Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2024, 10:51   #16

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16
Re: Dodger Quotation

Dodgers are hard work, supplies, especially Sunbrella have gone way up in price, a GOOD professional is totally worth it. I have done all of my own canvas work, but, I can certainly tell the difference between my abilities, and someone who does it for a living.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 11:16   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bogardus View Post
I’ve done some sewing on my boat and am a long term hands-on type of guy. I got a quote for a Sunbrella and SS dodger and decided I could build a hard dodger for way less money which worked out to be the case….way less $$$ but way more time to execute. Even with basic sewing skills dodger canvas sewing is not easy to get right and tight. My hard dodger has some advantages and also some disadvantages but I am happy with the outcome.
Nice! Is that a Pearson Ariel you have there? I’d be interested in more of the details of how you built that!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 12:05   #18

I second Bill’s suggestion that you consider Makrolon (polycarbonate) for the front window. The Makrolon in my dodger is still as clear as glass after 8 years. It’s like looking through a car windshield instead of an old shower curtain.

While Makrolon can’t be rolled like strataglass it can be installed with zippers so that it can be removed or swung up for ventilation. But many boats never fold down their dodger.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 13:12   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Like others here, I trundled down to my local Walmart and picked up a relatively inexpensive sewing machine. Seeing as I wasn't planning on becoming a seamstress, I wanted something basic that would sew thru' several layers of cloth with a zig-zag thread pattern.
At a fabric store, I was able to source the sunbrella, and more importantly, the correct thread I needed and also the correct needles. Likewise I was able to source the clear panels.

As the frame was already on the boat, I made a pattern using tape and stiff paper to represent the final thing. This is were some care must be taken as you must anticipate where the seams will be, etc.

Sewing it together was made simple by pre-joining the pieces together with pins.

Here I must sidetrack for a minute as I did spend some time sewing " test" panels before tackling the real thing.

Then I went to work and manage to complete the whole thing in an afternoon. Did it look professional, probably not, but quite acceptable. Also made a cover for the front clear panels.
The hardest part...the zippers, struggled with these a bit.

Feeling rather chuffed at my success, I went on to sew new sail covers for main and mizzen, and also new shade awnings from bow to stern.

There really is no magic behind it all. Take the time to review how other's are made.

Don't remember the costs for everything, but it was under $1,000, including the sewing machine for the dodger. Later sail covers and awnings was the price of the fabric only, as I had everything else.

I am a diehard DIY-er though, but I was prompted to tackle this myself as prices quoted to me required me to rob a bank first.

It was not a complicated project, but one does need to tackle the project with care and planning, especially at the seams where extra fabric is required.

Besides the $$ savings, there also comes the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and are now able to do repairs in any location you want.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 14:41   #20

Boat: Storfidra 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Nice! Is that a Pearson Ariel you have there? I’d be interested in more of the details of how you built that!
Don, I PM’d you. My dodger project was done on a Storfidra 25.
Randy Bogardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 17:50   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Hi All, not sure exactly where to post this, but here goes: I just got a quote from a reputable canvas shop in the southeast for a new dodger, and I almost fell out of my chair: $6,000!!

Does anyone have recent experience getting a Sunbrella dodger made, and would you be willing to share what you paid? And who did it? I'm looking for a place in NC or SC.

Maybe this is just what dodger cost these days, but Wow!
If one of you already sews, you should be able to copy the old one. And sometimes, there are 2nd hand fabrics available. Sunbrella doesn't retain its waterproofness very long, maybe 3-4 yrs. The Sailrite videos WILL be educational, and although picky, it is doable. PVC "marine hooding", like convertible car top material, will stay waterproof longer, and should not be super tight, as it will shrink over the first 3 yrs.

Before you start, though, is the current height of dodger something both of you can see over? If you want that option, you can set up the bow angles differently, but then, you will not be able to copy the old one, because the new shape will be different.. Do plan to cover the zipppers on the opening front panel. Having it able to roll up to allow airflow to the cockpit helps a lot. Use PTFE thread: it comes in clear, and black or white.

Something to consider is designing in a flap with a zip on the aft edge so you can add downwind clears, to both keep out rain, and make life more pleasant when you're cold. We also have half awnings that zip in, for shade under way, as we did not want the bulk and windage of a bimini.

If you make a hard dodger, it is nice if it is strong enough for at least one of you to stand on, or fall against. We put an opening hatch in ours for airflow on our previous boat. The dodger was made up from laminated door skin. One needs to treat it with epoxy, then use epoxy primer and epoxy paint. We used acrylic for the "windows". This was work we hired done, after Jim designed the hard dodger.

