Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2020, 14:38   #1

Boat: Shannon 38 ketch
Advice on purchase of C&C 37

I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a bluewater-capable sailboat and have my eye on an '84 C&C 37. Unlike other boats I've looked I can't find any consistent trouble areas, and they seem to hold their value better than similar boats of that era. It has a deeper draft than most similar fin-keeled boats and a fairly roomy cabin for the size thanks to a relatively-wide beam, but ridiculously microscopic fuel capacity, meaning strapping diesel containers to the deck is necessary. I might make an offer next week and have it surveyed and do a sea trial. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
DarwinHolmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 15:37   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Advice on purchase of C&C 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a bluewater-capable sailboat and have my eye on an '84 C&C 37. Unlike other boats I've looked I can't find any consistent trouble areas, and they seem to hold their value better than similar boats of that era. It has a deeper draft than most similar fin-keeled boats and a fairly roomy cabin for the size thanks to a relatively-wide beam, but ridiculously microscopic fuel capacity, meaning strapping diesel containers to the deck is necessary. I might make an offer next week and have it surveyed and do a sea trial. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
These are very good sailing boats. 76 l of fuel is only 20 gallons. Your motoring range will be something like 240 miles. As little as I like jerry cans on deck 2 or 3 would effectively double your range (well, 3 or 4).

However, your sailing range is unlimited, and with a boat which sails as well as this C&C you probably don't need to carry extra fuel for most passages.

With a range of 500 miles (4 jerry cans) you would surely arrive anywhere you want to go with most of your fuel left over.

Our range is 550 miles, under power. Yet we've never even used half of our fuel on any passage and we've circumnavigated.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:02   #3

Thank you. My research indicates that the C&C 37 has an excellent combination of speed, manueverability, stability, and comfort. The broad beam makes it a bit more challenging in heavy seas than a narrower beam, but the deep draft compensates somewhat. It seems like a sensible compromise for what will hopefully be my home for the next 20-30 years. Ideally my inability to find consistent problem areas means it's also well-constructed.
Old 21-08-2020, 19:19   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I sail a C&C 38 Landfall and it has cruised the west coast by me for 9 years, it circumnavigated over a 4 year period before I bought it, they C&C are well built boats and fast for their length.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 09:23   #5

It’s a lovely boat. I know the design and the construction well. I hope you’re planning on a survey. They are balsa cored in the hull and the deck and you want to make sure that none of the balsa has water in it. Assuming that the hull and deck have not suffered water intrusion it should be a great way to go sailing
jhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 09:26   #6

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

The C & C is a great boat. I owned one 30 years ago and sailed it all over the Caribbean, in all kinds of weather. Our gray water drained into the bilge, where the bilge pump removed it. If your's is like that, I would see about improving the system.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 09:48   #7

Thank you both. Excellent advice. I will get a survey if the seller accepts my offer. This will hopefully be my home for many years so I want to make certain its as safe and sound as possible. And I will check to make sure the gray water doesn't drain into the bilge during the survey. That doesn't seem like a very sanitary system. I plan to spend next summer getting familiar with the boat on Lake Superior and modifying, repairing, and upgrading it to meet my needs before heading out to the Atlantic.
Old 22-08-2020, 10:03   #8

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have a 1981 center board C&C 36 which I like. I am not sure how my experiences transfer to the C&C37. I have had to replace all the ports because they were sun crazed or leaking. It has balsa above the waterline and I found some cracks in the gel coat around a hand rail that was caused by water in the balsa that froze. I then removed almost everything and routed out the holes and filled them with epoxy and then re-drilled them. A lot of work but not much cost. A draft over 5' will be limiting on the Intra Coastal and cruising in the Bahamas. A deeper draft will sail better and with a C&C you will not be last in the harbor. Go for it.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:06   #9

Make your offer subject to survey
jhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:13   #10

Many C&C's have cored hulls, so be sure to have that checked thoroughly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I have had to replace all the ports because they were sun crazed or leaking.
That seems to be a trouble spot with a lot of the plastic ports from that era. This is something that I will ask the surveyor about. Replacing ports on a Hunter 37C was expensive--I've already priced that! The ports on the C&C seem like different animals, which means they could be less expensive or much, much more expensive to replace. Do you mind if I ask about your cost of replacement?
Old 22-08-2020, 10:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
Make your offer subject to survey
Excellent advice. I'll also make it contingent on the results of a sea trial.
Old 22-08-2020, 10:25   #13

Boat: C&C 37

I own a 1984 C&C 37 since 1993 and have made extensive modifications to be able to use it as a cruiser and still be able to race it. If you like to learn from my experience contact me at wimpel@shaw.ca. She lives on Salt Spring Island, BC,
Canada. Unfortunately I like to keep her until I am 100.
wimpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:33   #14

Thank you Wimpel. I plan to check out the boat next week, and if I like it, make an offer pending the results of a survey and sea trial, and it's accepted, I would love to discuss your experiences, upgrades, and repairs with the boat!
Old 22-08-2020, 11:22   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Water intrusion in a cored deck in limited areas are relatively easy to deal with but blistering on the hull is a different problem.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase