Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 04:17   #526
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Strong dislike...

Having built a ferro cement yacht from plans I can at least claim to have some knowledge of how they were built some 40 odd years ago.

Now, coming to the end of a major fitout of a large boat I believe that I have some inkling of what is involved. See my blog for details.

As for disliking ferro cement, my opinion would be close to the same no matter what the hull was made of. Its the age of the hull and the unknown build quality that's the concern.

4000+ hours flipping burgers should yield about $40+k. Add that to what's needed to bring this boat to cruising condition and you're looking at $140+k. Should buy a very nice boat in today's market.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:46   #527

Boat: 55ft Taku Tori - Built NZ 1971
Re: Mooring Points

[QUOTE=MattDamon2927;555211]Hi all, I am currently working on my ferro boat and I have a technical question. well 3 actually...

1) My boat has strange metal eyes set into the outside of the hull instead of any form of mooring cleat on deck. I have never seem this set up before in my life. I understand how to make a hole in my ferro deck for mooring cleats, but how much support would I need to build under the deck? A steel plate I imagine? How large would it need to be and how do you secure it? The boat is 27 tons and 54' in length.

James, the eyes may be for attaching an anchor bridel or a bridel snubber (a nylon line). The idea is that the snubber pulls from a lower point on the hull (bow) to reduce the anchor leverage on the higher stem and the anchor rode angle. The bridel or snubber is permanantly attached to the eye/s and is stored on deck. When the anchor chain is let out, once the anchor is set you clip on the snubber and let out more chain until the snubber takes the anchor load.

Our boat Taku Tori weighs a little more than yours and we use 2 snubbers of 3/4" nylon around 20 feet long. If it's a rough anchorage as sometimes found in Pacific atolls, we attach longer lines up to 50 feet long. This saves your deck cleats, anchor hardware/windlass from the shock loads.

Snubbers are only good for achorages where there is wave action. Otherwise set the hook and make the cocktails!

Your deck equipment and backing plates should be as large and as heavy as you can install. Your boat weighs 27 Tons - what's another 100 pounds when it comes to peace of mind and a good nights sleep.

Bill Tait
S/V Taku Tori
TAKUTORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:40   #528

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

An old friend had one and though she was heavy, he loved her and sailed her all around Texas. I have lost track of him ( sorry !), the boats name was Black Dog.

Try emailing this guy, he has one for sail

Samson 32, 1990, Lake Texoma, Texas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas

This one sailed all around the Caribbean.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 25-08-2011, 22:41   #529

Thanks for all the input. I realize its a big big project. But I am single with no kids......its either something like this or go build a log cabin!
I was thinking all the gear from engine to masts would be worth the price of $2500, not including the hull, perhaps I could put an offer in just on that and find/build my own hull? It does cost $2500 to keep that hull at the Marina too, I'm told, although it can be floated to a different location.

I like the idea of ferroconcrete because of it relative permenance. Has anyone ever heard of a Dutch style canal barge being built out of ferroconcrete as a liveaboard? It might be well suited as a material for that type of vessel.
A.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 00:38   #530

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

I don't know where you're located, but if you look around you may be able to find a much less costly alternative to keep her on the hard while you work on her. Look for Marina's in small towns and not near big cities they tend to be much cheaper. Avoid California at all costs. Nothing is cheap there! LOL

Regards,

Thomas
Old 28-08-2011, 14:47   #531

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Thanks for all the input. I realize its a big big project. But I am single with no kids......its either something like this or go build a log cabin!
Actually, your options are buy that boat and spend the next 5 years working on it and also playing the fees for dry storage.

Or you can eat ramen for a year, work your ass off in normal jobs, scrimp and save up another 5-10k and buy a 28-30ft boat you can actually go sailing on pretty much immediately.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 15:17   #532
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Went to your blog ..Wow, Im really impressed.Seems like a full life of wonder and beauty..if I ever was to have children I would like to live a life like yours from what I have seen !Sweet very ,very sweet. DVC
Hi tropicalescape and thanks. I don't want to hijack this thread, only mention we have a book on our travels now available worldwide.
Old 28-08-2011, 15:40   #533
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I was thinking all the gear from engine to masts would be worth the price of $2500, not including the hull, perhaps I could put an offer in just on that and find/build my own hull? It does cost $2500 to keep that hull at the Marina too, I'm told, although it can be floated to a different location.
You seem well grounded and realize that derelict projects are a grand way to get plenty of boat and gear for little money. But that route only works if you can do the work yourself, and actually do complete the project. Another salient point, with ferro, the resale value is low. So you may be putting in many hours of labor and thousands of dollars and end up with a boat with little resale value. On the other hand, one doesn't need a glamorous boat to go cruising. So, if you have little cash and little opportunity of generating funds, and plenty of time....well, from the photos you're getting a lot for $2500. Let us know what you decide.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:17   #534

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

One can't help but wonder just why the resale value of these boats is so low? What does the market know that I don't? Curious that!

Thomas
Old 30-08-2011, 17:28   #535

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
wonder just why the resale value of these boats is so low
the same reason wooden boat value is low, they are considered terminal as in end, over and out.

If you like the boat why not get it to work on it. you can slum it, make sure the boat hull is ok, then live on it and do what ever you want with it. Dont try and live up to other peoples expectations on what is a cruising boat.
What is the goal here? if the boat fits that then get it.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:01   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
One can't help but wonder just why the resale value of these boats is so low? What does the market know that I don't? Curious that!
Seems no matter how often it's said, some people just can't get their head around the simple fact that resale price is a property of the purchase price.

That's the way markets work.

Still don't get it? Maybe put it this way. If a ferro boat costs $20K and you can sell if for $40K, then you wouldn't be able to buy one for $20K, would you.

Ferro boats are cheap to buy and you'll get a sale price of the same order that you paid...if you're ever mad enough to sell it.

The bottom line is that market prices for boats are largely a reflection of fashion...people are sheep and, sad but true, most people just want what the bloke in the next slip has got.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:19   #537

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
the same reason wooden boat value is low, they are considered terminal as in end, over and out.
I wouldnt put wooden boats in the same class as ferro.

I haven´t seen a ferro boat on the market here in europe for more than 20k EUR. To be fair though i havent been looking.

Whilst looking at classic wooden boats, (1890-1940) i have struggled to find anything 30ft plus and seaworthy below 40k EUR. Wooden boats are works of art, built by highly skilled shipwrights who a century ago were experts in building solid seaworthy working vessels. Ferro can be home built, buy unskilled hands and therefore I think ferro scares people because it is very difficult to survey and very difficult to know whether it will crumble on the first wave it meets. Therefore the thought of buying and going to sea in a cheap ferro boat sends shivers up my spine.
Old 30-08-2011, 21:06   #538

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

All Ferro boats are now quite old, most are 30 - 40 yrs old and to be scared that they are going to suddenly fall apart is ridiculous. The passage of time has weeded out most of the bad ones and any remaining that have actually been maintained and travelled and many have ,are as good as boats of any material. That they are difficult to survey is not any different to glass boats as without accurate documentation of the build you dont know the makeup of the structure of either and this includes production boats. When i built a 40ft Hartley nearly 40yrs ago it was common practice to document the build and have it certified by a surveyor for this very reason. I am not so sure that ferro boats are as cheap as everyone seems to think either,about the only place where i have ever seen any quantity of them listed for sale is on the Ferroboats site and the asking prices are not out of line with similar vintage glass boats, i realise that asking prices are not an indication of what they actually sell for but this is so for all boats and cars and houses and....you get the picture.
As a matter of interest to anyone who actually likes ferro, there was recently, maybe still, one of those Laurie Davidson designed 40 ft ferro keelboats with a very modern hull shape for the day that were built by Ferrocraft marine in New Zealand for sale as a project on Trademe.com. These were an interesting boat as they used treated pine stringers in the armature, they were as modern as any designs of any material when built and very attractive. The add claims that 30 were built i think.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 01:07   #539

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra

I was looking at this last year before buying my havsfidra,

Colin Archer Double Ender Boats for sale Spain, Colin Archer Used boat sales, Colin Archer Sailing Yachts For Sale colin archer ferrocement cutter - Apollo Duck

Although i have been sceptical on this thread about ferro, the size and price of this yacht still interest me. However when i went to view it last year i was put off by this fear i have of ferro because i know nothing about it. But the yacht is still there 1 year on, unsold and reduced in price by 5.000 EUR.

WHat dýa think? Put in an offer for 5000 EUR? take it off their hands? or will i just have the same problems??
Old 31-08-2011, 01:36   #540
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Local cruising?

The problem with ferro is that its a big unknown, so can you afford the risk of losing the boat, your money and any associated liability?

If you were to buy it I'd strongly recommend doing local cruising only until you are totally comfortable with the boat and making sure that you have a minimum of a fully buoyant dinghy or inflated inflatable.

But maybe that's looking at a worst case scenario...

Its your call.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro