Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 00:18   #106
lyl

Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenity38 View Post
I had two full keel huul with cutaway forefoot boats.
- a NorSea 27 with the aft cabin. Bluecwater boat to sail anywhere.. Easy solo sailing boat. Beautiful joinery throughout. Very sea kindly. Built like a Mack truck. Tiller steering. Very very dry sailing.
- Hans Christian 38 Needed crew just to go get fuel. All the same attributes as the NS27 just everything is bigger, heavier, and beefier.

Other suggestions, by size:
Flicka 20
Falmouth Cutter 22
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Bristol Channel Cutter 28
I like ur full keel recs.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 00:19   #107
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Aw come on now. 38’er and you need crew to get fuel?

We have a 44’er, cut away forefoot, 6-1/2” draft, 40,000 pounds, 49’LOA and we sail her just the two of us. And I’m 70. And never sailed until I was 55.

Yeah she can be a bear but you learn to love the one you are with. And when others are all whining about the surge in the anchorage we are like “What surge?”

You do not need a big boat, but they are manageable.
As a first boat, seeking something btw 27 - 32...
Old 22-12-2020, 00:24   #108
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthehard View Post
Full, also take a look at designs by Thomas Gillmer. Southern Cross 31 is the boat I fell in love with. Some were owner finished boats. The factory finished boats are known as Southern Cross, the owner finished as Gillmers. Alas, I could not find one anywhere nearby. So, I purchased another of Gillmer's designs, the Seawind Mk II. She is a wonderful boat. Here is a Gillmer currently for sale.
Southern Cross 31!!!
Old 22-12-2020, 00:27   #109
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
The best small bluewater 27’ boat ever built is the Vancouver 27’. It will take you round the world and ask to go again. They are totally overbuilt and perform like 40’ers on the ocean. Not easy to find one in North America as the best ones were built in England. Many have circumnavigated without any problems and have a very sea kindly nature. If you find one make sure to sail it before you decide on anything else.
TY for intruducing me to this one.
Old 22-12-2020, 00:52   #110

I bought a heavy displacement steel ketch which weighed 15 tons fully loaded. It had a long keel with a cutaway forefoot. Problem prop walk, I would end up four pontoons down so I had to fix it. Put a rope around a cleat behind the boat then lead the double rope back to amidships and tie it, I had a cleat there. Make sure it is easy to get off for when you leave the pontoon. Start the engine, put in reverse then up to 1,000 rpm then wait until there is water flowing over the prop, then pull the rope in as fast as possible. You will go straight back.,
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 06:25   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Southern Cross 31!!!
Interestingly we just pulled into our winter berth and the adjacent boat is a Southern Cross. It appears she came in from cruising and now has sat in the water a long time. Clearly not been moved in a few years.

Do not know which model, probably not the 31. But good looking boat.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:16   #112

Your budget is definitely in the ballpark. My experience is buying a good used vessel works on a slide rule. You can get into a real fixer upper that you get for cheap but spend LOTS of money and TIME getting ready to go or you get a vessel in much better condition cost more but you end up spending much less money and time getting ready.

An example is you could end up purchasing a nice older vessel for 40 or 50 grand. Then end up spending another 40 or 50 making it ready to go.

One manufacturer you have not listed is Hans Christian you should seriously look at one of these as they are rock solid and in your budget.

Remember get a full survey by a trusted surveyor not associated with the broker or seller in any way if possible.
SVClownshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 14:54   #113
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVClownshoes View Post
Your budget is definitely in the ballpark. My experience is buying a good used vessel works on a slide rule. You can get into a real fixer upper that you get for cheap but spend LOTS of money and TIME getting ready to go or you get a vessel in much better condition cost more but you end up spending much less money and time getting ready.

An example is you could end up purchasing a nice older vessel for 40 or 50 grand. Then end up spending another 40 or 50 making it ready to go.

One manufacturer you have not listed is Hans Christian you should seriously look at one of these as they are rock solid and in your budget.

Remember get a full survey by a trusted surveyor not associated with the broker or seller in any way if possible.
I'll need a lot of luck, a lot. I'll give the whole buying process a good few months, I won't rush the things - Still, what I'll be ending up with will be dictated by the used sailboat market at the time and place, not what I wish to buy. I can only have a very vauge idea right now. If I realize that I won't be able to get an old full keel running flawlessly under 100k, then I'll consider a Catalina 315 wing keel, brand new, as the first sailboat of mine. I hope it won't come to that. Being new to this, I'm a perfect candidate to be ripped off. We'll see, I guess... By the way, I'd consider something without a full keel if and only if I feel as if I have to buy a brand new sailboat, so guys please... Let's keep this comment strickly dedicated to full keels - I still have to weed out all those recommendations that are not really full keels.
Old 22-12-2020, 14:58   #114
lyl

Guys, kindly please, feel free helping me weed out the non-full-keels listed on this comment. Again, TY so much everyone.
Old 22-12-2020, 15:18   #115

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Guys, kindly please, feel free helping me weed out the non-full-keels listed on this comment. Again, TY so much everyone.
Well, if you really want us to do this, you need to define what YOU mean by "full keel".

And FWIW, I think that you are doing yourself a disservice by focusing so narrowly on this parameter when you are so lacking in experience. Your choice, of course, but a bit more flexibility would be of benefit to you IMO.

Jim
Old 22-12-2020, 15:20   #116

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I'll need a lot of luck, a lot. I'll give the whole buying process a good few months, I won't rush the things - Still, what I'll be ending up with will be dictated by the used sailboat market at the time and place, not what I wish to buy. I can only have a very vauge idea right now. If I realize that I won't be able to get an old full keel running flawlessly under 100k, then I'll consider a Catalina 315 wing keel, brand new, as the first sailboat of mine. I hope it won't come to that. Being new to this, I'm a perfect candidate to be ripped off. We'll see, I guess... By the way, I'd consider something without a full keel if and only if I feel as if I have to buy a brand new sailboat, so guys please... Let's keep this comment strickly dedicated to full keels - I still have to weed out all those recommendations that are not really full keels.
Well, I certainly hope you have had a good time.

If you can't get an old full keel sailboat running flawlessly for $20,000 or less then you don't know much about boats.

The Catalina 315 wing keel is on the totally opposite spectrum from a full keel sailboat, but if that is what you want, that's great.

Most folks actually rarely sail 50 miles offshore anyway so it's really up to you.

Spend $1,000 on your boat or $350,000.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 15:51   #117
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, if you really want us to do this, you need to define what YOU mean by "full keel".

And FWIW, I think that you are doing yourself a disservice by focusing so narrowly on this parameter when you are so lacking in experience. Your choice, of course, but a bit more flexibility would be of benefit to you IMO.

Jim
This comment was a joke; I should've put a smiley face next to it. Of course, I won't ask people to do that for me...
I want a full keel. I know that much. My mind is made up on that. My concern was 'if I wouldn't be able to find what I want.' I'm pretty sure, on this issue, I didn't leave any room for a misunderstanding.
Old 22-12-2020, 16:23   #118
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, I certainly hope you have had a good time.

If you can't get an old full keel sailboat running flawlessly for $20,000 or less then you don't know much about boats.

The Catalina 315 wing keel is on the totally opposite spectrum from a full keel sailboat, but if that is what you want, that's great.

Most folks actually rarely sail 50 miles offshore anyway so it's really up to you.

Spend $1,000 on your boat or $350,000.
You've pretty much listed all of my concerns. The funny thing is, I thought they were obvious.
Obviously, I'm still in the learning process.
Obviously, this will be my first serious sailboat.
I'm very well aware of the fact that full keel and Catalinas' wing keels are two very opposite concepts - I, obviously, know that much. Are there any brand new full keels produced at that size around that price these days? Unless you want to spend way over 350k on a custom one, it doesn't exist. So if I will have to buy a new one, because all the used sailboats I find end up being unfixable junks, than that one I'll consider - again, no right answer here or a philosopher's logic, just a decision.
Of course, you can get a 28ft old sailboat running pretty good for around let's say 30k... But I want it to be nice. I want it to look nice, clean, and etc... Not a pile of stinky junk. So yeah, it might cost me around 100k, because I want it to be in very good condition. New head, new engine, even an AC, and new this and that. I wanna sail with my wife who wants a Lagoon 40. So I want it to be presentable a bit; I don't want be yelled at on the half way to the Bahamas. (of course, this was a joke too, so no smarty comments please) And as you can imagine if you want it to be shiny, then the sky is the limit. I would be very happy if I can own one in perfect condition for 50 - 60k; that would be great if I could find one.
So yes, I still have so much figuring out to do, I believe it was very clear. What I know is I want a full keel. At least, I want that much. If full keel ends up being a bad decision, then it'll be my mistake and I'm OK to live with it. I really would hate to listen things as, 'you don't know how it'll be like sailing a full keel, why buying one.' Well, the answer is, I do, because I want to.
Old 22-12-2020, 16:41   #119

The Bristol 29, 30 and 33 are full keel and designed
by Halsey Herreshoff. These were late 1960’s and 1970’s production boats. A nice stiff blue water sailing boat.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 16:41   #120

Boat: EDELCAT33

So full keel boat
And Bahamas
Morgan33 out islander

https://www.boattrader.com/boats/mak...out-island-33/

And

https://www.inautia.com/used-boat-83...097491004.html
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags