Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 20:40   #556

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Cebu is an Island with many towns, including one called Cebu! Got the name of the town? I'm actually near Moalboal, lots of dive shops here.
Old 01-10-2011, 20:53   #557
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Sorry, forgot how many in the Philippines.
Stu's in Cebu City. We were there several times in the late 70s and 80s.
Like you said lots of Dive shops. Stuart was originally a Pom, married a Filipina, had a daughter, had a shop and used to slurp up fish and sell them o/s.
Email me direct: capjack2j@gmail.com
banyandah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 07:57   #558

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

So I'm thinking of building a ferro barge to mount a house on! Nothing fancy, just basic 20 x 40 barge hull somewhere between 4' and 6' deep. Moor it out in the bay and build a nice little nippa hut on it. Put a tin roof on to catch rain water and store the water in a ferro tank on or just below the deck for use to wash etc. Can haul out drinking water from town. Solar panels and a wind generator for power with maybe a back up honda generator to charge of the batteries if needed.

That's the idea. What do you folks who know so much more than I do about Ferro think of it?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 22-10-2011, 08:02   #559

Boat: Watkins 29'

I would much rather have a marine plywood barge wrapped in fiberglass....
Old 22-10-2011, 08:17   #560

Boat: hunter 376

Cement hulls, or floats, are considered the gold standard for floathome construction.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 08:29   #561

I should qualify that a bit... engineered concrete floats are considered the gold standard for floathome flotation. Here in BC, there is a move towards regulating floathome construction, and most floathome villages now require compliance to code before allowing a home into the village, although there are some grandfathering exemptions.
You may have a hundred regulatory hurdles to consider before consider the best material for floatation.
Your idea might be about 20 years to late.
Cheers.
David
Old 22-10-2011, 08:36   #562

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
So I'm thinking of building a ferro barge to mount a house on! Nothing fancy, just basic 20 x 40 barge hull somewhere between 4' and 6' deep. Moor it out in the bay and build a nice little nippa hut on it. Put a tin roof on to catch rain water and store the water in a ferro tank on or just below the deck for use to wash etc. Can haul out drinking water from town. Solar panels and a wind generator for power with maybe a back up honda generator to charge of the batteries if needed.

That's the idea. What do you folks who know so much more than I do about Ferro think of it?

Thanks,

Thomas
I think its a great idea...but would also construct the hut/superstructure from Ferro...you can decorate it as you like after.
This is a rendering of a little project we've been thinking of out of farro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	538
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	32818  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 09:09   #563

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Should be a fairly easy build if you've got access to a floating dry dock or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	32820  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 09:22   #564

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
So I'm thinking of building a ferro barge to mount a house on! Nothing fancy, just basic 20 x 40 barge hull somewhere between 4' and 6' deep..........
Ferro barges were built as part of the support structure for the Mulberry Harbour for the Normandy Landings during WW2. You might consider this to be a temporary construction! I saw one of these being used as a houseboat in the mid 80s

I would suggest that provided it is constructed professionally and great care taken during the build, that a ferro hull is a good long term choice. You will however, find that insurance companies are not experienced in this, and may be difficult to get coverage.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:29   #565
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Even though I am adimately against ferro cement for boats, it is one of the best materials for a floating home (there is actually a floating house being built here in Port Townsend, WA now, based on a cement base biult for the purpose).
Old 22-10-2011, 11:32   #566

Thats the apparent contradiction, isnt it? Best material for floathomes, worst for boats. (not everyone would agree with either statement though.)

"The problem with quotes on the internet is the difficulty in verifying the authenticity of the quote and crediting its source."

Abraham Lincoln
Old 22-10-2011, 12:23   #567
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I would not consider there being a difference between a static barge and an ocean cursing sailboat (though both are homes) a contradiction.
Though some people take what is said in forums as fact (as well as what they say as the only possible answer), the whole beauty of the thing (and a loose definition of a forum) is to allow peoples opinions to be voiced openly with the hope that people, including those voicing, will learn from what is said.
Old 22-10-2011, 12:42   #568

Boat: Trismus 37

nothing wrong with drinking rain water unless you are in an area with high amounts of air pollution, We along with most country folk here in NZ it is all we have.
No health issues at all. though those who think they can make a buck out of it will try to tell you differently. Ferro is a great material for water tanks, just build in a water storage tank integral with the hull.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 13:23   #569
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Yacht 66, ferro floating home would be perfect if constructed correctly. Make sure the mortar has full penetration into the mesh, no voids, especially a problem near the frames, use a vibratory, but with caution, or the whole shebang might slip. BTW, Found my mate, he's moved out of Cebu City and built a small resort near the bottom of the island. Says its pretty slow over there - what's new I said.
I also agree on making the supersture from ferro, easy to do mate, freeform it. not so critical to get 100% penetration so scree on enough to stiffen the mesh, let it cure and then fill it up for the strength. We've built tanks and house this way. Love James's idea, and his design of a floating Oasis is magic. Perfect for the islands, fish, dive, urinate all by walking to the edge. Ah what a life.

But Mike Vodges you're heading for trouble if your think marine ply and glass are going to last. ANY penetration and water ingresses and rot sets in. Marine Ply today is NOT bullet proof, just means the core has no faults. Remember all those Tawain yachts with horrible rotting decks. Fibreglass does not stick to ply with it gets wet, epoxy might, but glass acts like a heat blanket and speeds up wet rot from rain. Ferros the go. More on our website. Click my nick for the address. Cheers from down under
banyandah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 14:15   #570

Boat: Careel 22

A couple of questions for all FC boat owners.
1: Why did you buy a FC boat
2: What check-ups did you do, or have done, on your FC boat "before" you bought it
3: Do you have any regrets on buying your FC boat

Thanking you all in advance for your answers

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro