Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 12:02   #16

Re: Help! Genoa,( furler) halyard jamed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
you need to either a; have an organised and tested way to get yourself up the mast - its probably better to sort this out before a problem arises that requires climbing the mast... or b; find a rigger who isnt fussed about getting up masts as part of his daily routine and put him on your speed dial. Had this problem a few weeks ago on a neighbours boat - guy wanted to fit some new tech to the masthead, spent a few days trying and failing to get a satisfactory working position up the mast, considered using a boatyard crane to remove the mast(v. expensive), ended up finding a rigging guy who shinned up and did the job for a negligible fee.
On my boat, ratlines and mast steps make climbing the mast a pleasant afternoon, and I've been up while the boat was drifting to retrieve the main halyard after a shackle disappeared, no drama at all. Not to mention replacing all the rigging in situ a while ago. but, at risk of labouring the point, trying to figure out a way to get up the stick when a problem arises means either a lot of time and energy wasted before addressing the actual problem, or the risk of an accident. 99% of sailing is anticipation.

I will investigate with bino more, and
Will go up. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotman View Post
I had the same problem. None of my 303 lbs could free the halyard. I hires a rigger he climbed the mast and after a little investigating he dug out some seeds the birds had placed in the top of the mast. He removed them and a couple of squirts of Corrosion X, the halyard pulled right down. I also had to stuff a sponge in the end of my boom to because they were getting in their and building a nest. Hope this helps

Took some pictures and investigated, still can't see above side of swivel. May hire a rigger.
Thank you for your input!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:11   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe hold off on rigger and use the $ to get a mast mate or a good falls instead? You'll probably use it a lot in the future anyway. You'll feel better if you solve this on your own I bet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Maybe hold off on rigger and use the $ to get a mast mate or a good falls instead? You'll probably use it a lot in the future anyway. You'll feel better if you solve this on your own I bet.

Thanks, I have still inclining to climbing myself since I've done some before. Good time to try new set up.,

Old 01-06-2016, 14:26   #20

Boat: Farr 1020

I had a Main halyard jam once. The turning block inside the base of the mast had bent over.
Some masts have a big slot for the halyard to exit, some have a block recessed back into the mast, so that the halyard goes down, around the block, out of the mast and up to the winch.
Somehow, the block folded sideways on me - only about the second time I ever used the boat after purchase. Somewhat difficult as I did not have a bosuns chair onboard either and needed a passing yacht to come to my aid.
We learn!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 16:00   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

I have a profurl with the black plastic ring/doughnut on top. After I had some rigging work done it was 5 or 6 inches above the foil and it was extremely difficult to raise the sail. Moved it down to the foil and all works as designed. Sounds like you have something else going on but thought I would add my experience to the mix.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 17:06   #22

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

It's not uncommon for the set screws that hold the sections of the foil together to work loose and keep the headsail from coming down. To check try to pull up(using halyard) and down(detach tack and yank) on the luff,an observer will be able to see where it's hanging up if that's the case.
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 18:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
It's not uncommon for the set screws that hold the sections of the foil together to work loose and keep the headsail from coming down. To check try to pull up(using halyard) and down(detach tack and yank) on the luff,an observer will be able to see where it's hanging up if that's the case.

I will try!
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2016, 18:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I have a profurl with the black plastic ring/doughnut on top. After I had some rigging work done it was 5 or 6 inches above the foil and it was extremely difficult to raise the sail. Moved it down to the foil and all works as designed. Sounds like you have something else going on but thought I would add my experience to the mix.

Thank you!

Old 01-06-2016, 19:53   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

FYI: There are definitely times when shooting pics of the masthead from a nearly vertical angle won't reveal the details that you want or need to see.
Instead, try taking some shots from a good distance away, with a powerful lens. So that the angle of the camera is more horizontal. That way, things won't be obscured by other rigging bits which are below that which you need/want to be looking at.

Plus, since space on memory cards is cheap: Take Lots of high-res pics of everything even remotely connected to the system giving you a problem. As the issue isn't always necessarily in the seemingly obvious place.

Also, after looking over such pics for an hour or so with you dockmates, put'em away for a day or three, & then come back at things with a fresh eye & mind. A technique which is often helpful when working on any project.

PS: Needs be, ask around for someone who has a Digi-Scoping rig (kit), like a Bird Watcher. It's the "Poor Man's" version of a camera with a Bazooka sized lens.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 21:08   #26

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

A lot of good suggestions already, if you find that the swivel is fine your sail might be stuck in the foil track. I just had that problem on a friends boat when we tried to take the sail sown so I could sew some new sacrificial on his Genoa. Had to go up and work a little trac-lube in and the sail slid fright down...well it came down. we cleaned the trac and put some dry lube in it and the sail slides right up and down. You can look with binoculars, but what ever you see you'll still have to go up, so go up.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:00   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes.

Very common in Profurl units. I have seen this at least three times. Imbus driven bolts holding the extrusion elements in place come partly undone and may lock the sail in the foil making it impossible to drop without sending someone with an allen key up the foil.

Plenty of loctite does not help either. Design fault.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:26   #28

Unwrapped and halyard looked ok, nothing blocked around.
I will check the top of foil, ,,,,
Old 03-06-2016, 20:58   #29

Boat: Lots of boats.

Lots of video sailors (like SV Delos) have video drones. Guess they might come in handy for exploratory trips up the mast.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 21:05   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Lots of video sailors (like SV Delos) have video drones. Guess they might come in handy for exploratory trips up the mast.
Video drones! That one is going on the "boat luxuries" thread! In five years it will be another one of those things that everyone needs... and requires another 2 or 3 feet of waterline length!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, Genoa, halyard