Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 09:32   #1

Boat: Columbia 23
Columbia 23 - Catalina / west coast run?

I rescued a Columbia 23 and have been sailing it on lakes in Utah. What I would really like to do is trailer to L.A. and sail to Catalina and maybe up or down the west coast staying quite near shore. I don't really know but I'm just guessing it was designed to be a lake boat. I'm looking for performance and reliability expectations for coastal sailing. If you plan for weather windows can you take a lake boat down the coast?

It has a shoal keel and it has been fun to beach it when camping. I'd like to take it to the Sea of Cortez too.

Feedback, please?
Lindbergh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:37   #2

Re: Columbia 23 - Catalina / west coast run?

Well, we had a Catalina 22 for years. Docked it in the driveway, on a trailer. Took it down Baha a couple of times, down to Mazatlan once. Catalina was a common trip, leave early from San Pedro. But our pride were the trips to Santa Cruz Island. Learned how to anchor out, went to Pelican, Frys and into the Painted Cave. We were the smallest boat there, but we were there. Leave early in the morn from Ventura.

I didn't know Columbia made a shoal draft. That said, look at the weather and you can take that boat anywhere.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 22:35   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

How are your skills and do you have any ocean experience? That is a very light boat for its waterline and beam. It will be very light on its feet. It was intended for lake use. That said, I have seen even less capable boats out there. Many years ago I sailed with a friend down the coast from San Francisco in a 20 foot boat that also only had 800 lbs of ballast, but it had a 16' waterline and a 6.5' beam so its displacement to length ratio was better than the Columbia 23. I also knew a guy in Santa Barbara who used to sail his Sea Mew (engineless) out to Santa Cruz island, and that is a 14' open boat, but he was a very experienced sailor. If you choose good weather windows and have a good outboard, it can be done, but I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you are very confident in your skills with that boat. It could be an easy boat to overpower and we can get some good breezes at times out there. Does the mainsail have reef points? That design can capsize, given a combo of wind and waves, and stay inverted for a while, taking on water, making it a good candidate for foundering IMO. Would I do it myself? Yes I can see that, but I'd sail her very conservatively and be very aware of the weather. We DO get a lot of weather that is settled and calm near the coast that would be fine for that boat. It's just that closer to Catalina and the other islands there can be more wind. Crossing to Catalina is generally more predictably more gentle than the northern islands, but it still has its moments.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 00:11   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I made numerous trips from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz island in my Catalina 22 back in the early 70s. Compared to our usual sailing grounds of SF Bay it was not all that challenging... good fun for all ( all being my children ~8-10 years of age and at first my then wife). Certainly can be done in your boat with some care and planning.

Jim
Old 28-02-2022, 08:34   #5

Boat: Columbia 23

I really appreciate your comments.

I'd say my ocean skills are minimal, and that means sailing a few times in the Puget Sound and another bay. I have sailed many times over 3 decades on lakes.

I want to level up and I don't know any way to do that other than to do this.

I will pay attention to weather windows. I will also be towing a RIB as a backup.

I am planning to spend a week in the San Juan Islands this summer with the same boat. I think that will be good experience, but not open ocean.

I've seen a few people post of doing the sail to Catalina on a Catalina 22, which seems to be even lighter (550 pound ballast) on the same waterline. What do you think about that?

I have no reef points now, but I don't plan to make this trip for at least 18-30 months and so I think I will install them as part of the prep.

Again, I don't have much access to sailing with other sailors on the ocean because I'm based in Utah. I'll definitely watch the weather and be quick to cancel and ready with my RIB if we get in trouble. Thoughts?
Lindbergh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:01   #6

The advantage you have is trailering. A long coastal water trip on the W Coast may not be very pleasant in that boat. But short trips ...fine.
Sea of Cortez is great. Some big water there though.

A rollup dingy would be good. Dont tow a dingy.
You can spend a ton of time in the Pac Northwest and that will be great. Have a good working engine.

The other great place for a small boat is the Bahamas.

The Pac NW and Bahamas can be a lifetime to explore.
Crossed to the Bahamas once with a couple in their 23 ft boat. They were both like 6-2 or 6-3 tall in that little boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:13   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindbergh27 View Post
I'll definitely watch the weather and be quick to cancel and ready with my RIB if we get in trouble. Thoughts?
Why would your RIB be more safe than your sailing vessel? Stay on it unless it's sinking.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 13:47   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I highly recommend you not tow a rib. If you want to keep it inflated on the foredeck, or over the companionway(if it fits,) good, but towing a dinghy can not only slow you down but be a real pain to pull in and deal with if the wind pipes up. You might also see if you can buddy boat along with someone for a little extra security if you know of anyone or can find anyone. If you come out to Ventura or Channel Islands this summer I’d be happy to coordinate with you if we can.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, columbia, west coast