Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2023, 08:00   #1

Allied Seawind II or Ericson 35-1?

Good Morning!
I'm considering a number of classic plastic boats for single-handed coastal cruising and perhaps voyages further offshore. Among the candidates are two boats currently available near me and in comparable condition. Without getting into pros-and-cons of traditional design or older boats in general, or assessment of the boats' specs and lines drawings, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the Allied Seawind II (ketch) vs. Ericson Alberg/King 35-1, based on first-hand experience. Sailing characteristics, motion at sea (hobby-horsing, in particular), "livability" (whatever that means to you), ease of handling while motoring, etc. I understand the rigs are different; if you have thoughts on ketch vs. sloop on these vintage boats, I'd be grateful for those, also.
This is my first post and I'm excited to join this Forum! Thanks in advance -
Mark
ThanksLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 10:39   #2

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Allied Seawind II or Ericson 35-1?

Welcome to the forum, where a lot of nice helpful sailors and a few old cranks hang out.
Firstly, having owned and sailed an Alberg design for ten years I find them very seaworthy. A friend and several others as well have sailed Alberg 30’s around the world. They have generally never been accused of being roomy, but that means less rattle around room in a seaway. The Ericson 35 is very similar to an Alberg-designed Pearson 35 ( not the Bill Shaw design) which may be more available. Of the two you mention I would opt for the Ericson as being slightly more roomy, but if you’re planning to singlehand, just remember that more size means more challenge for the solo sailor, assuming that electric winches, bow thruster, etc. are absent.
Having sailed a yawl now for 27 years, I wouldn’t trade it for any other rig. But we don’t always set the mizzen. I have sailed on ketches, and find the ketch’s mizzen annoying to constantly look around while at the helm. But like many other things, I am sure one can eventually adjust to it.
Old 16-05-2023, 23:16   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any firsthand experience with them but they both have good reps among the older farts. I'd probably lean to the Ericson as I prefer sloops. You may find some useful info in this social group:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...+classics.html

Good luck and tell us which one you choose!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 04:10   #4

Thanks...yes, the mizzen mast in the cockpit is new to me and certainly will take some getting used to!
ThanksLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 17:44   #5

Boat: Grand Banks classic 36

I had always lusted after an Allied Seawind ketch. Had a Cal 2-27 that I lived aboard for a few years before jumping on as crew on an 81' Trumpy. Still think fondly of the Allied. They were a stout boat.
Old Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 18:48   #6

Boat: Westsail 32

I also have no first-hand experience with either boat, but have always been partial to the Allied Seawind II, and would probably go with that boat if I was choosing.

I like ketches, and they do provide you with smaller sails overall that are easier to manage, and provide more options for a sail plan, but on smaller boats like this one it's probably a little bit slower than if it were a sloop. It will probably also be awkward around the cockpit -- remember you also have the stays for the mizzen mast to contend with.

Still, I'd vote for the seawind.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, ericson, Seawind, wind