Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2017, 10:07   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Am I doing this right? Whisker/spinnaker pole question.

I'll be doing a lot of downwind sailing soon -- at least in theory. Thousands and thousands of miles of it.

I've never used my whisker/spinnaker pole because I haven't had a topping lift rigged and my spinnaker halyard is forward of my forestay. I recently rigged one though, and am now trying to figure out if I'm using my pole right. What had me confused for a while was the manner in which it attaches to the mast. Is this what it's supposed to look like? I guess the pole, once rigged, is always under compression, but if it there's a force outward at all, it'll fall right off the ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171123_165509.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	159695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171123_165535.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	159696  

Ryban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 10:24   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Am I doing this right? Whisker/spinnaker pole question.

well, I am probably the king of half-baked and jury-rigged ideas, but that looks unusual even by my standards.
The thing about a whisker pole or spinnaker pole is that, as you say, there is compression force. And as Murphy says, anything that can pop out, will pop out, at the worst possible time. And when it does it will be inclined to be propelled like an arrow from a bow and chances are, someone will be in the way of it. While I am usually pretty forgiving of odd ideas, 'cause I'm always curious to see what will happen, that one ain't so good IMO. Get the right fitting for it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 10:35   #3

But that's the thing, I don't know what the right fitting is. I've seen poles that have jaws on both sides, but obviously that's now how my pole is designed. I'd be inclined to add a lashing to keep it from popping out, but then that would make taking it off the mast a pain.
Old 25-11-2017, 10:47   #4

I don't like it at first glance. I like to be able to furl the sail with the pole attached which means that the clew will be changing height and the pole will not necessarily always be under compression depending on the point of sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 10:57   #5

This is the best image I can do in a flash but really in your case I'd recommend springing for a good telescoping whisker pole since you'll likely be using it often. It's one purchase you won't regret.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-11-25 at 10.53.04 AM.png
Views:	242
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	159697  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-11-2017, 10:57   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

What's on the other end of the pole?
Is the pole backward (end for end)?
The hook looks bent.
Whisker poles don't usually need a topping lift.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:32   #7

The other end looks standard, similar to this:
http://www.forespar.com/media/images...-sail-boat.jpg

except that it also has a closed loop on the opposite side to the jaws, presumably to tie a topping lift, foreguy, and afterguy.

Yeah it looks bent, but I also have no point of reference to know what it should look like. My google searches haven't been too helpful thus far.
Old 25-11-2017, 11:47   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I think your mast-end "hook" is supposed to go the other way, inverted, at least as far as it's designed. I've not seen one like that before. At the very least it would keep it from dropping out and would have to lift out.

Downwind, the force on the pole is going to cycle all over the place. The sail will fill and pull it, then slack and relax. Wave action will add to the action, bouncing the pole up and down.

A topping lift and a downhaul is ideal, connected to the middle of the length of the pole to "lock" the pole in place, largely vertically, but it's not mandatory. Just makes tending it a little more "set and forget"...until you re-trim the jib at which point you need to adjust the controls to suit.

You can buy a jaw fitting for the end(s), just measure your pole diameter. Some second-hand chandleries, like Bacon Marine in Annapolis, may well have a pair that will fit.

One tip for downwind trade wind sailing. Get a pole whose length is equal to the distance between the mast fixture and the clew of the sail when the sail is fully furled. That way during a squall you can simply furl the jib all the way in without even detaching the pole, then let it out again when the wind settles. Easy peasy.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 12:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
What's on the other end of the pole?
Is the pole backward (end for end)?
The hook looks bent.
Whisker poles don't usually need a topping lift.
For offshore sailing whisker poles should most certainly have a topping lift, a foreguy and an after guy. The reason is that if you are set upon by a squall you can ease the sheet, roll up the jib, and the pole just stays there. Perfectly safe until the weather passes and you set sail again, or take down the pole at your leisure.

I am really not at all sure how you set a whisker pole on a boat over 25 feet without a lift to hold it up! And in light winds a pole without a lift will collapse the sail as it sags down.

Overall... bad advice, IMO.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:13   #10

I did many thousands of miles downwind in a similar size boat without using a topping lift or fore or aft guys. Not any problem in that size boat. Different set of issues as you go bigger. Running downwind , wing and wing in the trades is a real joy. I tried twin jibs for a bit and rolled my guts out and went back to wing and wing. If your pole is not the mast to rolled up clew length, then roll the jib up and tighten the sheet and all will be fine for a squall. Get rid of that pole end before it kills someone or ruins a sail. Just another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:28   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

As soon as you ease the sheet it looks like that fitting is going to either break, dent the ring channel, or break off the ring.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:53   #12

I broke my whisker pole a while back so I'm asking Santa for a new one. Right now I am looking at this one:
Forespar Heavy Duty Twistlock Telescoping Whisker Pole

It might be the right size for you too, bit on the long side but if the 7' is not too much for the min. I'd get it. The next size down at 6' - 12' may be right, not sure.

You should check what you need for min and max. Your photo looks like its 6'.

westmarine has the same one now for 420

I don't have guys and topping lift on my current boat, and I have no problem using the whisker pole. Personally I don't feel an extreme need to run guys and topping lift for it. But if you are already rigged for a spinnaker pole, then, yeah those controls are handy.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-11-2017, 18:21   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I broke my whisker pole a while back so I'm asking Santa for a new one. Right now I am looking at this one:
Forespar Heavy Duty Twistlock Telescoping Whisker Pole

It might be the right size for you too, bit on the long side but if the 7' is not too much for the min. I'd get it. The next size down at 6' - 12' may be right, not sure.

You should check what you need for min and max. Your photo looks like its 6'.

westmarine has the same one now for 420

I don't have guys and topping lift on my current boat, and I have no problem using the whisker pole. Personally I don't feel an extreme need to run guys and topping lift for it. But if you are already rigged for a spinnaker pole, then, yeah those controls are handy.
I have a Forespar pole also but it is one of their line control poles. They are a bit pricey but so simple to use
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 18:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I have a Forespar pole also but it is one of their line control poles. They are a bit pricey but so simple to use
We have two, brilliant pieces of gear

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 18:50   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny thing is not too long ago there was a thread where a great many, especially the experienced came out and said that telescoping poles were junk. OK for day sailing, but won’t last for real passage making.
I too have a line control pole and that got me wondering
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker