Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 02:05   #1

1975 S-2 (26 ft) Opinions please

Owner is selling after 35 years. And very little use in the past 15. PO says pictures are from last summer and that the sails are ok for cruising but not for racing. He says the interior needs redone. I'm thinking about getting this as a learning boat. Asking price is $500 obo without the motor. (I have a long shaft 9.9)

He states that the rigging is in great shape. However, after reading some other posts, I will find out if it has ever been replaced. But that is doubtful.

S2 - 26' sailboat

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bill
madman960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Re: 1975 S-2 (26 ft) Opinions please

Hi Bill,
Looks like you have been studying up on sailing from your join date. Right time of the year to get in a full season on Lake Erie.
The boat looks pretty clean, you have a 9.9, the initial expense is low. Great size to hone some skills.
At $500 you won't get much consideration for rigging...if you take it to rigging shop, or find a rigging kit online my guess is less than $1000. The storage costs are the biggest expense and they add up. Insurance should be reasonable. If you have considered these other expenses with a sound mind, have a knowledgable sailor ( not a bragger) have a look at it with you...looks like fun to me! Congrats and Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:26   #3

Captjcook,

Thanks for the information. I am aware of the extra epenses. On top of the storage and dock fees, there will likely be tons of maintenance. Having one owner for the last 35 years appeals to me. Likely the second owner as it is a 40 year old boat. My comment about the rigging is due to the advice I see on here regularly about the useable life of rigging is 25 years. I'm sure new sails are in order if the vessel will get regular use. I don't know any sailors in the area. I am currently trying to arrange a time to view the boat.

Thanks again for the input.

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44   #4

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
1975 S-2 (26 ft) Opinions please

25 years?! Most on here actively cruising advocate a ten year change on standing rigging, and seven if you're racing, I believe.

A boat in fresh water not being sailed often; well, that is likely a different story and there are many of that type with their original rigging.

I have only sailed the thirty foot s2, but that was a very solid boat. It seems like if this boat is in reasonable condition, the purchase price is good and the real cost will be in the maintenance. Sails and rigging will be relatively inexpensive as replacement items if needed. Only thing that could take your time and money are structural or major cosmetic repairs, really.

How much of the interior needs to e redone? Are bulkheads ripped out and oil spilled everywhere? Or are the cushions just tired and the varnish lacking gleam?
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17   #5

Brownoarsman,

All things require maintenance. PO said pictures in the ad taken last summer. The exterior seems really nice for a 40 year old boat. When I get to view the boat, I will be able to answer your questions on the interior work needed. But here is what he posted in the ad "Sails are fair, boat is fair, just cosmetic work in the interior to your own taste". So I figure the cushions are tired and the varnish lacks gleam. He also told me that the battery was replaced 2 years ago but he is not certain of current condition. He said there are no holding tanks but there is a port a jon. The alcohol stove should work as he claims to never have used it in 35 years. I am not sure if the motor is still mounted but will assume so as he hasn't mentioned removing it.

I forgot to mention the purchase price includes launching.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

These boats are not known for their sailing abilities and workmanship.

Alcohol stoves are dangerous. I would get LPG or a microwave.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
Owner is selling after 35 years. And very little use in the past 15. PO says pictures are from last summer and that the sails are ok for cruising but not for racing. He says the interior needs redone. I'm thinking about getting this as a learning boat. Asking price is $500 obo without the motor. (I have a long shaft 9.9)

He states that the rigging is in great shape. However, after reading some other posts, I will find out if it has ever been replaced. But that is doubtful.

S2 - 26' sailboat

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bill
crappy
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:40   #8

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Alcohol stoves are dangerous.

(I'm enjoying a nice discount on my insurance fees cos I have an alcohol stove
Apparently, after reading this forum, it looks like the Dutch make their boats go BOOM when using gas, while Americans are more likely to burn theirs down when using alcohol )

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
crappy
Very helpful indeed ...

To the OP: see if you can get some more facts; I see too many assumptions
From those few pics, it's hard to say much if anything.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43   #9

David,

Would this make a decent starter boat? As in learning to sail? I won't use the alcohol stove. I just find it odd he never used it.

Geoleo;

Why do you say crappy?

I have to see it in person before making a decision.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 09:48   #10

Lizzie,

What facts do I need? I agree that it's hard to tell anything by the pictures. I am not expecting much for a $500 boat. He does not have a dinghy for it so I plan to use my 10 ft sit on top kayak. I have asked everything I know to ask and have put all the info in my post here.

Thanks;

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 10:19   #11

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Hi Bill,

I disagree with the poster who said the s2s lacked workmanship. I would have one over my Pearson 28-1, and would have one now if the 30 ft had been on the market when and where I was buying As a learning to sail boat, really anything that works right away and doesn't require too much of your money is a good buy, and that you can sell quickly when you're done.

Regarding the alcohol stove: check to see if is pressurized or unpressurized. The former can cause fireballs, the latter are very safe (much more so than a neglected 35 year old propane system, for instance).

Regarding the port a john, many pocket cruisers use them. If you'd like to put a holding tank in, consider buying the port a potti with a larger capacity and the ability to discharge directly out - if that is allowed in your area. Or, just keep what you have, pee down the sink, in a bottle, off the stern, or holding onto the shrouds, and save the current setup for solids.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44   #12

I am not able to view the boat today as the owner is working til after dark. Will try for tomorrow. I will get interior pictures. Any other information I should try to get? Owner should be able to answer anything after owning the S2 for 35 years.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44   #13

Wow,
I see this as a first boat, daysailer/weekender on Lake Erie. Put-in Bay if weather permits.

I looked at S2 Yachts at the boat show in 1979 and found them sound production boats, way better than many.

I really doubt Bill has aspirations of crossing oceans in this boat.

Looking up comparable boats found this model asking around $4,500. At $500, if it checks out, I highly recommend replacing standing rigging, with the mast down it can be removed and easily replaced, inexpensively, no matter how old...it's your life, or someone you love.

If Bill does not go overboard with toys, he can sail it for the summer and have much fun! I do not see him losing much dough if there is nothing majorly wrong like structural problems. He will be gaining great experience.

I have friends that love their alcohol stoves...certainly require safety precautions.

A microwave? Really? That would take a generator...A Magma grill on the rail will be plenty for a 26' daysailor.

Old 06-03-2016, 13:11   #14

Bill,

The first thing is to look for any structural problems...look, feel for soft springy spots everywhere. If cored and wet it is a big task. Try to get a look at the chain plates, rust and/or rot will be your telltale. Look for repaired areas.
If I looked up the same comp boat, it has a swing keel, ask if/ when the pendant was changed and about the pivot. Ask about rudder bearings, check for excessive play.
Ask if the boat suffered major damage. What maintenance has been done and what the owner thinks should be addressed, if the guy try's to snow you...I think you will do fine. Having had it 35 years, he would like to see it cleaned up and go to a good home...

Get a list of included equipment, anchors, vhf, gps, life jackets...this stuff adds up. See if they know where to get a trailer, if you want one.

Unless you are absolutely certain...report findings here to get vetted and post pictures!

Best of luck!
Jim

Old 06-03-2016, 13:12   #15

Captjcook,

What would be overboard with toys? You are correct, I will not be crossing oceans in this boat. It is just for sailing experience. If I don't like sailing, I won't be out much money. If I do, then I will have to decide on keeping this boat or selling and buying another.

I don't use micowaves. However, I have my portable induction cooktops and portable turbo ovens. I love these. I know I may need to buy more batteries and some inverters.

Thanks;

Bill

Tags
lease