Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 11:29   #16

Boat: Shannon 38 ketch
Re: Advice on purchase of C&C 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosails View Post
Water intrusion in a cored deck in limited areas are relatively easy to deal with but blistering on the hull is a different problem.
Thank you. This information makes me grateful that I will be able to hire a professional marine surveyor. I once thought I knew enough about houses to buy a house without having it inspected. I never made that mistake twice, and I knew a lot more about building houses than I do about sailboats!
DarwinHolmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 12:16   #17

Boat: C & C - 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I sail a C&C 38 Landfall and it has cruised the west coast by me for 9 years, it circumnavigated over a 4 year period before I bought it, they C&C are well built boats and fast for their length.....
I had a C&C 37, 1982 and it sailed beautifully and was well constructed.
Hull exterior may indicate some areas of high moisture but readings below the waterline are often incorrect. I drilled a few holes to expose the core material, which was perfectly dry. This satisfied the purchaser when I sold the boat.
H
hbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 12:23   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
Excellent advice. I'll also make it contingent on the results of a sea trial.
An offer subject to survey and sea trial is pretty much the norm.
Old 22-08-2020, 15:17   #19

Boat: C&C 37

I have a 1984 C&C 37. It is my 7th sailboat - ranging from new to used., and I am very pleased with it - but have only sailed it on Lake Ontario. Original user raced it extensively - full racing gear. Second owner upgraded some amenities and cruised it extensively. I has been well maintained throughout, but the non-skid needs upgrading, so Kiwigrip next spring. Other than that, it has received routine maintenance (head replaced, stove replaced with Microwace and propane cooktop. Sails excellently, and I often solo sail it - and the big main can be a handful to furl by myself. Sails excellently, like most pf the C&Cs of that era and a very solid boat. No dampness problems in hull and deck, but rudder was replaced 4 years ago. Hope yours meets survey as you will enjoy the boat.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 12:17   #20

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

Re cost of replacing the ports: My original side ports were acrylic and glued in the cabin sides. I replaced them the first time with Lexan and they sun crazed quickly. They are now acrylic and bolted in place with butyl rubber gasketing. They have not leaked and can move a little to avoid cracking. This was not expensive, perhaps less than $100.
The opening top deck hatches were from Atkins and Hoyle (?), a Canadian manufacturer. I could not stop them from leaking around the acrylic after many attempts. A&H would repair them for $$$ and guarantee them for 1 year, big woop! I guess I could have tented the boat while the hatches were being repaired. I replaced them with hatches from Lewmar for less than the repair cost. I liked the Lewmar design because the acrylic is not glued into a frame and the seal comes from the acrylic pressing on the rubber seal in the bottom half of the hatch.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 12:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I replaced them with hatches from Lewmar for less than the repair cost. I liked the Lewmar design because the acrylic is not glued into a frame and the seal comes from the acrylic pressing on the rubber seal in the bottom half of the hatch.
The first boat I looked at, a Hunter 37C, had Lewmar hatches. They looked like they worked pretty well. If I need to replace the hatches that will be what I use. Thank you.

Was going to see the boat today but it was pouring rain all morning. I'll go Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 24-08-2020, 14:30   #22

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Hull blisters have never been an issue with C&C, the “smile” in the keel to hull joint has been an issue......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 14:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Hull blisters have never been an issue with C&C, the “smile” in the keel to hull joint has been an issue......
Thank you. I'll examine the keel to hull joint with the surveyor when we pull the boat out.
Old 25-09-2020, 10:58   #24

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

Hi Darwin, how'd the offer & survey go? I'm myself a week--and a final inspection--away from closing on a 1985 C&C 37. Very excited for some great sailing in the years ahead. The boat surveyed extremely well, as I hope yours did, though some wiring was failing/substandard and the dripless shaft seal was misting a little. Except for a couple marginal readings on the deck, the boat tested remarkably dry, though it's out of the yard right now with a cracked blister drying to assess any possible core intrusion. If all goes well, let's stay in touch as we get to know our boats! I'll PM my email.
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 13:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
Hi Darwin, how'd the offer & survey go? I'm myself a week--and a final inspection--away from closing on a 1985 C&C 37. Very excited for some great sailing in the years ahead. The boat surveyed extremely well, as I hope yours did, though some wiring was failing/substandard and the dripless shaft seal was misting a little. Except for a couple marginal readings on the deck, the boat tested remarkably dry, though it's out of the yard right now with a cracked blister drying to assess any possible core intrusion. If all goes well, let's stay in touch as we get to know our boats! I'll PM my email.
Hey Subdude,

Darwin bought a beeautiful Shannon 38 and just took her across Lake Superior...

See his recent thread (last week, I think) called "My New Home".

There are pictures!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 06:32   #26

Boat: C&C 44

I have a 37 for sale in Toronto., 1983, yanmar, furling,ST 60, autopilot, $51,000.CDN.
Will launch mid- April. Many upgrades inc. a new rudder!
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 10:21   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

The hull-keel joint smile and cored hull are deal-breakers for me for any brand. I don't even like cored decks ha, well except to make money repairing them. Core material is used to increase stiffness by as much as 7 to 30 X, which is one component of strength for a given weight of material. Even thick layers of fiberglass are usually a little "boingy." Boingy is bad when you are walking on it or attaching hardware. But boingy is good when you hit a floating log. And moisture in the core with delamination takes away strength which is never good when the goal is to reduce weight and save materials by engineering with little reserve strength. Not trying to provoke another core war of words, this is just my opinion.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 11:03   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

These fully balsa cored hulls are now at an age where balsa degradation is becoming a fairly common problem. The vessel should be out of water at least overnight before surveying the bottom.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:41   #29

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMM View Post
I have a 37 for sale in Toronto., 1983, yanmar, furling,ST 60, autopilot, $51,000.CDN.
Will launch mid- April. Many upgrades inc. a new rudder!
Do you still have this boat?
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:48   #30

Boat: C&C 44

Sold it. Surveyed and just waiting for launch.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase