Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Flush Deck Boats: Illustrated Guide

My Goal?
I hope this thread will serve to educate and stimulate discussion and knowledge about this form of boat construction or boat design, including an appreciation for the best boats that utilize this Flush Deck design concept. And, I hope you will enjoy learning about these boats as I have.

I am not paid by anyone to write this (I have NO financial connection to the owners or sellers of these boats). My writing here on CF is simply a labor of love as I enjoy sharing noteworthy boats. My motivation? I am simply fascinated by boat designs, and consider FD boats interesting as a design category within boat building and design.

Suggested Content or Focus of This Thread?
In this thread I will post photos and descriptions of boats I find that are Flush Deck (FD). This will be an "ongoing thread" or evergreen discussion that will contain examples of boats, links to information about the FD boat, opinions from owners of FD boats, photos of FD boats I find and generally anything about FD boats. FD boats are relatively rare, compared to Trunk Cabin boats, so you may see this thread get lost in the archives for a while, then pop up again when I find a new FD boat to display in this exhibition. I will continue to post what I find as I find it.

Flush Deck Variations.
One thing to be aware of is that some boats may have variations such that one year or model may have flush deck while a variation of that boat may have a small or low trunk cabin. Some FD boats will have a hard dodger and some may even have a pilot house with a flush deck forward of the pilot house. So, there is some flexibility in what may be shown here and discussed. As I view many boats, I will include boats where the boat design has some aspect of a Flush Deck boat, even if it is not described as such in a sale listing.

My POV?
I am not an expert on FD boats, though I have sailed and raced on some of them and admired them for many years. I encourage any CF members who own a FD boat to address the likely technical questions, and I will defer to their knowledge on technical issues. Consider me a guide or curator of the exhibition.

Share Your Experience and Photos!
I encourage any CF members to participate and to contribute to this thread. Feel free to post your own finds, your own FD boats (post photos please), your own anecdotes about your experience with FD boats, or anything you find interesting about FD boats.

Boats for Sale are for Illustrative Purposes
Occasionally I will post photos and a link to a boat that is listed (at the time posted) for sale, but I have no financial connection to that boat or any boat or seller. I use these photos and descriptions because they are accessible and pertinent. I am not selling these boats. I am merely sharing information about boats I find and I post the link to help others here on CF who may be looking for a boat like the ones I find.

I hope it helps others to see a real Asking Price for a currently listed boat, that is my primary reason for doing it (and because I don't have time to answer requests for links to where I found the photos or boats). I do hope if someone does buy one of these boats, that they will then post some photos of it sailing or tell us about it.

Just remember I am not an expert on these boats, my post is not an endorsement of any particular boat, you should always do your own research, and if it is an expensive boat have a professional survey performed. And as I always say: "Caveat Emptor."

Photos I Post are for Illustrative Purposes!
I post the best photos I have found of a boat type to illustrate that model. The photos will be from a mix of sources. So, even if I post a sale listing to show you a recent street price of a boat, I may be posting photos of that particular boat along with additional photos of sister boats of the same model but perhaps not the same year. These photos are to illustrate only. Remember that.

My Hot Topic Tips: Subscribe to this thread! Here's Why:

I hope you enjoy this thread and if you do, I suggest you subscribe to it so you will see the boats I post over time. It is simple to subscribe to a thread on CF, you simply use the drop down Thread Tools menu or simply post a comment (even a simple "I like this" will do) in the thread and you will be automatically subscribed. Be aware that also means you will be notified each time a post is made in the thread. That can be annoying if it is a hot topic. You can choose how often you want to receive email notices about new posts in the thread or you can choose to not receive any email notification at all. I subscribe to MANY threads, but usually choose the option for "weekly" notifications of new posts for special threads I want to monitor.

I think subscribing is a good thing to do, if you want to see new posts on a topic of special interest, especially if you are an infrequent visitor to CF and most especially if you are looking for a particular type of boat and want to see the "sale listing" notifications ASAP. I also use my CF Control Panel to quickly see which of my subscribed threads has had activity, and then surf to it from there.

I mention this because this thread may only see sporadic posting due to the more rare nature of the topic boats.

And as I have learned while looking for relatively rare boats, if one is in the market for a rare boat, it is smart to be notified and aware of newly listed boats as soon as possible! The best opportunities go fast, and I have missed more than a few outstanding boats because I was too late in the buying process (others learned about the boat before me .comand acted before I could).

Fair winds to all!

Tags
deck