Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 10:17   #46

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: Ammonia smell in cabin

Refrigerators, especially in travel trailers and older boats, are often duel fuel, one being propane. If the fridge is dual fuel, the coolant is usually contains ammonia - and the cat litter smell is the first sign of a refrigerant leak.

My old Gemini came with such a fridge - replaced it with 12 volt and a solar cell.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 10:48   #47

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Refrigerators, especially in travel trailers and older boats, are often duel fuel, one being propane. If the fridge is dual fuel, the coolant is usually contains ammonia - and the cat litter smell is the first sign of a refrigerant leak.

My old Gemini came with such a fridge - replaced it with 12 volt and a solar cell.

I with CaptStu on this one. If it is a strong ammonia smell it is most likely the fridge if there is no cat. I've had this happen and it started slowly then got really bad. Was leaking ammonia in the refrigerator system. it will go away as soon as you get rid of the fridge.
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 10:49   #48

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One of my friends bought a used Catalina 36. It stank of urine and sewage. She is not a DIY person, and paid three different groups to eliminate the smell. Six months later it still stank. Problem seemed to be in the blackwater hoses/vents/holding tank.

She is now happy to say the problem was finally fixed, a year and several thousand dollars later.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 13:46   #49

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

If the PO had a male cat, and if that cat had the habit of "spraying" everywhere, I strongly suggest not buying the boat. In my experience, it is not possible to get rid of that smell. Don't ask how I know.

And the fact that both the broker and the PO say they can't smell it is BS of the first order. It is a most distinctive smell, and a most unpleasant one.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 14:02   #50

Boat: Downeaster 38

Agreed that there is no way they can’t smell this…

I’m really struggling to find a sub $50k boat that is anywhere near respectable. This is one of the only ones we’ve seen within a few hundred miles.

Most $40k boat ads… “beautiful boat looking for next loving owner. This one is truly turn key!!!”

When you go view the boat it’s missing the engine and has a 2’x3’ hole in the side 😢
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 17:07   #51

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Agreed that there is no way they can’t smell this…

I’m really struggling to find a sub $50k boat that is anywhere near respectable. This is one of the only ones we’ve seen within a few hundred miles.

Most $40k boat ads… “beautiful boat looking for next loving owner. This one is truly turn key!!!”

When you go view the boat it’s missing the engine and has a 2’x3’ hole in the side 😢
So imagine trying to sell a boat that has an offensive oder...They are easy to buy and tough to sell.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 17:20   #52

The smell will be dealt with if I buy it. There will be a way lol

Exactly why I don’t want to pay a lot for any 1980s boat. No matter how nice. I’m going to be selling a 50 yo boat for basically nothing after spending $75k owning it.
Old 19-02-2024, 19:19   #53

Quote:
The smell will be dealt with if I buy it. There will be a way lol

Exactly why I don’t want to pay a lot for any 1980s boat. No matter how nice. I’m going to be selling a 50 yo boat for basically nothing after spending $75k owning it.
Well your not going to find to many financial advisors pushing the "boat investment" route......
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 19:30   #54

I’m not gonna lie though… boats are a whole lotta fun
Old 20-02-2024, 01:31   #55

Boat: Lagoon 380

I dont see why cats would smell any worse than monos...?
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 09:56   #56

Quote:
I’m not gonna lie though… boats are a whole lotta fun
Agree
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 10:44   #57

Quote:
We looked at a boat that was really well kept. Cabin smelled very strongly like a cat litter box.

Any idea what would cause this kind of smell in a cabin?
Having read through the whole thread and seen various opinions as to the cause, I will volunteer that my vote would be with the holding tank.
My brother had a motor cruiser whose holding tank was mounted within the head. The ammonia smell in that room was almost unbearable, as it seemed to be vented into the room as well as being vented to the exterior. My brother and his family just did not seem to notice it.
For what it's worth, why not find out where the exterior vent for the holding tank is located, and have a sniff around there to see if you detect a similar odour. My boat does not have a holding tank, but I have bee on other boats the location of whose tank vents was blatantly obvious.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 14:07   #58

Another thing that will do that is fresh Silicone sealer. It it has recently been applied, it can have a strong pungent smell like this. Sour smelling. Once bone dry there is no smell.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 15:29   #59

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

I think if it is a very clean boat, and the fact the cushions were partly replaced is the giveaway. The owner had this cat odour issue and did all he could with his 'get the boat ready for sale budget' and reduced it somewhat but could not afford to replace all the fabric and foam.

Check all the fabrics and their foam, replace the rest which are not new and hope that resolves it! Geriatric cats can have incontinence so that is the most likely cause!
Rjstutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 15:32   #60

100%

The life line nets. The “most foam” replaced.

What he really means is “I think I replaced the cushions my cat peed all over”

Tags
cabin