Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23   #16

Boat: X442
Re: First Post..... Be gentle :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Thankyou for your response mmmm a tad long and pompous 12000 on a liferaft when mine cost less than 1000 second hand still in date and offshore and for 6 so it does seem to much and checked out people with money do not seem to be avle to batgin hunt like a second hand clothes think they go all wobbly at the knees good to hear that your reading my post though
He mentioned 12k for a raft, water maker and AIS. A bit on the pricy side, but not crazily so.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:33   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hmmm 40 footer, first sailboat, no sailing experience? Not sure that’s a great idea.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:57   #18

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Yes keep looking. This summer a "ready to go" with all the goodies already aboard (For real - ready for a circumnavigation) William Garden designed, Philbrooks built Fast Passage 39 sold out of our marina for, I'm told, Can$45K.

Here is a write-up:

The Fast Passage 39 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Here is the arrangements sketch and the specs:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/fast-passage-39

All the best

TrentePIeds
I'd be very surprised if a fast passage 39 sold for 45k unless the vessel had some issue that needed a major rework needing done.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:16   #19

And so was I. However, she had sat unused by elderly owners for several years. Had I been thirty or forty years younger than I am, I would have had a serious look, as she was on the market for $65K a few months before the sale, and that was down from (I believe) $95K two or three years ago.

But at the age of 80 I'm not gonna go anyplace that TrentePieds won't take me :-)

TP's PO gave her away against a Receipt for Taxation Purposes to a Charitable Organization that organizes and finances sailing for para- and would you believe - quadraplegics! This happens out of Jericho Sailing Centre in Vancouver BC.

Obviously, picking up good boats for very little money depends largely on being in the right place at the right time. That is why it's important to keep looking :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:24   #20

Boat: Freedom 32'

I looked for five years. I have a Freedom 32. It is set up for singlehanded sailing. Has less rigging than standard boats and I love it. Wide beam, totally liveable. Google 1985 Freedom 32. Well within your range money wise.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44   #21

Further to what Zengirl said, here is a Kretschmer review of the Freedom 32.

Freedom 32

For the non-racing man, there is a good deal to be said for catboats. For newbs: Not to be confused with catamarans!

TP

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 13:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmyles View Post
Hi Cruisers,

I am looking for some advice please. I have been dreaming about telling the boss to take his job and... for quite a while now and am getting steadily closer to the mark.

The dream is to explore the world whilst taking my home (boat) with me. I have done a little sailing over the years but have spent most of my time on the water in powered fishing and pleasure boats, so whilst I have spent a lot of time on the water, I am definitely a sailing novice. I have no concerns as to whether I will enjoy the lifestyle as this has been my dream for 40 odd years.

It looks like I will be single handing for the most part, however will look to take on crew if I come across people that are the right fit.

So the advice part, what boat to buy?

I am going to need something that
  1. Is a proven blue water boat
  2. can be sailed both short and single handed
  3. is forgiving for a novice
  4. has the space for crew
  5. and isn't stupidly expensive

I am realistic about budget (I think) and expect that if I can find a boat in the $20k to $30k range i will probably spend as much again refiting/upspecing the boat to suit my needs.

I have seen a 1987 O'Day 40 on yacht world that seems to fit my needs almost perfectly but I know nothing about the O'Days, are there any O'Day owners or previous owners out their that might have some advice?
Is this completely the wrong boat for my needs?
Are there better options that i may not have come across?
have I stumbled across nirvana at the first go?

Thanks in advance

David
Hi David, CaptVR here, quick opinion. You will find dozens of boats that will work for your needs. 40 foot is getting to the top of the single handling stage. I know dozens in the high 20's and low 30's. But one thing I would recommend, get a cutter, especially if your planning on single handling a lot. I've been a professional capt (licensed) for 40 years, a marine surveyor for 30 years. With a cutter, you have the standard jib if you wish to fly it. But night crossing or passages just use main and staysail, staysail is self tending. Makes for very safe, easy to come about and easier to shorten sail. In light to moderate air, fly all sails and watch the sea past behind. After inspecting 1000's of boats in seas all over this hemisphere, a boat in the size your looking for, one of my favorites would be a CSY 37. Cutter rig, flush deck, good visability 360 degrees while sailing, moderate draft and a comfortable under body for most sea conditions.
Back in the mid 80's a hurricane went through StMartin, I went down there for an insurance carrier group. Beneteau's and Jeanneau's were lined up in the shipyards with their keels beside them, the CSY fleets had scrapes and dings, no major damage. So I know the CSY's are built well.
Wish you well in your hunt, I do like the CSY37, keep in mind, these were mostly built for the charter trade in the Caribbean, hulls were designed and built super tuff. But being in the charter groups, most were rode hard and put away wet. So much time has past, many have been updated by new owers, many cheaper ones will require copious amounts of TLC...
Happy hunting, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret St. Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:07   #23

I owned a 1988 O'day 40 for several years. The shoal draft version. It is a very good sailor. The deep draft version goes better to windward, but I found the shoal draft keel to be more than adequate. The boat has a good capsize number and is acceptably fast in light air. Boats after number 195 had increased sail area which is desirable. I found the boat to be well balanced in all conditions. About the worst weather I saw in her, was just after a hurricane passed with 32-38 knot winds with higher gusts. She sailed nicely with just a 150 jib reefed down to about a 135 and no mainsail. I'm just mostly day sailing now but I would definitely buy the boat again if I was going cruising.

The first ones were sailed over from France so she is definitely offshore capable. if you have more questions let me know.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:04   #24

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

Obviously, picking up good boats for very little money depends largely on being in the right place at the right time. That is why it's important to keep looking :-)

TP

You certainly have that right !!

Like the '95 Catana 41 catamaran that sat for several years molding away in the Port Ludlow Marina. The mainsail cover was not properly installed, and over the years came off almost completely. I always lusted after that boat every time I sailed there.
I asked the marina about it and was told that the family would never sell it.

One day it was gone. I found out the owner died, the family sold it for $35k.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 16:17   #25

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I would suggest a boat in the size range of 28ft to maybe 34ft would suit you and your budget better. You should be able to get a well designed and built boat that has had a caring owner for about that money in this market. One will turn up here for you possibly if enough people see your post. The boat I bought here in Australia I paid $27K ( Aust ) for. Asking $49K. It had been owned by a couple for 20 years and had cruised extensively. Set up with all the gear to sail off again, series drogue, liferaft, self steering,auto pilot, solar, refrig, heater, charts, 2 gps, SSB, windlass, 3 anchors, tools, spares for everything etc etc. And she is in perfect condition, nothing to spend. 4 layers of NZ kauri so very strong and not too heavy.
Good boats are out there and can be had for half the asking price if you are polite about your offer and show enthusiasm. Most owners who have had their boats for a long time and looked after, want them to go to a good home where they will be cared for.
I bought a boat 45 years ago for almost nothing from an Offshore Tug captain who told me that she had been telling him that she wanted to go for a long cruise..... he was unable to take her as he had a very good paying job. We are still good friends and that boat went a long way so all were happy. I wish you the best of luck, if you believe strongly enough a boat will turn up for you and will change your life, one way or the other !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 19:25   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Wink Re: First Post..... Be gentle :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Welcome and Happy hunting look for a smaller good sea boat and go for it do og be put of with the 30 year experience guys and don't spend a fortune doing it up plenty second hand stuff out there and replacing rigging twice is 12 years in another post and spending 12000 on a liferaft show people have to much money than sense. Work towards your goal do most work yourself and most old electronics on a boat will do just as good for ocean sailing such tripe come up on here you really need to work through it, good seamanship like a navigation course is good and the get yourself Rya days skippers US equivalent and head out gaining experience as you go if you have the right attitude and mental commitment you will do it do not give up on. Your dream and do not let any one tell you it's. Not possible if everything in life was not possible we would as a species be extinct by now, God bless the armchair admirals
Tarian: please read posts carefully before replying. The rigging was replaced twice for insurance purposes (two companies would not insure the boat if the rigging was more than 12 years old) and the liferaft bill was $5K not $12K. A watermaker (not cheap) plus additional electronics were included in the $12K bill.

Your advice is less convincing as a result of inaccurate interpretation of other posts. And, the primary advice was that it always costs more than optimistic estimates, even if buying second hand gear with a limited lifetime. Our first liferaft was second hand for $800 - also 6 person, offshore. However, after another 10 years the manufacturer would not longer service it. A questionable life raft then only takes up space, adds weight and might not perform when needed.

I don't think anybody has said don't do this, only caveat emptor. I hope that the OP gets the boat that he wants, at a reasonable price and equips it appropriately within his budget
Old 12-10-2019, 20:54   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerjockey View Post

The first ones were sailed over from France so she is definitely offshore capable. if you have more questions let me know.
I didn't know that. I thought they were all built on the US East Coast. How long did they build them in France.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 03:42   #28

Any solid mono hull, with all well sealed hatches and passages to below deck, will be seaworthy and right itself even if knocked down.
I have absolutely no observation whatever to offer on any other hull design.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 06:19   #29

There are some amazing deals out there right now.

I frequently peruse sailboat listings and I see a lot more and better boats than ten years ago, (when we happened to be looking for a bigger boat to go cruising) at very reasonable prices.

This is not the worst time ever to be looking for a cruising boat.
Old 13-10-2019, 08:44   #30

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I think your long standing dream is a fine one. I had and many here have had the same one. I believe your budget puts you more in the 28 to 32 foot size. Somebody previously said this. Its not just the buying, Its keeping it up.Check the price of a mainsail for say a 32 foot boat. Then check the price for a new mainsail for a 40 foot boat. The saying " A boat is a hole in the water to throw your money in" was coined for a reason. Lynn and Larry Pardy and others have written lots of books that will realistically inform you of these costs and many other necessary things. I have spent the last 4 years in the Southern Ocean. While there are many production boats out there sailing set up for only two reefs in the Main and no idea how to Heave To. I advise against that. I also advise against the theory a Drogue will be an easier answer to Heaving To. Skip Novak speaks to this very well. I only do crossings in the non cyclone time of year and have needed to Heave Too twice. Skip Novak has some very good Utube videos on storm tactics.As others have ssid you need to be handy and you need to get to really know your boat. Well before you head off cruising. Do as much sailing on other peoples boats as you can. Much can be learned about safety, navigation, sail trim etc. For the the cost of being a good helpful hand. Coast Guard Auxillary can cheaply provide you with many skills as well. Personally I think the ASA and other schools are money better spent in other ways like your cruising Kitty or your new to you boat. I spent years learning from people I respected before buying my cruising choice. Southern Cross made some great boats in your price range. In 10 years of cruising I have never regreted my choice of one. Cheers and good luck to you.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote