Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31   #91
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Batteries?

Only if you have replacement power available on demand, or running out occasionally is NBD.

Solar only with medical necessities would dictate a decent buffer for poor conditions.

And only if you don't mind replacing the bank more frequently

and usually travel near places where your batts are readily available, since you'd be spending a higher proportion of bank lifetime at a higher risk of sudden unexpected failure.

For a long circumnavigation with lead, I'd design for the usual 50% DoD cycling.

All depends on circumstances, there are few rules that fit all.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:14   #92

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I guess, everything was said about GEL, AGM, Wet lead acids...

there are 2 more options for long lasting batteries - lead crystal and of course Lithium. I would take the LiFeYPO4, small, light, heavy duty, deep dischargeable, plenty of amps, quick charge, 5000+ cycles.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:53   #93

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I guess, everything was said about GEL, AGM, Wet lead acids...

there are 2 more options for long lasting batteries - lead crystal and of course Lithium. I would take the LiFeYPO4, small, light, heavy duty, deep dischargeable, plenty of amps, quick charge, 5000+ cycles.
I don't think lithium is suitable for the vast majority of cruisers. One charging or discharging mistake and they are ruined. The average cruiser needs a FOOLPROOF solution. To accomplish that with lithium is complex, not very robust, and cost prohibitive.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I don't think lithium is suitable for the vast majority of cruisers. One charging or discharging mistake and they are ruined. The average cruiser needs a FOOLPROOF solution. To accomplish that with lithium is complex, not very robust, and cost prohibitive.
My position exactly. I find the learning curve and the requirements to keep LiFEPO happy and avoid killing them more than I care to deal with for now, and this is coming from a guy with a degree in electrical engineering.

The possibility of a minor screw up toasting a few thousand dollars worth of batteries is just not something I'm ready to accept. I'm sure I could figure out how to run a LiFEPO setup but I've got too many other things on my plate. The final bit, the requirements to modify and/or upgrade the charging system for another boat buck or three.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:46   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My position exactly. I find the learning curve and the requirements to keep LiFEPO happy and avoid killing them more than I care to deal with for now, and this is coming from a guy with a degree in electrical engineering.

The possibility of a minor screw up toasting a few thousand dollars worth of batteries is just not something I'm ready to accept. I'm sure I could figure out how to run a LiFEPO setup but I've got too many other things on my plate. The final bit, the requirements to modify and/or upgrade the charging system for another boat buck or three.
Exactly. I have been using a 20 Ah lithium for four years but only charge it with solar so it's a simple setup. It's only a $150 battery so I don't mind taking the risk. I wouldn't do it with a large lithium bank that cost thousands, or even $500 for that matter.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Exactly. I have been using a 20 Ah lithium for four years but only charge it with solar so it's a simple setup. It's only a $150 battery so I don't mind taking the risk. I wouldn't do it with a large lithium bank that cost thousands, or even $500 for that matter.
I'm using 6, 6V golf cart batteries. Gives me about 650 amp hours total capacity, about 300 usable. More than enough for all my goodies and only have about $500 invested. Almost 10 years old and still working but might be about time to get new ones.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07   #97

When I get a bigger boat with a refrigerator I will use 6V golf cart batteries. Best bank for the buck IMHO. Lithium has all the best attributes a cruiser is looking for except fault tolerance. Just too unforgiving. I'm sure I will forget to turn the solar off one day and ruin my small lithium but it won't break the bank.
Old 03-02-2018, 13:14   #98
cruiser

Please don't bring so-called "lead crystal" into the picture, unless you manage to find some objective data from trusted sources that demonstrate it's not just a scam.
Old 03-02-2018, 14:29   #99

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sorry, absolute bunk.

If you were talking LFP, yes.

But within the lead family, size in AH, State of Charge and State of Health are critical for the ability to deliver high C-rate discharge current, AGM won't be of significant advantage.

Here is my logic.

They take heavy discharges, such as windlass and engine without damage while maintaining a more consistent voltage during those short periods (or longer if using a heavy inverter load). If you have electronics that are already close to that allowable 3% voltage drop due to wiring or higher draw at start up, you are only shortening those electronics lifespan further when those FLA batteries are unable to deliver that voltage, resulting in regularly occurring brown outs. Look at when the lights flicker when you use the SSB or turn on a pump. That can’t be good for anything that shares that power.

Why not have a battery that is able to deliver large draws and maintain that voltage?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:06   #100

Quote:
Please don't bring so-called "lead crystal" into the picture, unless you manage to find some objective data from trusted sources that demonstrate it's not just a scam.
... There are some people out there that have them in RV's and like them, I personally have no experience with them yet, however - they are heavily used in UPS solution for railway traffic lights and telecommunication containers, where maintenance-free operations for years is required.

They claim this batteries are performance wise similar to AGM, but deeper dis-chargeable with no damage. I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 19:34   #101

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

honesty my house bank are duracell batteries from the local sams club that have been just fine
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 20:34   #102
cruiser

Yes best value on the planet for deep cycling lead at under one USD per AH, actually a Deka product, also sold by Batteries+

Only exception might be LFP for those that get 15+ years out of them, but such high up-front costs makes that risky.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:52   #103

I am on the track for LFP, Its just the power when used with an inverter.
You need a 4 times larger lead acid battery bank to have this Amperage without a damage to the cells and voltage drops.

They also charge ways faster than any Lead Acid bank.

It is not only the weight and the long lasting of the bank / cycles...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:08   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes best value on the planet for deep cycling lead at under one USD per AH, actually a Deka product, also sold by Batteries+

Only exception might be LFP for those that get 15+ years out of them, but such high up-front costs makes that risky.
And that sums up my feelings onLiFePO pretty well. The most usable amp hours for the money unless you screw up, then you're way, way underwater on the costs.

I do like the greater usable capacity for a smaller, lighter bank but just not willing to risk the cost and deal with the care and feeding required.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:11   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I am on the track for LFP, Its just the power when used with an inverter.
You need a 4 times larger lead acid battery bank to have this Amperage without a damage to the cells and voltage drops.

They also charge ways faster than any Lead Acid bank.

It is not only the weight and the long lasting of the bank / cycles...
I agree with all of your reasons except for cell damage with high current draw. I have not seen a problem with standard FLA batteries under high current demands. I have a 2000 W inverter and pull 150 amps or more from my 6X6V FLA golf batteries. They're nine years old and not dead yet.