Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 13:31   #31

I wouldn't compare the Baba 30 with the IP 31. The Baba 35 would be a closer comparison as far as size goes. I had a Baba 30 and now have an IP 31. The Baba 30 is a great boat and very pretty to look at but it won't look pretty without a lot of maintenance . The Baba is more fun to sail for me but I would go with the IP 31 , 32, or 35 for living aboard. Still lots of teak on the IP to keep you busy but overall less maintenance than the Baba. Great customer support from IP also which is worth something too.
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 15:34   #32

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
I wouldn't compare the Baba 30 with the IP 31. The Baba 35 would be a closer comparison as far as size goes. I had a Baba 30 and now have an IP 31. The Baba 30 is a great boat and very pretty to look at but it won't look pretty without a lot of maintenance . The Baba is more fun to sail for me but I would go with the IP 31 , 32, or 35 for living aboard. Still lots of teak on the IP to keep you busy but overall less maintenance than the Baba. Great customer support from IP which is worth something too.
So the IP felt roomier than the Baba 30? We are anxious to get aboard each model and see what feels right to us. I'd love a Baba 35, but they always seem to be a bit over our wimpy budget. There are several IP's available ranging from $38k to $55k. Workable within our budget and in good enough condition that we wouldn't go broke re-fitting them. I think our ideal boat would be a Baba 35 with the teak decks already removed. Thanks for the direct comparison of the two boats. Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 15:42   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Baba 30 / 35 vs. Island Packet 31 / 32

I saw a Valiant 32 for sale in Mexico for less than 10K. Ya auta take a look Mike
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
So the IP felt roomier than the Baba 30? We are anxious to get aboard each model and see what feels right to us. I'd love a Baba 35, but they always seem to be a bit over our wimpy budget. There are several IP's available ranging from $38k to $55k. Workable within our budget and in good enough condition that we wouldn't go broke re-fitting them. I think our ideal boat would be a Baba 35 with the teak decks already removed. Thanks for the direct comparison of the two boats. Mike and Brenda
The IP 31 is much more roomier. The head is tiny on the Baba which my wife didn't care for. Check out the IP owners association website, lots of good info there. Iphomeport.com. Where are you located ?
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:12   #35

We are currently located in southern Wisconsin. As soon as our house sells we will be relocating to our condo in Orange Beach, Alabama. We are considering Bear
Point Marina as a base to begin our cruise. Our house was listed a week ago and we hope to sell by late spring of 2014. Brenda is a teacher and would finish out her contract which runs through June.

We will be in Orange Beach over Christmas and there are some boats (including an IP 31) we plan on inspecting while we are there.

Mike and Brenda
Old 03-01-2014, 13:33   #36

I had a Baba 30 from new back in the day. Very well built, comfortable and easily handled. Let the teak go silver. Only thing: rather slow, even in a good breeze. This might end up meaning more than you think.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 14:22   #37

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I suspect that IP owners are engineers, engineering minded, and practical people where intangibles, the aesthetics, are not a priority.

It's why one might opt to marry a sturdy wife if living on a farm.
I am an IP owner and not an engineer..FWIW.

One of the reasons we bought an IP was because of the way it looks. Not everyone is a fan of the gelcoat color, but people consistently stop and comment on the fact that it is a beautiful boat.

Greene, you specifically mentioned Catalinas. Our previous boat was a Catalina. We used it to day sail mostly and did some extended trips. The Catalina was a good boat but it is not even close to being in the same league as the IP. You man get more bang for your buck, but if you have the option to go with an IP you should take it over a Catalina.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 20:25   #38

Boat: Hans Christian 33

It would be wrong for me to not mention to look at the Hans Christian 33, few on yacht world for under 60k. They might take some love to get them to the quality your looking for but for under 35 feet I have yet to find a better layout in a good cruiser IMO. Look for 86' and before when looking at the HC33s, Hansa yard was the best.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:02   #39

We love the HC 33. Our concern is the main berth looks a bit short for Mike. At 6'3" he likes a traditional v-berth so he can hang over the end if necessary. The HC's main berth is enclosed and doesn't allow this option. Anyone know the actual length of the HC's main berth?

There is a nice 1980 Baba 35 "Moon" for sale in Annapolis right now for $55K. It already has the teak decks removed which is a big plus. That is a boat we can see ourselves cruising in.

Mike and Brenda
Old 04-01-2014, 06:30   #40

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I am truly 6' 4'' more on the 6' 5'' side, I fit exactly. I think its around 6' 5'' long. The rear quarter is the same. I at leat recommend looking at one before you go the Baba route because for a boat that performs similar, the layout is very friendly.
Old 01-03-2014, 18:08   #41

Baba 30 / 35 vs. Island Packet 31 / 32

Can someone who sails an IP 31 tell me what they are securing their all chain rode to? In looking at the pictures I don't see anything substantial to secure the chain. Most of the 31’s for sale show two fairleads and two cleats without a windlass. Manually hauling the anchor and rode on a thirty foot boat isn't a concern, but a lack of a strong attachment point bothers me. I would want an all chain rode, so the cleats wouldn't do me much good.

What ya got?

Mike
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52   #42

Boat: Island Packet 40

If using an all chain rode you should use a rope bridle cleated to your bow cleats.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33   #43

Yep, you use a nylon snubber and chain hook, even if you have a windlass. The snubber can go to one cleat if your bow roller keeps the line captive or you can have one that goes to both cleats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45   #44

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I am keeping an outlook for a fellow that is a little over 6' 3". He wants a blue water. Here's what I have found for him:

Baba 30 6' 4"
Rawson 30 6' 3"
Island Packet 31 6' 3"
cockpit too large, slow upwind
Mariner 31 6' 4"
Mariner 32 6' 4"
same as 31 except clipper bow
Pearson Vanguard 32 6' 4"
CSY 37 6' 6"
Endeavour 37 6' 6"
C&C 38 MK II 6' 5"
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49   #45

Thanks. The cleats just don't look all that substantial for 6-7 tons of boat. I agree that a nylon line for shock absorption is the way to go.

Mike