Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 13:14   #1

CL Luders 30 Rig

Just purchased a 1972 Luders 30 that is in the water and rigged. It has an aluminum mast which could be a replacement or original given the year. It appears to me that the spreaders are reverse port & starboard as they appear to be angled forward a small bit.

Anyone have pics of their spreaders???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spreaders.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	225566  
lyonsfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 13:22   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: CL Luders 30 Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsfin View Post
Just purchased a 1972 Luders 30 that is in the water and rigged. It has an aluminum mast which could be a replacement or original given the year. It appears to me that the spreaders are reverse port & starboard as they appear to be angled forward a small bit.

My buddy has CL 30 and his spreaders are not like yours, they are symmetrical. However, though they MAY have been installed on the wrong sides, my rigger sees that and calls it a purely cosmetic problem. My spreaders look a bit like that and he assured me to not worry about it. In any case as you sight up the shroud does it appear the spreader is pushing it out of alignment?
If it seems to be a problem it can be corrected without taking the mast down. Personally I'd leave them.

Have you seen your boat out of the water? I am curious if you have osmotic blisters. He had quite a few. The hull is so thick though they aren't worth losing sleep over.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 18:43   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

The side drawing of the Luders 30 on Sailboatdata https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/luders-30-cheoy-lee shows the upper shrouds going straight down the middle of the mast. Take a look at your boat from abeam of the mast and see if the spreaders are pushing the shrouds out of this alignment before you switch anything. The angle of your photo does not provide this view.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 18:59   #4

Don, I haven't hauled yet, but I did speak with the owner from 2007-early 2020. He didn't recall any blisters, but did have repairs to the fg keel last year because of groundings over the years. I know that it is common with internal lead keels to have damage to the fg allowing water intrusion. I plan to haul in early to mid November and the stick will come down so I can inspect before next season.
Old 21-10-2020, 12:27   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

What was the original?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 12:34   #6

I believe that originally they had spruce masts. Possibly changed to aluminum during the production run
Old 21-10-2020, 12:36   #7

I looked from abeam...Upper shrouds lead forward of mast and then back in. Definately not inline with the mast. My guess is that these spreaders are a bit aerodynamic and are supposed to be swept back, NOT forward.
Old 21-10-2020, 15:53   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I looked from abeam...Upper shrouds lead forward of mast and then back in. Definately not inline with the mast. My guess is that these spreaders are a bit aerodynamic and are supposed to be swept back, NOT forward.
Not necessarily. The angle of spreaders is related to which direction they will apply stress, not for aerodynamic reasons. Unless the misalignment is dramatic, it is probably ok. Got a photo? As I said, one of my spreaders pushes one of my shrouds forward a bit and my rigger, a friend I have known for over 40 years, said not to give it a second thought. And I was actually kinda surprised about that because I had assumed they must be straight. The fact that you have an aluminum mast is a good thing. It was probably added by a previous owner.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:09   #9

I'm thinking your upper shroud should be a straight line to the chainplate from mast head, regardless if the mast is raked fore or aft a bit. if the spreaders are bending that cable line they need corrected. Swept back or forward not an issue if the cable lays straight from abeam. Most spreaders have a bit of pivot in them to lay correct, but maybe those dont? Do they have a welded fixed base or something? It appears they just have a pivot pin as they should...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee