Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Bow cleat for solent stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A little suggestion, you might consider stowing that chain somewhere farther aft (as in nearer the mast) in the boat for the long legs. That seems like a lot of weight in the bow. I know I'd be doing that in mine if I had long legs to cover because my own hull is fairly sensitive to weight balance. With your hull and displacement, I suspect the same for you too.
It's a fair amount of weight up there, but I think it's okay. I definitely don't want to move it aft though, as my scuppers are already in the water when both my aft water tanks are completely full. Maybe the bilge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Maybe a Y shaped chain plate? . May partially block the access hole, but leave enough room? Or just a long T shaped plate above the access door?
Good ideas and I'll consider them. The plywood is only 6 or 8mm thick though, so I still feel like I'd have to either spread the load all the way across the bulkhead, or reinforce the top of the bulkhead.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
It's a fair amount of weight up there, but I think it's okay. I definitely don't want to move it aft though, as my scuppers are already in the water when both my aft water tanks are completely full. Maybe the bilge...

Good ideas and I'll consider them. The plywood is only 6 or 8mm thick though, so I still feel like I'd have to either spread the load all the way across the bulkhead, or reinforce the top of the bulkhead.
Wow, really? 1/4" or 5/16" thick bulkhead? In that case use option #2 and make it a big angle iron under the deck and against the bulkhead.. Maybe 2" x 2" SS angle with the Chainplate welded to it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Wow, really? 1/4" or 5/16" thick bulkhead? In that case use option #2 and make it a big angle iron under the deck and against the bulkhead.. Maybe 2" x 2" SS angle with the Chainplate welded to it.
Yeah It's not the most structural component of the boat. I'm back to being on the fence about whether I should use the bulkhead, or go further forward toward the bow, and use the bow as reinforcement (like the photo shown below).

For the bow option:

In this photo, it looks like they've used eyes threaded onto bolts on the the bow-eye and backing plate for the deck fitting. The corresponding website:

Untitled Document

Seems to suggest he had the job done under the supervision of a rigger, so presumably it's strong enough. These eyes, since they're just have a threaded hole with no option for a nut on the inside of the eye, I must presume they need to be glued in place with 5200 or something similar?

For the bulkhead option:

Apiece of SS angle, mounted on both sides, drilled and bolted through the bulkhead might be strong enough. Should it be bonded to the underside of the deck in any way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lashing7191.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	160108  
Old 04-12-2017, 10:12   #49

Boat: OEM, proportional

How much does that area flex? Bolting in something utterly rigid could have some interesting side-effects. Another consideration is, what is wrong with using hot dip galvanised and powdercoated steel instead of stainless?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:46   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How much does that area flex? Bolting in something utterly rigid could have some interesting side-effects. Another consideration is, what is wrong with using hot dip galvanised and powdercoated steel instead of stainless?
To my knowledge, it doesn't flex much at all, but then again, I don't spend a lot of time in the forepeak while under sail. But I see your point...

Doesn't need to be stainless, would rather it not be stainless actually. Just the above deck hardware.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:54   #51

Well, a good full width piece of angle iron (SS) against that bulkhead and under the deck should do it. Let's face it, bulkheads transfer a lot of the chainplate force to the under deck anyway. Although the bottom tabbing takes some stress I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:29   #52

Let's talk about the mast-side of things for a minute. I still haven't figured out how to make this a reality with the available parts.

The rigging shop carries Wichard #9150 mast tangs, which would be perfect, but they said it would be too big for my boat. I suppose it's a little big, but I also don't see the harm. Am I missing something? It also seems like the one pictured on the mast below is installed inside the mast. Is this the normal way to install? I'd probably be dong a wet-install from the outside, with rivets and adhesive.

Wichard Backstay mast tang | Rig Adjusters | Adventure Hardware

I've attached an image of an example of one rigged on a mast, as well as picture of the situation at the top of my mast. Forgive the unkempt hobo up there, I don't know what he was doing.

In terms of a back-up in place of a spare halyard for mast-climbing, I experimented with lashing a distel hitch around the mast the other day to great effect. It easily holds when loaded, and can be slid up the mast as I go. The other problem is that it would have to be re-tied above the spreaders, or I'll have to tie a second one up there, which isn't a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wichard Inner Stay Tang.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	160155   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-10-31-20h47m23s233.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	160156  

Old 09-12-2017, 18:44   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So just for fun I was thinking that a beefy plate bolted through to a matching plate and eye on the bow at the waterline, the stay would be anchored to that plate by a rod going up to the deck and the eye on the bow on the outside would be used for a snubber for the anchor or for a para-anchor if you went that route... takes some of the downward load on the bow off... just a thought... that would be one beefy Vega...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:49   #54

That's still my plan, to go the bow-eye method. The placement though will have it well above the water line, and probably just below the existing bow plate that supports the forestay. I'm not sure I'd trust it on a para anchor though. I think I'd trust my deck cleats more. That could be foolish thinking on my part, though.