Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 12:11   #1

MOODY 54-DS V/S beneteau-OCEANIS 55

hello everyone !
i am hesitating between those two monohulls - the new moody 54ds and the new beneteau-oceanis-55.......
for quite some time now my mind has actually been set on buying a catamaran, but the the more i think about it, and the more i'm exploring the monohull option....
I love those two boats above. I haven't sailed them yet, but visited them at numerous boat shows...My plan will be to cruise and circumnavigate...... how do they behave in rough waters? what the their durability, build quality, and sturdiness? how do these boats compare?
thanks for any info you can get me, and your experiences.....
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:58   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: MOODY 54-DS V/S beneteau-OCEANIS 55

No experience with either (other than walking through on boat shows), but I guess it depends on how you like to use it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume:

1. The Beneteau 55 will be a little cheaper, but the Moody 54 will be slightly better quality.

2. B55 has a better, wide open cockpit, with all around view. M54 has a better salon with all around view.

3. Due to hard chines and lower center of gravity and lower profile, the B55 will have a smoother ride and sail slightly faster. However, the M54 has a nav station with clear view forward, from which I assume you could pilot the boat in comfort during bad weather.

4. M54 seems to have more dedicated room for storage.

5. The master cabin on the B55 is amazingly well laid out.

6. I like how the Moody DS boats are built like power boats with two levels of accomodations. Like on a catamaran, you can walk from the galley to the cockpit without having to go up steps. However, the design means the 3 cabins are all very close to one another, which also means less privacy.

It's a bit of a toss up. In the long run, I would probably prefer the M54 DS for cruising, but if it were 3 couples aboard, or any large groups of people (for example, if you entertain a lot) I think the B55 would work better.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 14:39   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I envy anyone burdened with having to make such a decision. Good luck.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 15:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
I envy anyone burdened with having to make such a decision. Good luck.

I was going to suggest he buy a 5 year old version of each and I would take whichever one he didn't like off his hands for free
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 00:16   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post

I was going to suggest he buy a 5 year old version of each and I would take whichever one he didn't like off his hands for free
Neither are particularly good Water boats">Blue Water boats... if I was looking at those 2, I would have a long sideways glance at Bene 57's... no longer very new but very good value for money. Avoid the dark Blue hulls ...

... or perhaps you have more money than most of us

Good Luck in your quest.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 04:44   #6

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

First World dilemma.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:22   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

I have a new oceanis 48, and am thinking of trading up to the 55. The Hanse 575, is also an option and a beautiful boat. The 55 has so much more room and storage than the 48. Did not go on the Moody in Annapolis, so I can't speak to that. I know the 48 is a good rough sea boat so far. Needs ten knots to move, but really goes in 25
chris4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:26   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Whats the price difference between them?

Either would be fine for a curcumnavigation.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:58   #9

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
hello everyone ! i am hesitating between those two monohulls - the new moody 54ds and the new beneteau-oceanis-55....... for quite some time now my mind has actually been set on buying a catamaran, but the the more i think about it, and the more i'm exploring the monohull option.... I love those two boats above. I haven't sailed them yet, but visited them at numerous boat shows...My plan will be to cruise and circumnavigate .... how do they behave in rough waters? what the their durability, build quality, and sturdiness? how do these boats compare? thanks for any info you can get me, and your experiences.....
I would choose the Moody if, tired of the Tropics I'd like to cool down for a while in British Columbia or New Zealand (Inside steering compulsory) ... If I intend to escape winter altogether, I would choose the Beneteau Oceanis 55 that looks more like a summer fun sailboat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moody.jpg
Views:	2113
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	97382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oceanis-55.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	97383  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 13:08   #10

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We were in Puerto Morelos when a 55 foot Beneteau came racing in, all pumps running because pounding and one big heavy slam had blown out the plumbing on one of the forward thru hulls. Probably an older boat, probably not maintained properly, etc.
Take the Moody.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 17:48   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I have never sailed the Oceanis 55 however I have been on one at the boat show a couple of years ago, and a couple of things come to mind. I am six feet tall however the coach roof was extremely tall and I had trouble seeing over it. My then girlfriend was in the low five foot range and couldn't see over at all, so she would not be able to assist with steering under most cases.

This was due to the sole only being a couple of steps down. The hull seemed very flat and more designed as a VERY nice apartment. This flat hull didn't seem like it would be very sea kindly when beating to windward. Additionally, the windows in both the coachroof and the hull were VERY large, again more akin to a waterside apartment than a blue water boat. I wouldn't feel very comfortable going more than a couple of days offshore but depending upon your travel plans, it might be fine for what you are doing.

The Oceanis had the potential for a LOT of stowage. It was kitted out with all sorts of gadgets and electronics but my personal preference would to NOT have some of those things such as in mast furling, etc. simply because there is more to go wrong on an extended cruse. It was however a very airy and spacious vessel. For coastal cruising, I think it would be very comfortable, aside from the excessively tall coach roof. For travels around the world, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 18:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

alexxx, have you looked at the Garcia Exploration 52?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 18:46   #13

Boat: 1983 COMPASS 29'
Send a message via Skype™ to xsteel

I know one very nice gentleman who bought the Moody late last year & sailed in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race leaving Sydney on 26-12-2014 in it's 1st race - Trybooking.com - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2014. You could try contacting Royal Brighton Yacht Club in Melbourne Australia, who should be able to put you in contact with Grant Dunoon.
xsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 18:48   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Moody looks good here.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:00   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Love both. Seriously considered oceanis 55 at $760k delivered San Diego with all the toys. I was priced out of moody at $1.1m. Significantly different boats. I went with sense 50 which I think in many ways is similar to moody. Don't know moody quality given built by hanse and not sure why so much more expensive than a hanse 575. I suggest you get one of each.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis