Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 03:40   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: A survey on a new boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
KEVIN BACHE IN SANDUSKY DOES A NICE JOB

BACHEMARINESURVEY.COM

419-684-7910

Thanks anchorman. I did find him from the nams website and just emailed him on his availability next week. Any idea what his fee might be?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 03:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
French piece of junk get a GOOD surveyor

Now that's a clear message! guess you may apply the same sentiment to any production boat from anywhere in the world.

But scanning your posts I did find your useful recommendation on NAMS so thanks.
Old 22-10-2015, 03:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
The 349 is actually built in the U.S.

I've looked at a couple Demo boats, and I find the dealers definition of Demo is not the same as mine . It's not like a car where it was used for 30 minute test drives. In my case the boat was overnighted on by employees of the brokerage and perhaps even chartered for a a few days here and there - which I guess is what a demo boat is for. Doesn't mean a nefarious use of the word Demo, but it does open up the possibility of broken stuff that may not have gone reported. So ya, I would get a survey. Great boat BTW.

Thanks Chris. Useful insights.
Old 22-10-2015, 03:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Read the post on the new lagoon cat

Ok but what's the post title or name of forum where I can find it?
Old 22-10-2015, 04:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Ok but what's the post title or name of forum where I can find it?
Lagoon 52, think twice before purchasing it - Page 5 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 04:32   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Absolutely get the survey...

If there is anything found of more than marginal expenses are involved... It's a great card to hold in future negotiations...

Sure you have the warranty... but you can remind "salesman Joe" your survey say found a lot of things... Say the MFD is glitchy... or something else... You can hold out for complete replacement (or updated) instead of multiple service calls...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 05:06   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

What's the price of a survey and what's the price of a new boat? I deal with several marine companies that perform pre and post purchase warranty work. They are always busy. I don't care what anyone says, and this is especially true with new boats, this is an expensive hobby. CYA

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 06:32   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

ABSOLUTELY, Without A Doubt, Get One! Including ones on the propulsion system, & rigging as well.

Treat going over her, & accepting her with as much or more, attention paid to detail than you would were she a used vessel. As if she'd been someone's baby for a while, then, under such circumstances, you'd have decent odds in your favor that the previous owners would have nailed down & sorted out any major deficiencies. Knock on wood.

Where as, with many a "new" boat, I have seen & or myself created, lists of things which needed doing to them, several pages long, single spaced, as a delivery skipper. And I'm by no means unique in this regard. Many who've delivered new boats, have encountered similar sets of circumstances. Even the Pardey's have written about such.
This reasoning is also a lot of the why behind shakedown cruises.

I'm not trying to make you worry especially. It's just that some factories, do at times get a bit sloppy about things. And you also have to consider that a boat literally has dozens of systems, with thousands of hand fitted parts in it.
Also, a demo boat is a bit like a rental car, if you get my meaning.

Plus, your "2 year" warranty period, is more akin to 18 months, max. If you're getting her now, at the end of the sailing season, in the North country.
So test out everything, as vigorously as you dare, before signing off on making her yours.
After that, enjoy breaking her in, & making good memories with her.

PS: Now would be a GREAT time to fully go over her every detail & system with a video & still camera, & fully document her. Including backing up a copy of your data/images in a 2nd location.
That way, by having her every detail "on file" from when you accepted her, there can't be any doubt if you do have to have warranty work done.
Plus, it may be a handy tool to show her buyers, many years hence, how well you've both cared for, & also upgraded her.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 10:07   #24

Thanks to all of you who gifted me with their insights. My confidence is now elevated as I move forward. Now if the weather cooperates....its getting cold and the winds are predicted @ less than 10.
Old 22-10-2015, 19:24   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Final acceptance from the Jeanneau dealer next week on a 2015 Jeanneau 349 used as a demo boat this past season (US Great Lakes area). She's still in the water. The full two year factory warranty will be applied to this boat.

Would you still get a survey?
If one would get a $500 pre-purchase survey on a $20K with 40 years of experience to give up her deficiencies, why on earth would one not get a $500 survey on a 1 year old, $200K boat, that has had no real time to show her weaknesses?

Ramblin Rod
www.sheenmarine.com
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 19:42   #26
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Absolutely get the survey...

If there is anything found of more than marginal expenses are involved... It's a great card to hold in future negotiations...

Sure you have the warranty... but you can remind "salesman Joe" your survey say found a lot of things... Say the MFD is glitchy... or something else... You can hold out for complete replacement (or updated) instead of multiple service calls...
As far as the surveyor is concerned, the engine does not have to run, the sails do not have to draw, and the electronics do not have to power up.

A fully qualified marine surveyor is not likely to even turn on an MFD, let alone know if there was anything wrong with it, if there was.

Few will look at sails, start the engine, operate the transmission, or even light the stove.

The typical marine survey inspection takes around 4 hours. This means that the surveyor "LOOKS" at the "VISIBLE":

1. Fuel system.
2. Propane system.
3. Hull integrity.
4. Deck integrity.
5. Seacocks.
6. Electrical/electronic components and wiring.
7. Exhaust system.
8. Mandatory safety equipment.

Not that a survey isn't important and that surveyors aren't doing a great job. One just can't assure deficiency-free as a result of a 4 hour inspection.

For every one electrical system deficiency a surveyor finds, when I'm hired to remediate, I find at least one more. (Not because I am any better at inspecting than they are, but rather I have to take things apart to fix one thing, and then find umpteen more.)

Ramblin Rod
www.sheenmarine.com
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 20:35   #27

I have to say your view of it is unique, Rod.

That's what I'm looking for. Basic, at-the-heart-of-it insight. I'll focus on these systems. Will keep you all posted on events.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I've just been schooled in the basics, which is what I'd hoped for.
Old 22-10-2015, 21:26   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One of the things worth doing as part of a survey, or at worst, the test sail. Is to make sure that the boat's well tied off, & run the engine @ full power for 2hrs+. As well as 1/2hr+ in reverse. And to keep an eye on the temp gauges, in addition to physically inspecting every part of the drive train while this is going on.

It's just one of many of the things which should be looked at with a close eye, as part of a pre-purchase acceptance. And one of the reasons why you hire a good marine engine surevyor/mechanic, in addition to the regular surveyor.

Ditto on having a rigging survey done.
Plus, if you're at all uncomfortable inspecting your sails, have a pro look at them as well. Which can't hurt regardless, especially if you set it up so that you get a written survey report on them also.

I can't say as I've read far into this thread yet, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...52#post1938052 , but it's one of the reasons why having everything on a new boat put under the magnifying glass is the only way to go.

That, & from as early back in my life as I can recall, I saw guys having as many, or more problems with new boats, than with used ones. Including on that my Dad bought (new). A good bit of it because they didn't have the boat gone over because it was new, & thus, "should" be in ideal shape.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 06:59   #29

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 45

Having just celebrated my one year anniversary of taking delivery of a new boat. I think a lot of what you do depends on your level of trust and the reputation of the dealer. In my case both where high. All of the visible things mentioned above where in great shape when the boat was delivered. But taking delivery of a new boat is the same as taking delivery of a new house, you can't find the flaws until you live in it a few days. The first couple of days everything seams perfect, then as you actually use the boat you'll discover the " issues" and need to develop a punch list. In my case it was mostly cosmetic stuff. Plastic covers on exposed bolts, a locker clip that just didn't fit right etc. all in all our punch list after the first few days was about a dozen nuisance things which the dealer promptly fixed before we left the boat at the end of the week. The issues I became concerned about begin to show up a few months later. My radar became intermittent, my VHF would receive and not transmit. My dealer continued to inspect the boat and found a small oil leak. All of which turned out to be no big deal ( radar cable had a bad connector, vhf antenna was loose probably from vibration when moving from the factory and the oil leak was a loose clamp). The radar was the most perplexing thing and was my most concerning as to the warranty but my dealer said that I identified it during the warranty period and they would fix it at their cost no matter how long it took.

My dealers service manager upon delivering the boat took about four hours with me and walked her bow to stern going through every electrical connection, through hull and every system and also advised me as to where they had found problems in the past on other boats and what to look for if a problem was developing and that was a lot more valuable to me than the results from the survey.
Ala Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 14:58   #30

Boat: CS 27

Just wanted to clarify my statement that the 349 is U.S. built. I think it's France built, I confused it with the 379.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey