Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 22:28   #1

Dodger replacment / building

I am just starting to weigh up the project of replacing my dodger. I am going to use the old dodger as a patern and make a new one. I will be using a sailrite SLZ-1 machine. I would realy apreciate some feed back from people who have done their own dodger or canvas work. Tips tricks hints, where to start etc. Im sure one I start I'll be ok. It's just taking the old one apart and using it as a patern that has me looking for re assurance. Have you done a dodger, tell me about it.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:58   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Sorry, Jack. Not that talented. I have a fellow making it for me. The one on the boat seems inches short in all directions, though, making me think that these suckers shrink. That may mean that your pattern may be smaller than original.

BTW, I am considering taking my old one, and making a rough cover for the rubber dingy. Might give me a year or two more time with it.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2004, 20:09   #3

Hi, I suppose since you have a sailrite machine, you know that they have videos & CDs that show step by step instruction on how to build dodgers.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2004, 20:54   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Dodger

Ask me anything you want but it may be hard with this forum. For starters your old dodger may have shrunk so write on it where you need to add a bit here and there. You can always cut it off. Before you splice it down the seams mark the center where it will join another mark about three feet away and the edge. Now you can cut the seams and lay it on the new material. Add at least 3/8 of an inch for each piece for a seam and transfer the center mark and the other marks. When you sew it together start at the center and work out to the edges. Do a test drive with the machine on a couple of pieces of scrap material the same thickness as you are gonna sew for real. Send another message when you have more questions. Your local canvas shop can probably answer questions as well. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2004, 19:42   #5

I have brought the dodger home. Its in sad shape but looks ok for a patern. Im going to take a photo survey of it as I take it apart to copy. That way Ill know in what order to put it back together. I hasnt shrunk so that helps. Ill post more as I go.

Thanks
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2004, 20:44   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Dodger

Good luck, be brave we have the technology, we can rebuild it.
I spent the weekend fixing sails. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger