Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 13:33   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Dufour

Vintage dufours are really sturdy and strong boats, I put those old dufours in the same level as Wuaquiez in terms of quality and strength, today they are a step fwd or 2 v any other plastic French production boats like Bene, Jeaneau or Bavarias...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 03:01   #17

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
... today they are a step fwd or 2 v any other plastic French production boats like Bene, Jeaneau or Bavarias...
I thought so but things seem to be changing. Yeloia that has some new ones on its charter fleet says they are no better than Jeanneau or Beneteau. Even had said they gave more problems.

They changed the way they are built that are now pretty much the same way as Jeanneau or Beneteau using single skin and a molded inside skin.

But is good to remember that there are two lines on Dufour, the GL, the cheapest and what they call the performance line, more expensive and better built.

For all that you mentioned probably Bavaria are the better built ones (not talking about finnish) with cored hulls above waterline and a keel structure that is not an integral molded one. They use also kevlar on impact zones, on the bow.

But I would agree with Barnakiel that regarding built quality the differences are not big among mass production main market boats and that the choosing would be made more in what regards the type of hull, interior quality and layout regarding personal preferences.

If you want a better built boat, slightly more expensive buy a Salona, a Dehler or the new Maxi 1200 (made by Delphia).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 07:29   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen (recent) Dufours with the kind of issues that no manufacturer should let pass thru their garage door. The same can be said of any other modern plastick boats. If I were to elect Dufour over any other of the pack, this could be solely on the basis of my personal likes and dislikes, NOT quality.

They are all of the same quality.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 12:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have seen (recent) Dufours with the kind of issues that no manufacturer should let pass thru their garage door. The same can be said of any other modern plastick boats. If I were to elect Dufour over any other of the pack, this could be solely on the basis of my personal likes and dislikes, NOT quality.

They are all of the same quality.

b.
Just by coincidence a fried surveyor commented today with me a survey he had made on a GL 445 (he was on its way to the boat for more work on it when I got a lift on his car). I would not use his words, that were not nice, but he said it is worse than Jeanneau or Beneteau, supporting Yeloia comments.

His girl friend has a Dufour 44, from the performance line and he says that without being nothing of extraordinary, it has nothing to do with the Dufour GL line.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Just by coincidence a fried surveyor commented today with me a survey he had made on a GL 445 (he was on its way to the boat for more work on it when I got a lift on his car). I would not use his words, that were not nice, but he said it is worse than Jeanneau or Beneteau, supporting Yeloia comments.

His girl friend has a Dufour 44, from the performance line and he says that without being nothing of extraordinary, it has nothing to do with the Dufour GL line.
Could it be that there is a CATALOG that shows the differences?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 12:56   #21

Quote:

Just not sure you should trust a fried surveyor though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just not sure you should trust a fried surveyor though!
Ok, a friend that is a surveyor
Old 14-05-2016, 09:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Could it be that there is a CATALOG that shows the differences?
What do you mean? On a detailed technical file you can see some differences but there is nothing like looking at the real thing with a deep knowledge of modern building techniques and materials, taking some measurements, see how the boat is built and having a big comparative reference basis.

The Surveyor that I was referring is the main man in what regards Comar yachts maintenance and besides that he makes surveys on all brands mostly in Italy, Greece and Turkey, a huge number, mostly recent modern sailing yachts. In Italy they call it Perito Navale (to a certified surveyor).
Old 14-05-2016, 10:08   #24

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
What do you mean? On a detailed technical file you can see some differences but there is nothing like looking at the real thing with a deep knowledge of modern building techniques and materials, taking some measurements, see how the boat is built and having a big comparative reference basis.

The Surveyor that I was referring is the main man in what regards Comar yachts maintenance and besides that he makes surveys on all brands mostly in Italy, Greece and Turkey, a huge number, mostly recent modern sailing yachts. In Italy they call it Perito Navale (to a certified surveyor).

Maybe you know the scantlings in hulls and decks for example !!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:08   #25

Boat: Dufour 34e, 2011, 10,30m

Quote:
My friends sailed a Dufour 34 round the world it was a great, strong boat and above most of the other production boats from what I could tell. Not sure today's Dufours are of that type though.
Wonderfull !

We are French and have just bought a Dufour 34 E (2011). With other owners of Dufour 34, we try to group ourself to discuss the technical points specific to the Dufour 34. We will try to dialogue with Dufour Yachts to retrieve technical data on this boat.

You can also join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dufour34.FanClub/
Jjerome78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 01:47   #26

Boat: Dufour 34e, 2011, 10,30m

Quote:
My friends sailed a Dufour 34 round the world it was a great, strong boat and above most of the other production boats from what I could tell. Not sure today's Dufours are of that type though.
Hello Cheechako,

what kind of dufour 34 ? the last one, built beetween 2003 to 2011 ?
Jjerome78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 05:23   #27

We chartered a 2018 Dufour 42 GL last month in the BVIs from DYC. We considered it a nice boat and a good charter boat. It sailed very well, easily doing 8-8.5kts on a beam reach in 15kt wind. I don't know what equipment is standard, but the autopilot worked well. We would charter another one without concern.

I think many boats in this size range that are used for chartering are about the same - meaning they are generally good boats.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote