. Originally I had a backer who had to bail due to a divorce which left me holding the bag with very little money. Paid 32G's originally and have put another 40G's (and over two years of solid work) into her so far. Have run out of money and may lose her which breaks my heart so I can speak from experience.
I have enjoyed learning about all the systems. I have rebuilt most of them but must warn you again that you may be getting into something you are not bargaining for. You can't park that boat in your backyard and selling it might not be easy if you do want out.
A wise man told me once that when it comes to boats if you think it will take you a day to do a job; it will take you a week. If you think it will take you a week it will take you a month. A month and it will take you a year. I laughed when I heard that. I am not laughing now.
I hate to be a nay-sayer. I heard enough of those concerning my project but the list you show is all too familiar.
I would like to see the list of equipment. I must have missed that. I would also be interested in your system for protecting the steel hull.
If you are truly committed then good luck. Be prepared for a hell of a lot of work and frustration. I wish you the best. Here is a link to some photos of my project:
https://www.pinterest.com/magellanya...=ef9658f71c4e4
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, survey