Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 14:47   #1

Batteries?

Went to one of Trojan betteries retailer (very busy golf cart outlet) to inquire about some Group 31 AGM or GEL batteries. I would like 4 for my boat that currently has wet cell betteries.

I was told the retailer no longer sells Trojan as they have poor performance and dont last long....... First I heard of this.

Anybody have an alternative battery suggestion if Trojans have gone off the deep end? Or is retailer bias?
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 14:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Batteries?

We still sell a lot of Trojans, mostly FLA GC2's but their AGM's are also great. Because of their cost we now sell a lot of less expensive but also excellent Crown batteries. I suspect that retailer moved to Crown to save money but Trojan still makes very high quality batteries.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 15:51   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I asked my batteries and they got so mad at this rumor they spit acid in my eye
Old 18-01-2018, 15:53   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

They are spinning their switchover.

Trojan is fine for FLA, but I have noticed more marketeer BS in their text, not a good sign.

Crown is at least as good, also U.S. Battery, with Rolls / Surrette at the top.

Deka also great, makes the flooded Duracell GCs sold at Sam's Clubb and Batteries+, at under $200 per 200+AH pair best value of all IMO.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 17:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Batteries?

Trojan are fine FLA batteries, my opinion is that Lifeline are much better AGM though.
Unsure of who makes a good Gel cell, but be very sure you can adjust your chargers to the exact charge profile for Gel or I have been told they will not last.
I keep thinking my next set will be Gel as I have heard they are finicky and must be treated well, but if they are, nothing lasts longer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 17:35   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I bought 2 group 27 AGM batteries for my 23 ft. Sea Ray trailer boat from Apex. Made in China. After 5 years still going strong.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 18:33   #7

Thanks for all the replies. A few more things to think about. My main issue ease of maintenance and worry free.
Old 18-01-2018, 19:13   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I bought 2 group 27 AGM batteries for my 23 ft. Sea Ray trailer boat from Apex. Made in China. After 5 years still going strong.
A stinkpot as opposed to cruising sailboat?

Likely a totally different use case wrt a House bank.
Old 18-01-2018, 19:23   #9

Boat: Tartan 37

Nationwide in Miami is not pushing Trojan batteries anymore, said they were having issues. He's been selling the US Battery and at a very good price. This is a very large distributer, who's trucks have Trojan written all over them.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Deka also great, makes the flooded Duracell GCs sold at Sam's Clubb and Batteries+, at under $200 per 200+AH pair best value of all IMO.
I did alot of research and bought 4 of these from batteries +. Look for a coupon code and order on line with in store pick up. Saved 10%
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 06:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. A few more things to think about. My main issue ease of maintenance and worry free.
Not sure if you are aware but with AGMs even though you do eliminate watering the batteries so less maintenance there but they have much pickier requirements for charging to keep them happy and avoid early death. Since they are so much more expensive and not at all worry free I chose to stick with plain old FLA batteries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 11:41   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chris-
The only batteries that are maintenance and worry-free are disposable ones. Really.
With all rechargeable batteries, you have to worry about undercharging and overcharging and human intelligence is needed to make sure that's happening in the intended manner. With wet cells you have to worry about electrolyte, but with sealed cells they are easier to damage and if you cook them off a bit, there's no way to top up the electrolyte.
AGM's or gels (which the makers now say are actually better) are more easily damaged, require slightly different charging, and are more expensive up front. Flat plate AGMs can run a fast 30% more than wet lead and a premium cell like LifeLine way more than that. (Lifeline's aren't just another brand, they are built to different standards for a different market.)

So you kinda pick your price point, make sure your charging system is set up to match the battery type, and then hunt them down. The chain stores like Sam's Club can be a great source, but they all contract out for batteries, and what they stock in Bangor, Maine will probably not be the same as in San Diego, mainly because a local supplier in each place can beat the hell out of the cost of shipping in lead.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 11:44   #13
cruiser

And quality FLAs are not just cheaper, but more robust, longer lifespan given equally coddled.
Old 19-01-2018, 12:18   #14
Eternal Member

FLA golf-cart batteries (6V) are still the most bang for the buck, IMHO. They are ubiquitous, rugged, and can take more abuse than other types.

Very, very few boats have the charging systems to take advantage of AGM batteries' higher charge acceptance rates. For them, AGMs are a waste of money. And, they are more sensitive to under-charging, i.e., failure to reach 100% charge frequently.

Gels are great, but much more expensive and more sensitive to charging specifications.

Several years ago I switched from Trojan T-105s to Crown GC-235, because Trojan had priced themselves out of the market and the Crowns are a U.S.-manufactured excellent industrial battery at about $100 each. They have performed wonderfully for several years now.

FWIW,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 19:45   #15

Looked at Golf -Batts (6V) I really like the idea..... BUT they wont fit, my batt box have a hight limit of 9 3/4" and there is no pracvtical way to deepen it. So I am back to Grp 31's. I cant find any wet cell batts that compare to the grp-31 AGM's amp capacity. I like to get a batt bank of 500-600 amps, the AGM's will more than cover that. I can fit 4, but maybe 3 will be enough. All my lights, nav, interior, mast top, etc is LED. Really only draw when under sail is the fridge and plotter, depth and speed...