Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 18:09   #1

Allied Seawind 30

I am currently looking seriously at a seawind 30. Personal surveys have gone great, and a professional survey by an accredited marine surveyor is next. The diesel is the only thing I have not had a chance to look at properly. (I understand that the auxillary power is a huge part of the boat $$$) I understand that these were the first plastic boats to circumnavigate, but as other posts have stated, it is not whether or not a boat can do it but what level of safety the boat itself offers in inclimate weather. (most safety admittedly comes with an experienced helmsman and crew.) I was wondering with its somewhat shallow draft (4ft and some change) how well it can be expected to heave to. Also, can anyone speak to known weaknesses of these predecessors of the more easily found Seawind IIs. This is a rare sloop rig instead of ketch, so no mizzen cluttering up a small cockpit. (That seemed a weakness or at least inconvenience to me when looking at both rigs)

The main things I believe that may need to be changed in the boat are an icebox instead of refrigeration and dropping some unnecessary electronics that all boats still in operation today always have.

There is not a lot easily found on the 30s as most searches end with results about seawind II. Any info, ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ericmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 01:08   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Dunno anything about an Allied Seawind - but I would argue whether 4 foot draft on a 30 foot boat is "shallow draft", but in any event I don't beleive that heaving too is directly related to keel depth - keel shape probably has more of an impact and if the following is what you are talking about (apart from no Mizzen!) I can't see any reason why she would not heave too.

AND a bowprit! Me jealous? Yup!

BTW I dunno about in your part of the world, but IME a Marine Engineer is way cheaper than a Surveyor - so if the engine condition is an important part of the buying decision (usually is!) then maybe get the Engineer in before paying out for the Surveyor? Of course Emgineers don't have X ray specs ........but at least they can spot some things / give some comfort
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:06   #3

Hi Ericmower, my wife and I lived aboard an Allied Seawind for 7 years, travelling between the Chesapeake and the Caribbean. I have nothing but positive things to remember about our experiences with the boat. Ours was one of the older ones, hull #7 built in 1962 the year they started. Yes they were the first fiberglass boat to circumnavigate, you can find the story of Allan Eddy and his seawind 'Apogee' on the net and it's a great read, he was attacked by whales in the Pacific, grounded on a reef for several days, and made it around in 4 years mostly by himself. The boats are very seaworthy, and we always felt that she could take a lot more ocean than we could. Compared to most modern built boats, the Seawind's full keel 4-1/2' draft is a lot of keel, making a stable seaworthy boat. I remember reading a story of one that got rolled all the way around and righted itself. We were once motorsailing along the north coast of the Dominican Republic at night with a full main up when we got blasted by a katabatic wind coming off the shore. It went from 5 kts of wind to 30-40 in less than a minute and blew for two hours. While it surprised us, the boat just laughed, and we were able to leave the full main up without a problem.
I find it interesting that you don't like the mizzen and at the same time ask if it will heave to. Nothing makes a boat lay to the wind like a mizzen sail. We loved having the mizzen, for rolly anchorages where the current swung us beam on to the wind, for balancing the sails, and heaving to. With our modern autopilots the mizzen isn't as important these days, but the earlier voyagers were able to balance the sails and tie the jib sheet to the tiller for excellent self steering capabilities.
Weakness? Mostly just the age of the boats. They were built in a time when fiberglass boats were supposed to look like wooden boats so there is some exterior teak. The beam is narrow relative to the modern production boat with just a 9-1/2' beam, but that's the trade off you make for a bluewater capable 30' boat. While the interiors are ok, Allied wasn't known for amazing teak interiors like the Taiwanese boats, so they are relatively basic. The hulls are very strong, buillt before anyone knew what fiberglass blisters were, but like all old boats you need to check the coachroof for soft spots due to poorly bedded equipment. Check for play in the outboard hung rudder, they were built with bronze gudgeons and pintles that can wear out causing slop. Check around the deck stepped mast for signs of compression, although we never had a problem with that.
I think that they are great boats that still hold excellent potential and value today. As long as the boat is in good shape, it will take you anywhere you want to go, safely. I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you might have also.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:53   #4

Fishspeary, the mizzen seemed to clutter the cockpit a little. That was my only worry with it. (maybe I was also just making excuses to get the sloop rig that is nearby?) Anyways, I have been on the boat for a few hours here and there and so far it is checking out very nicely. Thanks for your input as a previous owner. Thanks for the advice on the engine inspection first, Jersey.
Ericmower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, Seawind