Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 12:00   #301

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Before trying this around other boats, the prudent will check their throttle and gear cables. You really don’t want them to fail while doing this!
And when doing this back and forth gear shifting be gentle. I watched an inexperienced skipper with a new-to-him boat try to get out of a lock on the Erie Canal and instead of easing the shifts he tried to brute force them - and broke his cable linkage. We had to pull him out of the lock. It wasn't too hard to make temporary repairs but it could have been worse. Be gentle and don't try to force shifts faster than the gear allows.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 07:53   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Oops, I think I transposed the wheel position in my post above-

For a right hand rotating prop (more common in the US) making a clockwise turn using prop walk and wash the wheel goes to SB as you are turning in that direction- reverse kicks you to Port and forward pushes you to SB. Prop walk in reverse will go to Port regardless of rudder position, the rudder for this turn stays to SB.

Reverse that for a Left hand prop, I apologize if I confused anyone!

Normally you put the tranny in neutral if you have enough motion and let the boat turn as far as possible by itself. A burst of power forward will cause prop wash against the rudder enough to continue turning without going noticeably forward, which is the secret to crabbing sideways.

Try it! Takes longer to explain than to do it and it’s much easier than you might think.

I’ve learned NEVER to try to turn in tight spaces opposite prop wash. Whenever I get lazy and think I can take a shortcut and turn to Port in forward I regret it, so now I always take the long way around and turn to SB in forward unless I have LOTS of room.
I see, I'll note it it's very interesting I'll experiment it in wide anchoring places thank you
flosrv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 07:59   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
You can turn 360 without moving at all using prop wash, as well. Basically the boat rotates in place. The procedure is simple:

1. Stop the boat
2. Turn the wheel/tiller completely to the favored side
3. Put the engine in gear
4. Throttle quickly up to high speed, the boat will start to rotate
5. When the boat starts to move forward, throttle down, put in reverse, throttle up. Boat will stop but continue to rotate
6. When boat starts to move in reverse, throttle down, put in forward gear, and throttle up.

Continue until turn is complete. The wheel stays hard over. You want to execute this process smartly to keep the boat turning without moving forward or backwards. A bow thruster will help speed the turn but isn’t necessary.

To discover your boats favored side, stop the boat, then put her in reverse and quickly throttle up to high speed. The stern will walk to port or starboard. Mine walks to port, meaning I make turns to starboard using the above technique.

This fall I had to maneuver down a narrow lane between two docks packed with expensive boats, and then do a 180 in place to get in position to back into a travel lift. Long keel boats (mine is as long as they come!) can maneuver into tight spaces quite well. It just takes practice and confidence.

Before trying this around other boats, the prudent will check their throttle and gear cables. You really don’t want them to fail while doing this!

Pick your time. If you need to stay in place, pick slack tide and with at most a moderate breeze, otherwise the wind and/or tide will obviously cause drift; a strong enough wind will overcome propwash altogether and keep you pinned broadside to it. But in the right conditions it works great.
Oh yeah I get it ! I plan to buy soon a tayana 37, I'll check the favoured side of it and act accordingly ! Which ship do you have?
Old 28-11-2021, 08:07   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
Long keelers have some attributes fin keel boats dont. These attributes come with shortcomings too.

All boats are a compromise.

We sacrifice marina manouverability, going to windward and leeway for a sea kindly non slamming ride, comfort alongside or on the hook and a heavy well built boat.

To prospective newcomers to long or full keels - the first ten years are the worst!
Ten years? Hahaha is it that hard to take in hand ? Actually the first thing I was the most worry about was upwind and lightwind performances.
Since the ship is heavier, It needs more wind to make him move but he'll also stay longer when other ships need to go back ashore. But I'm indeed investigating what is this "more wind" difference. Full keel advantages are nice but if I can't go sail below 15kt, it blocks me a bit lol
Old 28-11-2021, 13:07   #305

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosrv123 View Post
Since the ship is heavier, It needs more wind to make him move ...
Ships are always feminine ("her") not masculine ("him"). Or perhaps I am not "woke" enough?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 17:51   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Ships are always feminine ("her") not masculine ("him"). Or perhaps I am not "woke" enough?

Greg
Hello sir!

Well at first I'm not native English, so I might actually be wrong and make mistakes, but I am here for sharing infos about sailing instead of linguistics.
The second thing is that all my English teachers, even university ones, teach that a ship is an object and therefore is referred to as "it", and not "he" or "she" that are reserved to human beings. The same info has been given to me by a multitude of native English friends.

By the way, after asking to a linguist friend, he answered me that the "she" that some English talking people use to refer to boats, comes from secular sailors traditions and habit of anthropomorphism, the trend to affectively give human properties to an object, the same we'll do with a dog because it accompanies us and we live adventures with it.

However, even though this habit is now commonly accepted and used by people, it comes from people traditions and not from linguistic laws of the language in itself.
Therefore ships are objects and should be referred to using "it".
Using "she", caused by people's traditions, belongs to the familiar linguistic register and the "it" belong to the standard linguistic register.
So I say "it" and I'm right to do so, as you use "she" and in familiar register, you're also right to do so.

By the way, I precise once again that I'm not English native and I might make mistakes but I'm not here to discuss about it.
I commonly use IT, and this time I used him as mistake. But when you commonly use the familiar form instead of the standard form, you're actually making a bigger mistake than the one I did.

So, I thank you but I'll return to the sailing matters
Old 28-11-2021, 19:40   #307

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

flosrv123, don't worry! As I am sure you know, in some places the ocean itself is masculine: el mar, and others, feminine: la mer, for example. I just assumed the same when I read your post!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:56   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
flosrv123, don't worry! As I am sure you know, in some places the ocean itself is masculine: el mar, and others, feminine: la mer, for example. I just assumed the same when I read your post!
Yep exactly, in French le voilier ⛵ (masc.). I daily switch between 4 language so things get mixed sometimes hahaha 😅😂
Old 30-11-2021, 02:45   #309

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Ten years? Hahaha is it that hard to take in hand ? Actually the first thing I was the most worry about was upwind and lightwind performances.
Since the ship is heavier, It needs more wind to make him move but he'll also stay longer when other ships need to go back ashore. But I'm indeed investigating what is this "more wind" difference. Full keel advantages are nice but if I can't go sail below 15kt, it blocks me a bit lol

Our boats SA/D was 14.1.

Just retro fitted a 175% reacher, copied from the system Island Packet offer as an option. This really hikes up the SA/D.

This should allow sailing in true winds of 5 to 15 kts.

Boat is now all tucked up for the winter alongside in her home berth.

I'll let you know how it goes next season.

If the bat bug allows we shall take another cruise on the Irish East and North coast, then the Isle of Man for the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 08:48   #310

Quote:
Our boats SA/D was 14.1.

Just retro fitted a 175% reacher, copied from the system Island Packet offer as an option. This really hikes up the SA/D.

This should allow sailing in true winds of 5 to 15 kts.

Boat is now all tucked up for the winter alongside in her home berth.

I'll let you know how it goes next season.

If the bat bug allows we shall take another cruise on the Irish East and North coast, then the Isle of Man for the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix.
Thank you ! It would be nice! May I know which boat do you have?
Old 30-11-2021, 15:16   #311

Quote:
Thank you ! It would be nice! May I know which boat do you have?

ERR - it is all there alongside my forum name...................
Old 02-12-2021, 09:56   #312

Quote:
ERR - it is all there alongside my forum name...................
Oh sorry ! yes right I checked your entry thread and you have a island packet.
I plan to buy a Tayana 37 soon as it's in my actual price range and it's good for my girlfriend and I.
When I'll have enough money I'll take a Valiant 42 with the queen bed and the other two-people bed for the time to make a family.
I'm a fan of Perry's design views.

I'm indeed very interested to learn about your feedback on your sail configuration for lightwinds, next season. I've heard about code 0 and such. But whenever we can successfully sail in lightwinds with an efficient configuration of common sails, it might not be worth to buy one.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:33   #313

Quote:
Oh sorry ! yes right I checked your entry thread and you have a island packet.
I plan to buy a Tayana 37 soon as it's in my actual price range and it's good for my girlfriend and I.
When I'll have enough money I'll take a Valiant 42 with the queen bed and the other two-people bed for the time to make a family.
I'm a fan of Perry's design views.

I'm indeed very interested to learn about your feedback on your sail configuration for lightwinds, next season. I've heard about code 0 and such. But whenever we can successfully sail in lightwinds with an efficient configuration of common sails, it might not be worth to buy one.

The SP Cruiser is Island Packets Motorsailer. It weights around 17 tons with full tanks and all the cruising gear on board.

It has a small self tacking jib on a Hoyt boom, a small in mast furling main and the whole concept of the vessel is that it can be easily handled by a mature cruising couple.

15 to 20kts on the beam, sails beautifully. Downwind, good, a bit rolly.

To windward, big leeway. In winds of less than 12kts true, not worth pulling the rags out.

The new reacher/genaker/code zero should address that shortcoming, to some extent anyway.

A friend has a smaller motorsailer, a Colvic Watson 32. He has increased his SA/D significantly which has given his boat a great increase in light wind performance.

We hope to achieve the same.

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat