Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2021, 23:10   #3151

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
In my point in life, and cruising ground, where there can be cool breezes and cold spray now and then, I like this design of pilot house, though I have no idea how well built this boat is. And I really like having a nice view from inside all the time. I'd have no concern about the vulnerability of large windows, it's easy to fashion removeable covers. They should have added photos of the engine though.
to me they are half way between a cat and a monohull. but i worry in hot climate it would be 110% in the house. i see only the front middle window opens.
paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 06:16   #3152
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Another point about small motorsailors, for obvious reasons they are very popular in Northern Europe, UK, Scandinavia and the Baltic. You see quite a few in the Pacific NorthWest, too.

Used UK-built boats often sell at lower prices in North America (luxury models may be an exception). They are unconventional for around here. There are fewer price comparisons, but I'd say a 40% discount on prices in their home waters.

(I'm not suggesting that it's worthwhile moving a boat from Florida to the UK for a profit! They'd tax the hide off you...)
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 07:07   #3153

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another point about small motorsailors
Just wondering... Why would you call this boat a motorsailor? It looks like it has a full rig (Not that you can really tell for certain from the poor picture) and it doesn't have a wheelhouse.

Quote:
Used UK-built boats often sell at lower prices in North America
That may be true about UK boats, but Bristols were built here in the USA. Massachusetts if I remember correctly.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 07:46   #3154
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Just wondering... Why would you call this boat a motorsailor? It looks like it has a full rig (Not that you can really tell for certain from the poor picture) and it doesn't have a wheelhouse.
That may be true about UK boats, but Bristols were built here in the USA. Massachusetts if I remember correctly.
That reply wasn't about the Bristol. It was about motorsailors with recent reference to the 34' UK-built one with the 50hp engine. And that Fisher that I posted a week or two ago.
Old 29-11-2021, 07:58   #3155

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post

Quote:
That reply wasn't about the Bristol. It was about motorsailors with recent reference to the 34' UK-built one with the 50hp engine. And that Fisher that I posted a week or two ago.

But still SuW...I do not think that 34 footer that parison posted is a motorsailor. Morequestions commented that it was.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 12:55   #3156
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But still SuW...I do not think that 34 footer that parison posted is a motorsailor. Morequestions commented that it was.
It's got a large engine for a smallish boat. (However, as someone said, it has smallish fuel capacity.) I don't know how well it would sail, it has a lot of windage in the cabin sides and a low mast. A deep draft and a heavyish displacement and so on.

All that being said, these hybrids if you want to call them that, are very popular in colder waters. I call them motorsailors. The Seastream is similar in some ways to a Nauticat of similar size. The Fisher I posted a few weeks ago was a bit heavier but in the same vein.

None of these would be my vessel of choice for long-distance sailing, but could make fine coastal cruisers, which is how they are sold. And, tbh, that's how most boats are used (of the ones that leave the dock at all )
Old 29-11-2021, 14:14   #3157

Quote:
There used to be a dry storage yard up river from the bridge near Palatka.

The cruise up from there to Welaka and Lake George is really interesting. It's like African Queen country! Manatees and alligators, snakes and so on.
Human-wise, it's the 1950s, which was charming as a foreigner.

We stayed a couple of months at Acosta Creek marina, many years ago.
Might be a decent place to go if a hurricane is coming. That was old florida in that area, early settlement.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 14:20   #3158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't know what it was, little info out there on that model. Sailboatdata.com had no info on the sail area. Looks like a motorsailor to me. They sometimes shorten up the sails when they add a pilot house.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:53   #3159
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
I don't know what it was, little info out there on that model. Sailboatdata.com had no info on the sail area. Looks like a motorsailor to me. They sometimes shorten up the sails when they add a pilot house.
From the YBW forum in the UK:

IMHO (and that of a great many owners of more traditional yachts who have sailed with me) the Seastream is very much at the sailing end of the motor sailing spectrum and I can confirm the performance that Slipstream details i.e. 6kts at most points of sail in 15kts. Brilliant, safe family boat that has really looked after us in bad weather.

To the OP - I have no regrets in buying this boat, not sure where you are based but more that happy to take you out for a spin if you are in the Plymouth area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have had one now for three years and absolutely love her. Took us safely to St Kilda and back last month, we were lucky enough to have four weeks on her. Two adults two kids plenty of room. We have a ketch, some say the sloop sails better to windward. We can generally get about 4kts in 10kts of wind and hull speed above 15kts. The sails are new which probably helps. Not a lightweight racer but very comfortable when it blows. Deep secure cockpit, genoa winches accessible from the helm, steering position below, encapsulated keel, sensible layout below, pilot house - plenty of light and great views, good engine access . Hull construction and rigging very substantial, 270 litre fuel tank(460nm range) 450 litre water tank.. . it's all good.

Perfect west coast boat.. Norway is on our list of destinations!
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:06   #3160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Perfect west coast boat. Norway is on our list of destinations!
Are you saying from PNW? What route would you take in that boat?
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:10   #3161
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
The whole post was a quote from another forum, I think. They may mean the west coast of Scotland. (The clue is St. Kilda.)
Old 29-11-2021, 16:41   #3162
SuW

Another Canadian boat, this time in New Brunswick on the St John River.

1975 C&C Mk II 35. $15K US ($17K CAD).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/sai...000/1596260419

This is a very well-known brand of conventional, production sailboat. They sail well.

It looks in decent shape for 46 years old! The owner seems to have updated some things, and a non-functional radar and chartplotter is not a deal breaker, especially if they are old. It may just make it easier to discard them for a new one.

Fixed ports in main cabin. Full cockpit enclosure. iirc, these cockpits are large. Quite liveable, certainly for Eastern North America.

Again, if the engine and sails are good, this should be a good buy at this price, although it's pretty late in the season to be thinking about selling a boat, much less buying one!

If this boat had a newer engine and was in a bigger population center, it would be more like $25K.
Old 29-11-2021, 20:34   #3163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
It was a quote from a UK forum, YBW. I think they meant the west coast of Europe.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 10:46   #3164

Quote:
The whole post was a quote from another forum, I think. They may mean the west coast of Scotland. (The clue is St. Kilda.)
The boat is based in the west coast of Scotland as SUW has pointed out , it's a good design for that area ,it gets cold and wet sailing there and a cabin is a bonus
Other popular builds are LM30 and moody hallbedier ,

If you miss StKilda next stop is Canada 😉
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 14:10   #3165
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
The boat is based in the west coast of Scotland as SUW has pointed out , it's a good design for that area ,it gets cold and wet sailing there and a cabin is a bonus
Other popular builds are LM30 and moody hallbedier ,

If you miss StKilda next stop is Canada 😉
Surely you'd hit an iceberg or Greenland first?

Not tempted by any boats here yet?

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price