Ann
Old 23-03-2024, 21:38   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies. It does appear that $6K is the going price from a canvas shop that knows what they are doing. I checked several other threads, and it appears that in 2024, $6,000 is not out of line. In reading the above, I am wondering whether building a hardtop dodger makes more sense, but I'm sure if I get into that it will probably be at least double the canvas price.
Went through the same costing process with both my bimini and dodger covers replacements and after recovering from the terror of being bankrupted threw the whole mess away and rebuilt them both in aluminium.

I did not keep track of the costs but doubt that there was more than A$2,000, including the 340 or so Watts of more solar panels I mounted on the stronger structures, in materials and a few hundred dollars of welding work.
Old 24-03-2024, 04:06   #23

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I paid $2600 for mine from the Boatswains' Locker here in Jacksonville Fl. It was installed 4 months ago so the price is very current. I'm very happy with it. Like you I had the frame just needed the dodger done up. They did it from scratch as I did not have the old one. They have an excellent reputation.

I wish I had a good picture of it I could attach but I don't have one on this computer. You can go to my YouTube channel - the link is at the bottom of this post - and get views of it from various shots in my later videos, and there is a partial shot of it in the banner across the top of the channel. As always for the Moderators, I'm not pushing my channel here, just offering some help.

I know it's not near you but it might be worth it to come down this way.

Old 29-03-2024, 06:37   #24

Quote:
Hi All, not sure exactly where to post this, but here goes: I just got a quote from a reputable canvas shop in the southeast for a new dodger, and I almost fell out of my chair: $6,000!!

Does anyone have recent experience getting a Sunbrella dodger made, and would you be willing to share what you paid? And who did it? I'm looking for a place in NC or SC.

I just got a quote from a shop in New Bern, NC for new canvas for my Tartan 40. Dodger, bimini and connector: $4,500.00. It was broken down as $3,000, $1,000 and $500.00, respectively. New Bern Canvas and Sails.
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 06:41   #25

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Sewing a new dodger using your old is not the best idea as sunbrella does stretch over time. I used my old as a template and it wasn't taught once installed. And be prepared to devote quite a few hours to the project. Been doing freelance work so bit the bullet and paid about $3800 (if memory serves me) 3 yrs ago for a new one (here in CT) made by local, family owned company...Frame already in place. Sailrite is a good resource, currently using their video to sew a winter canvas cover. If you do sew it yourself, would search for a source that sell sunbrella remnants as you can find it for 1/2 what Sailrite and other outlets charge per yard. Also check out the zipper lady if you sew your own! She is a heck of a resource on all things zippers (i;m not affiliate). thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 06:57   #26

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly36 View Post
it seems to me if you have the old one and the frame it wouldnt be too difficult to source the new materials and just take all the old measurements and hardware off the old one and cut and sew a new one.... its not hard to stitch... just time consuming and im sure there is a plethora of information online... I definitely wouldnt spend 6k for a new one if you already have everything you need and just need to put in a little work.... unless you have more money than time...
You cannot use your old stretched out dodger as a true template

I’ll bet you could do anything with a Utube video. Your homemade dodger would look like crap

My wife has made 3-10 year dodgers for us using a Sailrite machine. She had good knowledge sewing her own clothes.
The intracancies and subtle darts are more than a casual person knows how to do.

It took more than a few adjustments. We used Strata glass not cheap isenglass. Tradesmen get paid for got reason .
If you want a Rube Goldberg dodger then listen to the internet know it alls behind their computers.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 06:58   #27

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Richie Reichert, professional with decades of work, at Richie’s Canvas. I had the frame. California dodger including several SS struts and fittings, fit is tight as he makes a perfect pattern first. And replaced deck snaps where needed, all in for $2,100. Really nice guy, restitched my sunbrella edge of my Genny for another $100. Worth the trip to Staten Island NY.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 07:20   #28

Quote:

Don't worry mate
Well do for $5800 😊
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 07:38   #29

Boat: H33

I have not done a dodger but have replaced my Biminis and many other canvas and vinyl projects around the boat. I have also recovered a chaise lounge chair among many other projects. If you want to get started with sewing projects I suggest you check Youtube and search for "Old School Upholstery" videos. He breaks down the process for replacing boat seats and many other projects and the techniques he uses are well explained and demonstrated. You may have to look at several videos to get many different hints but I have found his methods easy to follow. Don't forget to like him!
lehigh375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 07:45   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Mine was $1200 in 2019 using the old frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 lift.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	288240   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	288241  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags