Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 08:35   #151
lyl

Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I take my CG31 for a full-keel for most discussions, though I agree she's more of a 7/8 or so, if hairs are to be split. That gradual slope aft is actually pretty useful for drying her out on a sandbar, since most sandbars have a gentle slope as well. I can put her aground and prop her up with posts under the chainwales and scrape some barnacles between tides. It's interesting that yours won't sit on her keel--mine is just outside my window right now with two blocks under the keel and four boat stands and no support forward of the house. Perhaps our weight distribution is different--mine usually rides a little high by the bows.
benz,
i agree with you; i'd consider cg31 as a full keel. but i'm new here, so i might be wrong. anyhow, cg31 would be a great first boat for me as well. it sure has a secure spot on the short list.
https://sailboatdata.com/storage/ima...31_drawing.jpg
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 08:54   #152
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Looked at a couple dozen IP’s in our search for a new boat..even visited the IP factory,at that time..but fell in love with Cabo Rico 34 the very first time..and after 15 years we are still in love her and cruise 6 months out of the year and has brought us through some very tough weather conditions in one piece.. Highly recommended if one can find one in good shape
ip349 was the very first full kell i looked at. maybe as a second one in the far future, brand new. nowadays, a snaller used one would be great as well.
don, jim, greg,
cabo rico 34, for example... if i can find one in good condition, for a good price, despite it's not exactly what i look for, i'd consider it.
https://www.boats-caribbean.com/site...s/12695/27.jpg
Old 23-12-2020, 09:01   #153
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Maybe time for this old guy to start buying full keel/long keel boats are restoring them for guys like the OP, Full? I can do the work.

After years of following this forum, the desire does not seem to be diminishing. Many models from which to choose. There seem to be buyers.

Keep well, all.
could be a wise endevaour, a custom restoration business. guys like me can come to you, and pick a full/long keel from your inventory, then a custom restoration built on that hull comes to life.
Old 23-12-2020, 09:03   #154
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by searoom View Post
Check out the Alberg 30 built until 1987. Carl Alberg is responsible for many of the Cape Dory designs.
We love the full keel with protected prop and rudder.
Keeps the lobster pots away!
this would be a great option too.
https://bluewaterboats.org/images/ga...erg30-main.gif
ty
Old 23-12-2020, 09:06   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm late to the party...but my next boat...and probably my last boat....will be a full keel cruiser....no ifs, ands or buts about it...but I'd be looking at the 40-46' range...maybe even 48'....yachtworld has quite a selection....some really good deals...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 09:10   #156
lyl

jim, don, greg,
i think i should've said long / full keel with a well protected rudder. as you gents are more experienced and knowledgable than me, probably a generic imagination of full keel was not a good enough explanation of what i'd like to have one day. i bet there are even more details on top of that, but i guess you get the general idea. thanks again.
Old 23-12-2020, 09:15   #157
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I'm late to the party...but my next boat...and probably my last boat....will be a full keel cruiser....no ifs, ands or buts about it...but I'd be looking at the 40-46' range...maybe even 48'....yachtworld has quite a selection....some really good deals...
you're not late. in fact, you're right on time, buddy. ty for sharing ur plans.
Old 23-12-2020, 09:52   #158

If you are gunkholing in the rocky crags the full keel is nice insurance. We kissed some ledge years ago with a fin keel sloop and it’s not a lot of fun.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 10:54   #159
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by searoom View Post
If you are gunkholing in the rocky crags the full keel is nice insurance. We kissed some ledge years ago with a fin keel sloop and it’s not a lot of fun.
yep, one of the dozens of reasons...
Old 23-12-2020, 12:03   #160
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've owned several and built one fin keel boat....but I have also sailed on and against full keel boats and for my money, if you wanna go cruising, this is the way to go....

I'll give you a typical example of a modern sailboat....the Beneteau.....is your basic French planing type monohull....it has a bolt on keel....fast boat, sails well, etc.....but...
Here's the thing....the cabin sole is about 6-9" above the bottom of the hull....not much at all.....the Bilge" is a shoebox size void in the bolt on keel.....no kidding...maybe less than a shoebox....there is no room for a bilge pump in there....just a hose.....

And now...the problem...when you are heeled over, any water inside the boat will just run to the low side of the hull...it will take several hundred gallons of water, before the float switch activates....and even then....most of the water is in the low side of the hull, where the pick up hose for that little " bilge" can't get to it.....ask me, I know.......you have to get the boat upright in order the drain the bilge...not so easy when at sea....

A full length keel will not have this problem....reason enuff....for me....to want one...

I know not all fin keel boats are like the Beneteau.....but this is but one of many reasons my next boat will be a full keel design....

Sure, the full length keel also has it's issues...I'm aware of that.....but once one has weeded thru' the pro's and con's.....there is much to be said for the full keel designs...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 12:04   #161

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Perhaps our weight distribution is different--mine usually rides a little high by the bows.
Mine rides high by the bow as well. But she has always been heavily loaded, and the v-berth has been a storage area much of the time. Add the ground tackle and dinghy on foredeck contribute. But loaded aft too. I'm trying to put her on a diet... (About as successful as my diet.)

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 14:36   #162
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've owned several and built one fin keel boat....but I have also sailed on and against full keel boats and for my money, if you wanna go cruising, this is the way to go....

I'll give you a typical example of a modern sailboat....the Beneteau.....is your basic French planing type monohull....it has a bolt on keel....fast boat, sails well, etc.....but...
Here's the thing....the cabin sole is about 6-9" above the bottom of the hull....not much at all.....the Bilge" is a shoebox size void in the bolt on keel.....no kidding...maybe less than a shoebox....there is no room for a bilge pump in there....just a hose.....

And now...the problem...when you are heeled over, any water inside the boat will just run to the low side of the hull...it will take several hundred gallons of water, before the float switch activates....and even then....most of the water is in the low side of the hull, where the pick up hose for that little " bilge" can't get to it.....ask me, I know.......you have to get the boat upright in order the drain the bilge...not so easy when at sea....

A full length keel will not have this problem....reason enuff....for me....to want one...

I know not all fin keel boats are like the Beneteau.....but this is but one of many reasons my next boat will be a full keel design....

Sure, the full length keel also has it's issues...I'm aware of that.....but once one has weeded thru' the pro's and con's.....there is much to be said for the full keel designs...
Old 23-12-2020, 17:00   #163

Boat: FORCE 5 14'

Look here for some positive reinforcement: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTm...f_7nTLw/videos
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 17:49   #164

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
Look here for some positive reinforcement: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTm...f_7nTLw/videos
OMG, this is the best one of these ever. This guy's sort-of matter-of-fact delivery is perfect. No preaching or posing. Right up there with the sailing Frenchman. Throw in the classic design and the no-frills, old-school set-up... Awesome.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 23-12-2020, 18:08   #165

Boat: FORCE 5 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
OMG, this is the best one of these ever. This guy's sort-of matter-of-fact delivery is perfect. No preaching or posing. Right up there with the sailing Frenchman. Throw in the classic design and the no-frills, old-school set-up... Awesome.

Thanks for sharing!
You are very welcome.
He was one of the first sailing videos that I found. (beginners luck)
I like that he knows his stuff, and doesn't waste any time with stuffed bikinis.
He has a how to blog too: https://boothbyboats.com/
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat