Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 10:50   #46

Re: Advice on Albin Cumulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Go to a local marina, talk to boat owners there ... look for a sailing club or something in your area ... Place an ad in the Crew Available section on this forum ... Join some crewing websites ...
Timing is a funny thing. One ad that I responded to literally just called me back and I have a spot for my wife and I to go sailing in a few weeks and race regularly after that. So apparently I just wasn't patient enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
You can crew without taking classes, and Lizzie is right about how to do that. Showing up on race day with a six pack of decent beer is really helpful as many people cancel last minute.

I think knowing something about sailing prior to crewing is helpful both to you and to the skipper who may take you on, but try just showing up first and seeing how it goes. I also find sailing teachers often can help you move to a crew position, depending on where they teach and who they know.
See my comments above but thank you for all of the advice as I really appreciate it. Just so you know if I hadn't gotten that call than I would have gone to my next local race with a six pack and some food

I will still keep an eye out for boats but being on a race crew will probably keep me busy and teach me a lot about what boat I want. Thanks again for all the help!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
SV Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Even big fast cruising boats can't outrun the weather. The good news is you can plan when the best time to go will be and avoid bad weather. Still, in some parts of the world in certain times of the year you may run into some bad weather and yes you should be ready for it. IN your case you happen to live in one area where as soon as you head out from the sound you could be in some big swells and winds almost any time of year. So if you are ready for that you'll be in pretty good shape. Usually for cruising, if a boat can go a half knot or a knot faster, that does not trump sea-worthiness and sea-kindliness. The Alberg 30, Cape Dory 28 are in the ball park for boats I'd head out with and turn the corner. They are ok to learn to sail on, but I'd buy a Laser too and learn on that while you are working on the "big" boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 16:12   #48
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Finster View Post
Timing is a funny thing. One ad that I responded to literally just called me back and I have a spot for my wife and I to go sailing in a few weeks and race regularly after that. So apparently I just wasn't patient enough

See my comments above but thank you for all of the advice as I really appreciate it. Just so you know if I hadn't gotten that call than I would have gone to my next local race with a six pack and some food

I will still keep an eye out for boats but being on a race crew will probably keep me busy and teach me a lot about what boat I want. Thanks again for all the help!

Yay!!! Have a great time! I know this is going to sound a little much, but do write down somewhere any thoughts you have about boats or features you like or dislike, and do it as soon as possible. You will see a lot, and hear a lot. It is very easy to forget specifics.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 20:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Even big fast cruising boats can't outrun the weather. The good news is you can plan when the best time to go will be and avoid bad weather. Still, in some parts of the world in certain times of the year you may run into some bad weather and yes you should be ready for it. IN your case you happen to live in one area where as soon as you head out from the sound you could be in some big swells and winds almost any time of year. So if you are ready for that you'll be in pretty good shape. Usually for cruising, if a boat can go a half knot or a knot faster, that does not trump sea-worthiness and sea-kindliness. The Alberg 30, Cape Dory 28 are in the ball park for boats I'd head out with and turn the corner. They are ok to learn to sail on, but I'd buy a Laser too and learn on that while you are working on the "big" boat.
Thanks for the advice and I will look into both of those boats when I get the chance to travel to Oregon. I have been looking for a sailing dinghy that could double as a larger boats' dinghy, but I haven't been able to snag one close to home for a decent price yet. I just don't want to spend a lot of time learning on a small boat because that would limit my sailing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Yay!!! Have a great time! I know this is going to sound a little much, but do write down somewhere any thoughts you have about boats or features you like or dislike, and do it as soon as possible. You will see a lot, and hear a lot. It is very easy to forget specifics.
Thanks I will take your advice and hopefully soon I will be able to find the right sailboat for my family [emoji2]

Thanks again for everyone who gave me advice. I looked at the cumulus today and she matched the owners description. I really appreciate the advice people gave because it helped me look at the boat with a more critical eye. I am going to think about putting in an offer but I don't think I will get the boat even if I do offer because it will be very low.

Old 09-04-2016, 20:49   #50

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I have been looking for a sailing dinghy // I just don't want to spend a lot of time learning on a small boat because that would limit my sailing time.
Yeah, whenever people ask me why I don't go sailing more often I always explain that it cuts into my sailing time too much. So annoying!

Quote:
I am going to think about putting in an offer

Quote:
but I don't think I will get the boat even if I do offer because it will be very low.
Chances are the owner will be very happy someone actually made an offer and will take her off his hands.
Old 09-04-2016, 21:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Yeah, whenever people ask me why I don't go sailing more often I always explain that it cuts into my sailing time too much. So annoying!

Chances are the owner will be very happy someone actually made an offer and will take her off his hands.
The reason it would cut into my sailing time is because I like to spend a lot of my free time with my family. If I am sailing on a laser or dinghy than I won't sail as often as I would on a larger boat. My wife and baby daughter wouldn't spend a weekend on a laser sailing but they would on a larger boat. Also if I spend money on a laser than it will cut into my sailboat budget. That's why I have been looking for a sailing dinghy that can double as a dinghy for a larger sailboat.

I didn't say I was planning on making an offer. I also didn't say how low I would be willing to offer because this is a public forum and the owner was a nice lady. You can assume that if I decide to make an offer it will be low enough that should I decide to scrap the boat I won't lose a dollar.

This cumulus is a boat that I will never take past the straits of juan de fuca. I could possibly learn on it and turn into a comfortable puget sound cruiser with a small budget and some hard work. I would still need a sea trial and the chance to do a self survey before I would even think of buying this project. I'm going to be spending my time researching coastal cruisers suited for the puget sound. When I get another sailboat that I have questions about I'm sure I'll ask around here so you will get a chance to ridicule me some more since you seem to like it so much [emoji6]