Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 09:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Baba 30 / 35 vs. Island Packet 31 / 32

Sorry to see you sell your compac but I understand. Look for a Valiant 32 also. Rare, but I saw a neglected one go for less than 20 k and a top of the line for 60. I used to sail IP's and I cannot get over the manners of the valiant. IMHO prettier than the IP and sails better than the Baba.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:04   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Your analogy does kinda fit! Functional, not that pleasant to the eye.... but then a Valiant 40, with that big boxy cabin trunk isnt much different!
I resent that remark, even though I agree with it. The "shoebox on a banana" look takes a little getting used to.

Me, I would take the Baba over the IP in a heartbeat for the simple fact of build quality. While IPs are great boats, the Babas are arguably among the highest build quality boats of that era. That should count for *a lot* when you're looking at older boats.

And Newt is right...a Valiant 32 is going to perform better than the Baba's full keel and be almost as comfortable in a seaway.

Here's what looks like a very well cared for example in your price range:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...s#.Um6L45HnlSU
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:12   #18

The little Baba 30 is a great offshore passage maker and is capable of excellent runs in the trades. Its fairly roomy for a 30 footer and has adequate tankage but do be careful with teak decks. Its a rare boat that hasn't leaked into the deck core with all those screw holes and resale is effected on teak decks on those older cruisers. As another poster has mentioned it was built in one of the better yards in Taiwan so the general construction was good when it was built. If your on a tight budget your wise to keep the boat on the smaller side as the upkeep is exponential as you add each foot of length plus in my experience people on smaller boats have the most fun,
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:25   #19

The Valiant 32 is not the performer the 40 is, even size for size. FYI: I wont say where I got this info, but there is a reason they are so low priced.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:30   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
IP's, IMHO, are engineers boats, they are functional and made for the task. Like my mother always said, "there nothing more fun that going to a party with a bunch of engineers."
As an engineer , I wish that was true !!!

Dave
Old 28-10-2013, 09:39   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

No experience with Babas but I own an IP. In my experience they are very well built and comfortable. Lots of storage space. Great support from the IP community and factory, which has been more of a selling point than I imaged before I bought it.

Chain plates could be a problem if they were not rebedded on a regular basis. Ask how often it was done and what they used. Silpruf is the preferred bedding sealant, and has been known to last up to 10 years before rebedding. If Silpruf was not used, make sure they maintained this bedding at least every other year.

Some people are not fans of the color but we like really like it and also like the lines of the boat. Very happy with our boat and would buy another IP without issue.

An IP 31/32 would certainly be a good choice for your cruising plans.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:53   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Looking at the numbers and layouts for the two boats the IP is built significantly lighter but makes up for it with increased room and sail area. It is more than one foot wider and it has a transom stern both of which create more storage space. SA/D is 17.2 for the IP31 vs 15 for the Baba30. This will narrow a bit when loaded but even then it will give the IP a significant advantage in light air so you will start motoring a bit later. You should find out what likely winds are for the Gulf and Caribbean for times you expect to be there. The IP has a 9" draft advantage for the Bahamas, significant but not terribly so.

If you are going to stay in the ICW and Carib with only occasional overnight sails the functional sailing arguments seem to be for the IP. If you start considering extended passages then the Baba starts to look better for various reasons.

Layout-wise the boats look comparable. Having been aboard a Baba I know handholds are always within reach moving about below, you will want to check this out on the IP with its bigger interior. Likewise you need to actually check headroom and berth sizes by getting aboard the boats. Another thing to check the actual boats for is side deck width, are the wide enough to CRAWL forward past all obstructions including shrouds. This is bit less important since you are not going offshore but in a really bad anchorage it is still a safety consideration.

I would not be happy with teak decks, maintenance issues aside the make the boat a lot warmer, especially in the tropics.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 10:47   #23

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
You might look at a PAcific Seacraft 34 (crealock)

I bought mine in your budget range, there are others for sale right now that could be bought close to your budget. It is perfect for us as a couple and for me singlehanded, and the build quality it high.

Anyway, FWIW, it is not too far from the other two you listed, I would think there are many more that would fit your requirements.

The Catalinas have lots of space, good coastal cruisers, lots on market, and sail well. No big passages you say, so that really opens up possibilities.
I love the Pacific Seacraft 34, but we rarely see one listed in our price range. Those PS boats sure hold their value. The Catalina line does offer a lot of bang for your buck, but they just don't tug at our hearts.

To clarify what we meant about wanting a shoal draft - we prefer a draft of 5' or less. Shoal draft is such a relative term that I shouldn't have even used it.

Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:11   #24

I assume you've actually looked at some of your boats in the flesh.... Big difference in the "feel' of some boats... some are like caves; dark and little light... and some are open and lighter....
for your stated purpose; "No big ocean passages planned, so that helps determine what kind of sailboat we need."
I would look at a lot of boats and pick the most comfortable one... anything from a Beneteau to Westsail will work.
You really dont need a Baba, Pacific Seacraft etc for your goal.
There'a alot to be said for swim steps, walk through transoms, sailing performance, minimal outside teak, well designed cockpits, light down below etc... for what you are doing. I've done both in the Caribe, a slave to a Hans Christian loaded with teak that bounced around and went nowhere going to weather..... to a catamaran that I could take my morning swim right off the swim step. I'll definitely take the latter....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:29   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The Valiant 32 is not the performer the 40 is, even size for size. FYI: I wont say where I got this info, but there is a reason they are so low priced.
FWIW:

Many years ago I was at a presentation by Bob Perry. In the Q&A period afterward, he was asked if there were any of his designs that, in retrospect, he didn't like? His answer was the Valiant 32. IIRC his reasons were centered around the folks at Valiant wanting too much crammed into too little LWL, and that the whole design was a failure as a result. I was very impressed by his candor at the time, and have continued to respect his thinking in the ensuing years.

And as to the colour of the IP hulls... anyone who enjoys that hue likely also enjoyed changing diapers on their babies!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-10-2013, 12:33   #26

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Those of us with IP's actually enjoy the hue...but then again we are probably different from others in our tastes. That is OK by me. IP Owners have tremendous support from both the factory and each other. IP owners often upgrade to bigger IP's as they can afford them, and that does speak for the brand.
We have only owned ours for just over a year but have met many other IP owners and I truly have been awed by their generosity and kindness as well as willingness to befriend each other.
The IP's hold their resale value really well, many of them still sell for close to what they sold for when originally sold at the factory. Most IP owners also seem to take pride and exceptional care for their boats. I haven't seen any IP negected or project boats unless they had major hurricane damage.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:43   #27

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I suspect that IP owners are engineers, engineering minded, and practical people where intangibles, the aesthetics, are not a priority.

It's why one might opt to marry a sturdy wife if living on a farm.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 13:09   #28

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Alright...I am in fact an engineer and so is the husband. We are business owners now but I do think IP's appeal to engineers because they are very well engineered! Although we bought the boat from two people who were in the Financial Industry.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 13:13   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
I assume you've actually looked at some of your boats in the flesh.... Big difference in the "feel' of some boats... some are like caves; dark and little light... and some are open and lighter....
for your stated purpose; "No big ocean passages planned, so that helps determine what kind of sailboat we need."
I would look at a lot of boats and pick the most comfortable one... anything from a Beneteau to Westsail will work.
You really dont need a Baba, Pacific Seacraft etc for your goal.
There'a alot to be said for swim steps, walk through transoms, sailing performance, minimal outside teak, well designed cockpits, light down below etc... for what you are doing. I've done both in the Caribe, a slave to a Hans Christian loaded with teak that bounced around and went nowhere going to weather..... to a catamaran that I could take my morning swim right off the swim step. I'll definitely take the latter....
I think this is the jewel in this thread. Buy the boat that you will need, not the one everyone else wants. I have seen some great bendies for cheap because of their rep as a party boat. Swim steps are nice, as well as roller furling everything. Just stay out of bad weather (which is good advice anyway)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 13:32   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Ecru gelco on IP is in fact a very good thing in the tropical sun - less flare as compared to off-white gelco as seen on most modern boats.

As far as I can remember, Babas too have nice gelco colour. Their problem is the immense overuse of wood. Beauty in some eyes, but a pain in the lower back to keep in Bristol cond.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote