Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2024, 18:49   #16

Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Ammonia smell in cabin

There’s definitely a pet net on the life lines in some photos too. I’m really starting to go with cat 🐈
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 20:31   #17

Boat: Cascade 42

we just bought a C30 with strong odor from the head. while changing the waste lines there was definitely a strong ammonia smell coming out of the hoses.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 06:23   #18

How big of a job was hose replacement? Are they easy to access on a C34?
Old 15-02-2024, 08:00   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Fresh water boat. They just replied there is no smell.

Maybe it’s a fluke winter storage occurrence. We did open a boat that I think had been shut for quite a while. Very clean inside.

I’m going to assume holding tank though… how hard is hose replacement if that’s the case?
You may not need to replace, if they are the culprits, which I think is the case, remove and hit them on a hard surface to brake and remove the scale built up.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 08:17   #20

Boat: Cascade 42

To change them out on the C30 was a two person job to get the pump out to y valve hose routed under the galley and into the port cockpit locker. I don't know what the layout is on the C34, if you access the lines its not hard, but the lines have human waste in them, so its not pleasant. For the effort to removing them I would replace with new Raritan hoses vs cleaning them and reinstalling.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 08:25   #21

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I agree with pdx_sailing, that's the reason for the "may" in my sentence, it depends on the hose and your pocketbook conditions... but keep in mind, you may have to do this again.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 20:06   #22

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

If you don't own the boat and it smells bad, be aware that it could be a long goose chase to solve. Make it the owners problem.

Head hoses, trapped fluids in bilges, poorly vented black water tanks, mold, etc. To properly clean a dirty bilge takes time and effort. If its the cushions and they've been soiled by the pets, prepare to spend big dollars to get new foam and covers.

Changing head hoses isn't cheap, price out the good raritan black water hose by the foot and see for yourself. Its an unpleasant job that can take a day or two if you are a newbie to boat maintenance. If you pay somebody else, be sure they are a good honest worker, and be prepared to pay north of 100/hour for their time.

I'd tell the owner the exact reason you aren't putting in an offer. Give them time to rectify it, and come back once they say it is solved. Make sure that the day you come back the boat hasn't been opened up for several hours before.

If you smell this issue, other buyers will as well. Make the seller solve it before even considering placing an offer.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 22:23   #23

No, it has a metallic/smell taste (in the air) from the sulphuric acid vaporizing. The battery doesn’t explode, the hydrogen it produces and traps in the partially empty case ( because the acid level is low) does with an ignition source.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 03:42   #24

Owner agent just says “I never noticed it”. It was obvious smell so they don’t want to talk about it apparently…

The boat is super clean which made it so surprising to us that it had this bad smell.

All new cushions though out are $7k, but I’m kinda with you… since the owner side isn’t forthcoming I’m forced to assume it has waste plumbing issues, cat pee, needs new cushions, and the sole is rotting.

If I knew a cause I’d determine a remediation and put an offer in 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 16-02-2024, 05:04   #25

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Ammonia type odor is very common from aging waste tank hoses. Particularly if replaced with the incorrect vinyl type hoses. Battery odor is a different smell. It can be strong enough to make your eyes burn and can be potentially explosive, if in doubt, vent the boat as much as possible before going below. The Sulphur smell from batteries isn't very strong compared to something like a gas leak, but its definitely there.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 05:53   #26

This definitely wasn’t sulfur smelling. It smelled just like a litter box.
Old 16-02-2024, 17:27   #27

Im back to thinking this guy definitely had a cat lol, but I think the hose thing I’m willing to live with repairing if needed. maybe get something back complaining about it on survey if it is noted.

I guess the real question is how am I going to convince this guy to take most of the $7k cushion replacement off the price when he doesn’t think the cushions are bad.

Honestly I don’t really want any 1987 cushions. That’s a lot of different peoples stuff I don’t want to sit on. Like I wouldn’t buy a house a keep the previous owner mattress.

without the smell this boat is perfect for us.
Old 17-02-2024, 10:20   #28

My premeditated hoses didn’t smell anything like ammonia. You can get special flashlight and spray that will show urine.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 11:58   #29

Ya I am really sold on cat again after throughly thinking about this. We’ve owned cats. It smelled like cat pee.

The pics show a net on the lifelines. Theres a little blurb about “most” of the cushions having new foam.

This dude’s cat sprayed all over his boat and he thinks no one will know.
Old 17-02-2024, 12:56   #30
Marine Service Provider

The seller may have had a cat or dog that wasn't litter trained or they didn't didn't maintain the litter box. Or maybe some other critter(s) had set up housekeeping somewhere in the boat. If you're seriously interested in the boat, you'll find it useful to know that odors are strongest at their source...if you poke around a bit you'll find it..and don't be afraid to open lockers and hatches to sniff. Eliminating any odor IS possible, so it doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but it's definitely a major bargaining chip.

edit: I may be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that an outgassing battery can smell like ammonia.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin