Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-05-2014, 12:13   #1

Cheeki Rafiki

It has just been announced that the upturned hull of the First 40.7 yacht Cheeki Rafiki has just been found by the USCG some 600 miles west of the Azores. The life raft was still stowed and the four crew members are nowhere to be found, presumed lost. The USCG photo showed that the keel had sheered off. The guys did not have a chance.
I don't know if Beneteau, the manufacturer, have something to answer for, but as a Beneteau owner myself, it is one of my biggest concerns, the keel bolts' attachment to the hull. I do not need a naval architect to tell me the obvious; the fact is Cheeki Rafiki's sheered. If this were General Motors they would issue a recall on all their Chevrolet First 40.7 models and follow up on similarly engineered designs.
At the very least I think we need an answer from Beneteau and what remedial steps need to be taken if any to First 40.7 keel design and others similar to it. As for my boat, I do everything I can to prevent my Beneteau stainless steel keel bolts from rusting, but it is a difficult battle. in addition I don't know what is going on 'inside', the parts I cannot see. FYI, my Dufour Gibsea 43 is a 2001 model (about as old as the Cheeki Rafiki) has cruised the Caribbean and the Med extensively. We carry full USCG (and arguably more strict European) safety equipment including an EPIRB for the boat and personal ones and the Vhf is DSC'ed. Liferaft is serviced every 3 years (current Euro regs). However it is unlikely I could survive a sheered keel.
If you share my thoughts, please respond. Enough responses and maybe Beneteau will respond. At the very least they should offer an inspection on older yachts or when significant rust is spotted by the owner.
gmthompson99 is offline   Reply With Quote