Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Baba 30 / 35 vs. Island Packet 31 / 32

Since your looking at Baba's why not have a look at the vessel that influenced the designer: WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45   #47

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

Hey guys. My wife and I have been looking at cruising boats for the last two years. I've read that is about the average length of time to find the sailboat of your dreams. Like you Mike I am 6'3" and had to take that into consideration when looking at boats, as well as our limited budget. We found ourselves being drawn to Taiwanese boats of the late 70's and early 80's. The excellent craftsmanship, and the prodigious use of solid teak instead of laminate in these boats was a real plus. During our two year boat search we stopped in Annapolis and took a look at Moon. Aside from a small section on the ceiling in the head, this boat shows every bit as well in person as on yachtworld. She is also $10,000 cheaper now than when we looked at her.The broker, Richard Kahn, is very knowledgeable about these boats, as he has his own Baba 35 which he took us on, so we could get a perspective of a slightly different boat. (His was not for sale) We passed on this boat because, I thought the salon and the cockpit would be too small for as time passes. He also had, and still has a Tayana Vancouver 42 that is in your budget. The outside needs some work, but the interior was not only beautiful, but very spacious. She had an offset Pullman berth which was very easy to get in and out of. At my height I won't consider a v-berthIn our opinion though, the boat didn't have enough opening ports for ventilation in the tropics. If you do go to Annapolis there is a 35' Young Sun you may want to look at. This boat is also in your budget and, has a little more interior space, larger cockpit, and much more room in the engine compartment. As far as the Pullman berth in a Hans Christian, my wife and I looked at two. One in Annapolis and one in Maine. Both 38' boats. There was room for me to lie down and plenty more to spare. If you have the opportunity, take a look. The Pullman berth along with the tiled head in the forepeak is a winner in our opinion. Since you have a condo down south, there is a 42' Cheoy Lee Clipper Ketch in North Carolina you may want to look at. The owner is "very motivated" and I know for a fact the boat can be purchased in your budgeted amount. While we are on the subject of your budget, Capt. Ed Jirsa of Larsen Marine once told me "Boats between $50,000 and $100,000 will most likely need a friend" One last word on your budget. Don't look to far afield to find your boat. We were interested in a Bristol 40 in Washington state until we found it would cost north of $10,000 to have her trucked to NE Ohio where we live. All that being said, what did my wife finally decide on? A Shannon 38 Ketch of course. Now if mother nature would only give us a break, so our surveyor can get on and give us the thumbs up!!! Good luck with your search and, let us know if we can be of any more help to you.
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 13:46   #48

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

Large Luke,

Congratulations on the Shannon. They are beautiful boats, so we hope the survey goes well for you. We are just waiting for our house to sell so we can get serious about purchasing our cruising boat. We may run over to Michigan next weekend to take a look at a nice example do the IP 31. The longer boats would be affordable up front, but with a meager cruising kitty every foot of length just costs too much in ongoing fees, maintenance, dockage, etc... We'll be sticking within the 30 to 34 foot range.

Our son is a Buckeye and is currently working in Columbus, Ohio. He seems to think Ohio has had almost as bad a winter as Wisconsin. Come on spring!

Regarding the Pullman berth - it looks great, but every time the outer person wants to get out they have to climb right over the inner person. Sounds like a pain.

We understand that any boat we buy in our price range will need a bit of love and support. I am a mechanical guy who loves to tinker, so this really is ok with me.

Thanks for the feedback, hope to run into you out there soon.

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14   #49

Well one year later after our house finally sold we went on a serious boat search. There was a very nice Baba 30 and two Island Packet 31’s available in our price range scattered around Florida. We flew down and checked several boats out. Looked at a really nice Beneteau 321, but it just wasn't grabbing us. We were really excited to get a close look at a Baba 30 and spent a bit of time crawling around this nice '78. Loved the salty look, seaworthy equipment and hull, warm cozy interior and solid feel of the boat. I am 6'3" and 250 lbs, so interior size was a concern going in. Headroom is good. V-berth was a great fit. Nobody but a true bluewater sailor would like that coffin like sea-berth aft. Nav station was impossible for me to sit at and work. Head was tiny.

We looked at a worn down Island Packet in Pensacola that showed way worse than the pictures and description portrayed. Still, if a person got it at a bargain price it could be brought back to life. Finally we looked at another IP31 in Palmetto that we felt was out of our price range, but the broker indicated the buyer was quite motivated. We fell in love immediately with this well maintained, nicely equipped sailboat. Genny and staysail on newer furlers, good sails, recently re-powered, oversized ground tackle, davits, very clean cabin and many cruising supplies already aboard. After some frustrating negotiations we struck a very good deal on her. We will remove a diesel stove (even though it is a pretty nice unit) and replace the Walker Bay dinghy with a RIB. Otherwise she is ready to go.

So, in the end our vote was definitely the IP over the Baba.

Wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04   #50

Boat: CS36T

Congrats! Post some pics
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29   #51

Congrats, I like the Baba's but there is a lot squeezed in there and of course all the teak is not a plus either.... especially if it had teak decks Sounds like you did good!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 15:59   #52

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

We talk about the IPs as boats for engineers. Well built, practical, reliable, made for purpose.

However, no one ever has come down to the dock to tell an IP owner what a beautiful boat they have. They are like marrying a plain girl with a strong back.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:42   #53

I guess you don't like my taste in women.

Mike

Old 06-04-2015, 06:52   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
I guess you don't like my taste in women.

Mike

Your speculation is somewhat unfair in that I carefully made no judgment call in my comment about women and wives. I was simply observing one trade-off among all the trade-offs that are made in all aspects of the act of living.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05   #55

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
However, no one ever has come down to the dock to tell an IP owner what a beautiful boat they have. They are like marrying a plain girl with a strong back.

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. I think Island Packets are beautiful.

I have no opinion of your wife.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:15   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. I think Island Packets are beautiful.

S/V B'Shert
Love that IP gelcoat color!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:36   #57

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

I have no opinion of your wife.
Hehe.

But I agree with his other sentiment, that Island Packets have some kind of aesthetic. I can't describe it well, but every person I've met cruising on one just loves their boat and is super conscientious about maintenance. They keep their boats so neat and orderly, with shiney stainless and sunbrella covers on the fuel cans and windlass. There's an energy to it, of dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's. I think it's great.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

IP's have a sort of a cult following, and they are a "practical" boat with all that goes along with that.
I looked at a lot of boats before I bought our IP, including one beautiful Baba, but in most boats I looked at I kept finding "stuff" that didn't make sense, and a lot of wasted space where things weren't in the original plan, but put in later as an afterthought. I didn't find that in our IP.
Engineer's boat, I guess I'd agree with that, even though I'm no Engineer, I'm more mechanic, but they are a Mechanics boat too. Most everything is placed logically, with an access to it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
We talk about the IPs as boats for engineers. Well built, practical, reliable, made for purpose.

It is a good description.... I've often thought about the look of the IP (and some others) vs their functionality. This statement fits well to me. Beautiful yachts are for dock walkers, function is for "being there".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:18   #60

LakeSuperior - my comment or reply was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. My humor can be a little off sometimes.

Mike and plain old Brenda