Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 11:13   #1
njb

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Seeking Advice on Allied Seawind Sloop

Hello All,

My first time posting after hunting around for several months in search of my first boat. After doing some research I've gotten pretty excited about an Allied Seawind. The mark 1, 30 ft. version, to be clear. I've looked at several and really like one, although it is a sloop rig, not the more typical ketch. Does anyone out there have experience sailing one of these? I was really excited about the ketch to begin with, but haven't found one that's in great shape. What are some things to look out for with these boats in general? I've seen two boats with leaks at the handrail/cabin top. Is this typical? Difficult to fix? Any thoughts about old westerbeke diesels? Should a 40 yr old engine scare me away? I've heard they're pretty solid. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 10:17   #2

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi
Re: Seeking Advice on Allied Seawind Sloop

NJB:

From what I've gathered through researching my boat, an Aries-32, there are too many similarities to ignore. The boat should handle well. I will mention that deferred maintenance issues on a boat this old can be burdensome.

The Allied Seawind 30 was designed by Thomas Gilmer, and was a production boat for more than a few years. Please review the Thomas Gilmer thread in the monohull discussion group, and you will find much more information about the AS-30, and Thos. Gilmer. Simply google Thomas Gilmer, and the boat. It has a solid history.

Is the boat you're looking at one of the FRP models, or one of the production boats built in wood?

I just went through re-building my (now) 33 year-old Westerbeke W-30, and look forward to many more years of service from it, though finding parts will eventually become problematic.

Look through the Aries' group photos on both flickr and picasa, and you will see that the Seawind is much more than just a kissing cousin to the Aries 32/Roughwater 33/Westerly 32 & Southern Cross 31.

Good Luck!

Chuck
The Chester P
Aries 32 Hull #23
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 10:42   #3

Boat: Allied Sea Wind II, 32' Cutter

My boat is a 1979 SeaWind II Cutter. Structurally, there isn't a finer boat made. Because of the vintage, she had large bottom blisters and i had the bottom planed and completely redone 10 yrs ago - no problems since.
Make sure the chainplates and fastenings are good to go.
Since then i have sailed her in good to terrible weather coastally and off-shore. She's a sound vessel, very forgiving and a good home.
My humble opinion is that 30' is a bit too short for the second mast of a ketch and that is the reason i opted for a cutter, to balance out the COE when reefed in a blow. All this may be moot in comparison to the original SW.
ken39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 10:54   #4

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

That was the first FRP boat to circumnavigate IIRC, and that gave it a lot of RESPECT and credibilty. I wouldn't mind a sloop rig on a 30-footer instead of a ketch. Having sailed a 32' ketch myself for years and some 15000 miles at sea
the ketch rig is GREAT at sea in terms of handling. That said, the cost and complexity is arguably not justified on a boat <40'LOD. That's my personal opinion, but if the boat I find, and fall in love with is ketch or cutter or sloop wouldn't be the determining factor.

I have never sailed an Allied seawind, but I am the happy owner of a Southern Cross 35 cutter-another and later Tom Gillmer design- and the course stabilty, comfort at sea AND (which really surprised me) the light air performance is simply awesome. If the A.seawind is anywhere near it, it should be a great crusiing boat.

aren't there any Allied seawind-owners on this forum who can chime in?

fair winds...
Old 28-05-2011, 10:59   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I've only sailed the Seawind ketch version minimally and felt it to be really a good performing boat and would expect the sloop version to be as good or better. Its very well designed and will be a forever boat.
kind regards,
Old 28-05-2011, 19:24   #6

Boat: Allied Mistress
The allied family of boats are well made. I own a Mistress ketch rig and she is very forgiving and easy to handle. There is a great Allied Users group on Yahoo. I recommend using them in addition to CF.

EC Sailor
EC Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 10:18   #7
njb

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I am pretty familiar with Gilmer and the Seawind's history. That's part of the reason I'm so interested in one. One of the things that attracted me to the ketch rig on such a small boat was the versatility and ease of sail handling, particularly when I'm out alone. I'm just a little concerned that the larger sails on the sloop rig might be a little unwieldy. But it seems as though owners of the sloop version are few and far between. I will check out the yahoo group, thanks for the lead on that.

Any thoughts about those deck leaks? It seems like there's some water coming out around the interior overhead handrail. I'm nervous about the cored decks on a boat this old...Any Allied owners have experience with this?

Thanks again.
njb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, Seawind, sloop