Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 15:41   #1

Good Bluewater Boat for female

Hello -

I'm an experienced sailor in protected waters here in Maine (20 years) and during the pandemic am considering my next moves in life. (As I think many of us are.)

I'm curious about Water boats">blue water boats that would be appropriate for a 5'5" female. Handing the main and anchor are my two biggest concerns of size - so something about 28-30'? I like the Southern Cross, Cape Dory and am personally partial to Pearsons although the older ones (sometimes recommended for passage making) would probably be like learning a new vessel altogether.

Money to live on is not a problem but I've not got a lot of cash to outlay for a vessel, so something between $25 and $50K. I prefer simplicity in any case and do not need bells and whistles, and older is just fine if it's still functional.

I would be solo (having tried repeatedly to get a guy to go with me, lol, I'm better off being my own captain).

My goals are contemplation, cultivation of self-trust, time in warmer climates, and connecting with different cultures.

Any thoughts?
KellyMarcena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:53   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Good Bluewater Boat for female

It doesn't make any difference what gender, size, height,etc... If someone is dependent on strength to sail, anchor, etc..., they are doing it wrong.

Winches should be sized appropriately to minimize effort in sail handling. Anchoring is easily accomplished with a windlass. The only requisite for any sailor is ability and knowledge, both on how to navigate and how to maintain the boat.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 17:06   #3

Thank you Illusion. With respect, I do feel the need to be able to manage (most) everything onboard. Last summer I used the windlass to haul the anchor on a 31' - but the forestay pin was set improperly so I had to wrestle it into the bow roller. Several tries later I finally got it in and secured. It was a lot of work and I'd not like to imagine doing that with a 55 lb anchor. But this is beside the point. The real question was - might you have any favorites on a seaworthy boat 28-30 (maybe 32) feet?
Old 21-11-2020, 17:29   #4
cruiser

If you have 20 years experience sailing your own judgment is better than most people. Certainly better than mine. Go for it lady.
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 17:36   #5

Nonsuch 30 or 33 with an aluminum spade anchor? Not a speedster to weather, but a comfortable single hander that's easy to maneuver.

Random YW listing. No connection.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ch-33-3590614/

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 17:47   #6
cruiser

Or you can look what Samantha Davies is riding in the Vendée
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 17:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Nonsuch 30 or 33 with an aluminum spade anchor? Not a speedster to weather, but a comfortable single hander that's easy to maneuver.

Random YW listing. No connection.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ch-33-3590614/

Good luck

Peter
Not exactly fully Bluewater, but will get you to Bahamas and Caribbean. Pretty easy to single hand. Careful of balsa coring.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 20:27   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kelly there are loads of good sailboats for offshore sailing in that size range. Tania Aebi took a Contessa 26 around the world, have you looked at the Fathom blog he has just returned from a circumnavigation in a Vancouver 28, Maureen Jenkins crossed the Atlantic in a 33 foot Spray. I also surveyed this Pearson 10.5 here in Australia that was single handed across the Pacific by a young lady.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	227399  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 20:51   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Given what you mentioned I think the Cape Dory 30 would be a good choice. I knew a woman many years ago who lived aboard and sailed solo a Pearson Vanguard and she was very happy with that boat. My boat is not a bad choice too IMO. The CD will have a tad more room and will be a tad stiffer. I don't have a windlass, and hauling the anchor can be a bit of a strain sometimes, so a windlass on my small boat would make it super easy. The anchor won't be a monster for a 30 foot boat. The main on a 30 foot boat will probably be 6 or 7 oz and its the same size as mine and its not hard to handle. You can add a boom gallows and lazyjacks to make things easier too, and easier is safer and better for anyone of any size!
Check here too:
https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...oats-list.html
Bluewaterboats.org - Sailboat reviews for offshore sailing

But keep in mind there are devices that help with mechanical advantage that can make larger boats within anyone's abilities. That said, I still think you are wise to think in terms of 30-35 footers.

Welcome aboard by the way!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:57   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I just don't see the female angle. I have come across lots of skinny weak men sailors.

So is this really a “what old 30’ boat do you recommend thread”? Just get the one YOU like and don't worry about what bunch of forum readers like. They all are going to be mostly the same and if after all this time you chose one in good condition, it is a good boat.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:13   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I don't see the female angle either.

I'm single handing my 35ft catamaran frequently. No problem.
If my boyfriend sails with me, I am still the skipper and he is the mate.
It's not a question of rank, it's a question of experience.
Don't see why this should be more of a problem than for a man.

There are several women right now participating in the Vendée Globe race.
Their boats are the same size as their competitors. No problems in being female there either.

Isabelle Authissier, raced around the world, Florence Arthaud did it too.
Tiny Ellen McArthur sailed a giant trimaran single handed.

I am referring to the above, because if they can handle these huge boats, a female sailor can equally handle cruising boats of any size and just as well as man.

If it's a strength issue, you can always overcome it. Work smarter not harder.

You can do it with any boat, you just have to be prepared to be able to repair anything and not be scared of approaching technical difficulties open minded.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:21   #12

Boat: Hanse 430e

Again this is not a man vs woman thing, buy the boat that does the most for you and outfit it with things that make single handing efficient. I single hand my Hanse 430 because it has running rigging led to the cockpit, its roomy bright enough below to live comfortably for me and my dog. I realized early on that a wireless remote for the electric windlass made it easy for me to MED Moor. Everything I add to this boat is to make my experience more enjoyable. No boat is perfect AS IS for a single man or woman.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:27   #13

Boat: Tartan 40

Shoal draft needed I’d look for a Tartan 34 classic with a K/CB. Tons out there
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:31   #14

Fore and Aft

Yes! I owned a Pearson 10M - really loved it! I would hesitate to take it off shore with that fin keel but for protected waters it was a joy to sail and absolute cavern down below. Wow - so many details that I loved about that design... I hope your search works out Thanks!
Old 22-11-2020, 05:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Given what you mentioned I think the Cape Dory 30 would be a good choice. I knew a woman many years ago who lived aboard and sailed solo a Pearson Vanguard and she was very happy with that boat. My boat is not a bad choice too IMO. The CD will have a tad more room and will be a tad stiffer. I don't have a windlass, and hauling the anchor can be a bit of a strain sometimes, so a windlass on my small boat would make it super easy. The anchor won't be a monster for a 30 foot boat. The main on a 30 foot boat will probably be 6 or 7 oz and its the same size as mine and its not hard to handle. You can add a boom gallows and lazyjacks to make things easier too, and easier is safer and better for anyone of any size!
Check here too:
https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...oats-list.html
Bluewaterboats.org - Sailboat reviews for offshore sailing

But keep in mind there are devices that help with mechanical advantage that can make larger boats within anyone's abilities. That said, I still think you are wise to think in terms of 30-35 footers.

Welcome aboard by the way!

Many thanks! Your response was helpful. Part of this is learning about other's preferences and why they are - thank you for the material

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water