Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2024, 11:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36s7
DIY Boatyards in San Diego County, California

Hello to all! I have just purchase a Beneteau 36s7 in San Diego, CA and will be keeping her at the Safe Harbor Marina in Chula Vista. I need a few things completed and I would like some recommendations for a DIY Boatyard to haul out for approximately five days. My list of tasks include bottom paint, Thru Hull fitting replacement, Prop Service, New Zincs and possible Rudder Post Bearings.

I have seen and older thread regarding this topic but hope there are others in the area with knowledge of yards I can contact. So far I am aware of Driscolls in Mission Bay and Koehler Kraft. If any members have some helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any bottom paint suggestions would be appreciated. I am planning on using West Marine PCA but will be happy to consider other brands. Thank You!
Wayward 36s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 14:38   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: DIY Boatyards in San Diego County, California

Here, let me google that for you

https://www.driscollmissionbay.com/diy-work
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 20:46   #3

Thank You for the link. What I am really looking for is some personal experience from others who have used DIY yards in the area and their advice. I still have not decided if I want to tackle bottom paint myself or have a boatyard do it.
Old 11-02-2024, 21:04   #4

I'm surprised there is any yard in San Diego that allows DIY. I can't speak for therez but since there haven't been many responses, I can speak in general about DIY yards in California (or lack thereof). Some gotchas from San Francisco a few years ago.

I could find only one DIY yard - Berkeley Marine. They had only a few DIY spaces and they had a lengthy wait list. They also required paint be purchased through their chandlery at Shylock prices. Plus laydays were charged separately, as was haul, power wash, and blocking. In the end, savings with DIY even if they had room wasn't great given the bottom job work is a fixed/bundled price.

Beer of luck finding what you're looking for. DIY in California is probably pretty rare.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 21:40   #5

There is a yard in Oxnard that would let you do some work yourself.
Good place to look at.

https://www.thelog.com/
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 23:35   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37

Driscoll's Mission Bay is likely your best choice. Constant stream of DIY types coming and going. A great free 72 hour anchorage close by which makes it convenient for before and after if you are coming from elsewhere. I launched my boat there after a refit and they were really patient with me stepping the mast and getting the standing rigging secured before I moved to my slip. Was there last weekend and the yard looked 1/2 to 3/4 full, in the summer it usually is pretty packed in there.
LifeofBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 08:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofBrian View Post
Driscoll's Mission Bay is likely your best choice. Constant stream of DIY types coming and going. A great free 72 hour anchorage close by which makes it convenient for before and after if you are coming from elsewhere. I launched my boat there after a refit and they were really patient with me stepping the mast and getting the standing rigging secured before I moved to my slip. Was there last weekend and the yard looked 1/2 to 3/4 full, in the summer it usually is pretty packed in there.
I have called them for a quote and no one has gotten back with me as of yet. They said an email will be sent with some pricing. Can I ask you how much the haul out fee was? Did they included a pressure wash or is that extra? I am happy to take the boat there but I also do not live in California so I have to also consider added overnight expenses for any yard I may use.
Old 13-02-2024, 08:15   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward 36s7 View Post
Can I ask you how much the haul out fee was?

Old 13-02-2024, 08:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

Thanks but their rate sheet is under construction and according to their front page, the haul out fee starts at $21.00 per foot which equals $756.00. That seems a little extreme. If this is the price then I would rather use Koehler Kraft.
Old 13-02-2024, 08:49   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward 36s7 View Post
Thanks but their rate sheet is under construction...
Follow the link
Old 14-02-2024, 08:05   #11

Boat: Endeavour 37

I do not know if a pressure wash is included and am not surprised it is taking some time for them to respond. I had my boat trucked there in June of 2021 and paid for it to be offloaded and launched directly. In the end it was about $600 for the travellift to lift the boat off the truck and place it in the water. The crane to step the mast was $400 an hour, 1 hour minimum, I used the whole hour and had several friends there helping in addition to the yard workers who were helping. The total bill was 1K, I would not expect to be able to haul out my boat and relaunch in San Diego for less than that but I am not from there and have not spent much time calling around asking for prices since then.
LifeofBrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boatyards, cal, california, DIY, san diego