Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 01:31   #151

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Polux, NICE boats you've posted. As always. Time for me to permanently seduce an owner's daughter, if for naught else than always having a sweet boat to call my own

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38   #152

I grew up sailing a 30' flush deck wood one design class Bird boat designed to be sail and raced on the San Francisco Bay. There were 24 boats built during the 30s. The 1960s weekend race fleet was active with up to 16 boats stating. I did not find a picture of the boat but here is a link to an article of two Birds still active and a link to the boat specs. Most the boats were named after birds our boat was named Snowbird. I remember Robin reference in the article was always a top finisher.
SailBlast: BAY’S OLDEST BOATS FACE OFF FOR BAY’S OLDEST TROPHY
SailBlast: BAY’S OLDEST BOATS FACE OFF FOR BAY’S OLDEST TROPHY
I have a painting of a Bird with the San Francisco skyline in the background hanging in my office. The waterfront looks to by 1950.
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:40   #153

Here is the link to the Bird boat specs BIRD (SF BAY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:37   #154

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

and three more LeComte boats (two are variants of the same - much like Medalist 33 and ALC 35, if you like):
Fastnet 45 (Luders)
FASTNET 45 (LE COMPTE ) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
and
ALC 46 (Luders)
ALC 46 (LE COMTE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
ALC 40 (S&S)
ALC 40 (LE COMTE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

there's a Fastnet 45 now for sale on yachtworld, there were a few more in the states last year (not sure if they sold or taken off the market).
1972 LeComte Fastnet 45 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
and an ALC 40
1974 Le Comte ALC 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:49   #155

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Steady Hand

Thanks you for such a wonderful thread. When we looked for a boat (hubby being a naval architect had very specific criteria. The first being a flush deck, fibreglass and proven sailing characteristics for blue water cruising. Polux who believes smaller flush deck boats are not worth building - I have to strongly disagree and here is why.

Yaraandoo II is a Naut Forty (hence 40 Ft) designed by Joe Adams (for the charter Market) and built by Naut Yachts in Mona Vale, north Sydney in Australia.

She did a world circumnavigation with her previous owner who, purchased the completed Hull and Deck and then kitted her out with solid teak below decks.

We have proudly owned her for 20 years and have added nearly 90,000 nms around the Pacific. We are constantly upgrading, new engine, new sails, new instruments, new galley, new upholstery, ducted heating etc and added clears around the cockpit before we sailed to Alaska. The latest addition being flexible solar panels on the bimini so we can keep the batteries topped up and leave the boat for longer exploration forays ashore.

We could not afford the wonderful hulls Polux posted. Our 40 footer is easily handled and is comfortable to sail. We just completed a trip from Eden to Tasmania across Bass Strait (before the Sydney to Hobart Boats) and did 183 nms the first day and 187 nms the second. We had 2 reefs in the main and a stay sail and had no water on deck until be took the wind on the nose for the last 20 miles and although we were covered in salt spray and green water we did not get wet. We love our flushed deck home. Cheers Sue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yar006yar whitsundays.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	139526   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000415snow.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	139528  

Name:	Yardream.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	139529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Stat2.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	139530  

Name:	P1060010.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	139531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P1060164.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	139532  

Name:	P1000326.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	139533  
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 17:50   #156

Boat: Comet 41s

Sue, that is a very nice sailing boat as well as those LeComte posted above. I have the utmost respect by Joe Adams that was a NA well above his time. If we had lived in Europe I am quite sure is work would be much better known.

Regarding LeComte they are all great designs and very modern for their time and since they were designed by several NA the LeCompte was the motor of that modernity that he demanded to the NA he worked with.

When I said that flush decks are not a good idea for smaller yachts I was referring to the standing height that today is big in almost all boats.

Some old boats sacrificed that extra standing weight for a more beautiful boat and less windage. Not today, I would say, the owners want lots of space so much sometimes that i cannot understand why boats have such a "standing weight" that you cannot reach hatches to open them.

Anyway, 40ft is not that small, specially on old designs that were heavier or less beamy and had a lot more rocker with less "flat" hulls. That allowed to gain some extra height.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:58   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Steady Hand

Thanks you for such a wonderful thread. When we looked for a boat (hubby being a naval architect had very specific criteria. The first being a flush deck, fibreglass and proven sailing characteristics for blue water cruising. Polux who believes smaller flush deck boats are not worth building - I have to strongly disagree and here is why.

Yaraandoo II is a Naut Forty (hence 40 Ft) designed by Joe Adams (for the charter Market) and built by Naut Yachts in Mona Vale, north Sydney in Australia.

She did a world circumnavigation with her previous owner who, purchased the completed Hull and Deck and then kitted her out with solid teak below decks.

We have proudly owned her for 20 years and have added nearly 90,000 nms around the Pacific. We are constantly upgrading, new engine, new sails, new instruments, new galley, new upholstery, ducted heating etc and added clears around the cockpit before we sailed to Alaska. The latest addition being flexible solar panels on the bimini so we can keep the batteries topped up and leave the boat for longer exploration forays ashore.

We could not afford the wonderful hulls Polux posted. Our 40 footer is easily handled and is comfortable to sail. We just completed a trip from Eden to Tasmania across Bass Strait (before the Sydney to Hobart Boats) and did 183 nms the first day and 187 nms the second. We had 2 reefs in the main and a stay sail and had no water on deck until be took the wind on the nose for the last 20 miles and although we were covered in salt spray and green water we did not get wet. We love our flushed deck home. Cheers Sue
That's a no nonsense offshore boat, I really like it. Many years ago I sailed offshore in a Tartan 44 flush deck and it was a good boat as well. Flush decks make for very strong construction compared to raised coach roof. The decks are great to work on as well compared to some of the stylish curves you see on some boats today. Your really kicking butt doing 180 plus mile days, hats off to you guys. Excellent boat in the tropics, cooler without the large side windows. Great pictures by the way!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:34   #158

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Steady Hands,

Thank for this thread. I love FD boats, they just look so nice to my eyes.
I got 3 boats in my life, 2 of them could fit in the FD category by your standard, at least it seems so to me!
My previous boat was a Swan 65 designed by S&S. The deck layout is very nice and practical. It has a lot of space to work and to sunbath but at the same time it is not too "flush" to make it difficult to move on deck when beating.

My actual boat is an Hallberg Rassy 42 Enderlein design. It is a very nice a comfortable cruising boat. We are quite new of this boat, but we are very happy.

Sorry. the images are mixed and i don't know how to put them in the right order.

Andrea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hr42.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	139633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	139634  

Name:	DSCF9090.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	139635   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	139636  

Name:	DSCF0069_edited_2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	139637  
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 20:00   #159
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitangiorg View Post
Steady Hands,

Snip

My previous boat was a Swan 65 designed by S&S. The deck layout is very nice and practical. It has a lot of space to work and to sunbath but at the same time it is not too "flush" to make it difficult to move on deck when beating.

Snip!

Andrea
Hi,

I've always lusted after a Swan 65 or more currently a Swan 68. What caused you to give up your Swan? What was her name? (If you don't mind.)
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 04:02   #160

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Evm, we sailed and lived on Creuza de ma for more than 7 years, chartering her in the carribbean in the winter and in the med in the summer. When we got a daughter we sold her. It is still painful to think about her! We had no other option, we couldn't afford the boat without chartering her all year long, and it was a far too hectic life for a managing a baby!
Last year we got the HR to liveaboard and sail with guest but at our own pace!

You can find more picture in our website

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 03:22   #161
Marine Service Provider

Name:	IMG_1484652144.180536.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	139733
Has nobody added Joshua yet?
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 16:29   #162

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Here is a clean Columbia 43 for sale in California.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/62006
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 04:20   #163
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Baltic 130 'My Song' (2016)
LOA: 39.62 meters

This is a boat that uses twin helms, and on her they make sense because of her beam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3293.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	144367  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 21:55   #164

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Baltic 130 'My Song' (2016)
LOA: 39.62 meters

This is a boat that uses twin helms, and on her they make sense because of her beam.
nice little dinghy
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 17:56   #165

Boat: Swan 432

Swan 43 Ron Holland.

deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck