Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2021, 10:26   #3136
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another good find! Someone has spent money on this boat at some point during its life. Worth viewing if you're in the area and looking.

Canvas and upholstery look OK. Is that silver sausage in the V-berth some kind of air conditioning? Ventilation in Florida may be an issue (mold/condensation) but a good type for the NE USA or Canada.

Small cockpit, 3 would be a crowd.

Engine recently replaced, I think, which is good.
Probably a portable A/C hose up front. The draft is about 6 foot 3 inches, I set my arbitrary limit to 5 foot and much less would be better for my area, probably a drop keel/ centerboard with 4 foot or less draft. Sometimes I think what if? what if a big wave crashed on deck would that cabin top still be there? Still it does look comfortable. Sailboatdata .com has no info listed for the sails.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 10:43   #3137
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Very nice boat. I'm fond of these - very liveable for the size. Huge cockpit. Easy to single-hand. This one looks in good shape for its age. It even has the teak step on the galley counter (which is fairly useless, but does double duty as a dockside step). A leaking port or stains around the port over the galley.

If it's the original engine, then it will probably need serious refurbishment.
Condition of sails and canvas?

If it's been sitting in that part of Florida for any length of time, your first impressions may be that it is really dirty. Humid climate, and, I think a local industrial plant. (That may be gone).

I'd paint most of the interior plywood panels in white, for example around the ports and in the V-berth. They look like they've been replaced anyway and not teak. (Bulkheads and furniture is teak ply, I think).
sailboatdata.com lists mast height as 43 ft from the water line. There is a 45 ft high bridge to get under to make it upriver from Green Cove Springs to Palatka. Might be some reasonable dock-age there since most sailboats can't make it there.

Yes agree paint panels white makes it look more pleasant and bigger inside.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 13:26   #3138
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK, Australia, Europe
Boat: Custom Catamaran
Posts: 854
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another good find! Someone has spent money on this boat at some point during its life. Worth viewing if you're in the area and looking.

Canvas and upholstery look OK. Is that silver sausage in the V-berth some kind of air conditioning? Ventilation in Florida may be an issue (mold/condensation) but a good type for the NE USA or Canada.

Small cockpit, 3 would be a crowd.

Engine recently replaced, I think, which is good.
Agreed - excellent couple plus small child / dog type of boat. Would make a good Bahamas boat for the winter, then up the east coast in the summer.

34ft is a really manageable size as well - big enough for two people to live on, and small enough bills arent extortionate!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 15:25   #3139
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 13,072
Images: 58
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
If you don't mind buying diesel here is another motor sailer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-ba6a52483c03
looks like newer diesel or rebuilt one.
1979 Seastream 34
$25,999

Listed 2 weeks ago in Palm Harbor, FL



In my point in life, and cruising ground, where there can be cool breezes and cold spray now and then, I like this design of pilot house, though I have no idea how well built this boat is. And I really like having a nice view from inside all the time. I'd have no concern about the vulnerability of large windows, it's easy to fashion removeable covers. They should have added photos of the engine though.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 16:18   #3140
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
In my point in life, and cruising ground, where there can be cool breezes and cold spray now and then, I like this design of pilot house, though I have no idea how well built this boat is. And I really like having a nice view from inside all the time. I'd have no concern about the vulnerability of large windows, it's easy to fashion removeable covers. They should have added photos of the engine though.
Engine Bay Overview – Seastream Yachts
Its said the the boat construction met Lloyds certification. So maybe its worth a look.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:26   #3141
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
Probably a portable A/C hose up front. The draft is about 6 foot 3 inches, I set my arbitrary limit to 5 foot and much less would be better for my area, probably a drop keel/ centerboard with 4 foot or less draft. Sometimes I think what if? what if a big wave crashed on deck would that cabin top still be there? Still it does look comfortable. Sailboatdata .com has no info listed for the sails.
Yeah, I agree deep draft is not especially good for the ICW/Florida.

I am not all that keen on a ketch in such a small boat either. (The mizzen mast is also sharing the cockpit, I think). Perhaps it's more for a steadying sail when motoring?

Again, if sound, it's a tool for a job, but which job?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:29   #3142
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
sailboatdata.com lists mast height as 43 ft from the water line. There is a 45 ft high bridge to get under to make it upriver from Green Cove Springs to Palatka. Might be some reasonable dock-age there since most sailboats can't make it there.

Yes agree paint panels white makes it look more pleasant and bigger inside.
There used to be a dry storage yard up river from the bridge near Palatka.

The cruise up from there to Welaka and Lake George is really interesting. It's like African Queen country! Manatees and alligators, snakes and so on.
Human-wise, it's the 1950s, which was charming as a foreigner.

We stayed a couple of months at Acosta Creek marina, many years ago.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:30   #3143
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1978 Chung Hwa MAGELLAN 36

1978 Chung Hwa MAGELLAN 36 - $9,000 (Long Beach CA)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...413718824.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:33   #3144
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Dufour 12000 CT 45' Ketch

Dufour 12000 CT 45' Ketch Sailboat - $24,900 (key west fl)

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/ke...413714326.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:35   #3145
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1970 45 Fiberglass Irwin

Sailboat - 1970 45 Fiberglass Irwin with Inboard Diesel - $10,000

<No Pics>

https://galveston.craigslist.org/boa...413632257.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:39   #3146
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
33025 BLUE WATER PIRATE SHIP

33025(zip?) BLUE WATER PIRATE SHIP - $20,000 (Hollywood FL)

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...412932227.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:48   #3147
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Cascade 42 1965

Cascade 42 1965 - $18,000 (Bainbridge WA)
Another Cascade for sale in Washington State. There must be a lot of them up there for some reason. I've never seen a keel like that on a '60s boat.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...412923260.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:51   #3148
Registered User
 
CaptWho's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 614
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
40 Bristol

40 Bristol sail boat - $19,500 (San Pedro CA)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...413440257.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 19:52   #3149
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: 1978 Chung Hwa MAGELLAN 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
1978 Chung Hwa MAGELLAN 36 - $9,000 (Long Beach CA)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...413718824.html
Pretty boat. Get rid of the teak deck and cockpit, rebed the caprail (notorious for leaks), repair all the hatches (especially the notorious butterfly hatch) and you'll have a nice boat!

Lots of external teak. I'd take it all off, refinish, then rebed it. All are potential leaks. The taff rail is pretty but tedious to refinish.

Our boat had that teak "eye brow" over the ports. It was worn out and leaking so we took it off, filled the holes and painted a dark green line to match our hull instead. Looks good. They allegedly guide water away from the ports but it didn't appear to do anything. Some people say they are aesthetic, to drop the apparent height of the cabin side.

Wood booms need careful checking, nothing wrong if they're sound.

Floor at bottom of companionway steps looks like it has water damage.

Windlass (manual?) and CQR. Should be OK. May not easily fit a Mantus/Rocna on bow roller without modification.

If the engine and sails are good, you like the boat and can handle a multi-year project this would be a good buy, I think.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 20:09   #3150
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: 40 Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
40 Bristol sail boat - $19,500 (San Pedro CA)
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...413440257.html
What is the matter with people? They give effusive descriptions and many photos of small items on Craig's list but try to sell a $20K boat with 20 words, one of which is "nice" (and 4 uninformative photos).

Sigh.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.