Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 09:53   #31

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: 1975 S-2 (26 ft) Opinions please

Ok my first question is where do you plan to sail out of on Erie?

Secondly either of those boats with an 8hp and decent prop is plenty. I had a Bristol 24 as my first keelboat (prior were small cats). The two are very similar and built very close together in New England.

Some things that are different between the S2 and the Pearson is hull shape. The Pearson is a wine glass type hull and will be tender (tippy) to about 20 degrees of heel and then go like its on rails. It's hard to screw up in a boat like the Pearson. I tried to broach my Bristol (controlled to learn) but never did.

The S2 is flatter and more champagne glass type shape. It prefers to be less rail in the water before you start sailing sideways. Both nice boats just different.

The beamy hulls like the S2 have more living space but I think the Pearson type boat (there are several similar) is a perfect first boat. They don't go well in light air but when that thunderstorm catches you it is very forgiving provided you have an ounce of common sense which you seem to have.

All of these boats have cored decks. You don't want softness around the chain plates or deck fittings. It's fixable but is time consuming and gives you a point to negotiate with.

Take a screwdriver along and tap with the upside down handle on deck (bit in the air perpendicular to the deck). It doesn't take any force at all. If you hear a hollow boom that's dry typically if you get a dull thud that is typically wet core. Exceptions exist where there is built in reinforcement but that basic knowledge helped me a lot getting started.

Look for any staining too on the wood that shows water leaks. Freshwater doesn't show a lot of rust.

Also a big top join BoatUS and get a towing policy. Best $50 you will spend if you need it one time.

Hope this helps a bit.
SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59   #32

Thanks SC.

I didn't get to test the S2. Both Pearsons are quite a drive for me. However, gas would cost roughly $60 round trip. Not including food or a room if I needed to stop for an extended time. Having never been to MD, I may venture out to sea the boat. I love visiting new places and meeting folks.

I moved around alot as a child. We moved every 6 months to 1.5 years. Not sure why. In 2005 I joined the Marine Corps and continued moving every few years. Spent alot of time afloat with the Navy. Cramped quarters and not much to do. I loved my time on ship. I spent my year plus at sea on LHD 3s.

I think a weekender boat or liveaboard would be easy for me. I think I am ready to find out.

Lastly, there is a guy on cl that has a 40 ft sailboat and is looking for people to daysail with him on his boat. I have yet to answer the ad cause I am afraid if I start out on something that big, I may want something that big.

Bill
madman960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:24   #33

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
1975 S-2 (26 ft) Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
Thanks SC.

Lastly, there is a guy on cl that has a 40 ft sailboat and is looking for people to daysail with him on his boat. I have yet to answer the ad cause I am afraid if I start out on something that big, I may want something that big.

Bill

Lol I hear you. What could cure that desire though is to ask about maintenance costs. That price goes up the larger and more complicated system a boat has. I went from a simple 24 footer to a much more sophisticated 36 footer. The price for everything went up. I'm not sorry I made the choice but I spent time educating myself on it first. I get surprised now and then but that was factored in a margin of error I hoped I wouldn't need. If you are budget minded that will keep you in check.

On most of the Great Lakes there are what most call beer can racing on Wed night and Sunday mornings. (I'm not a racer but know many that do.). Look for a club near you and ask for contact info of a sail fleet contact. They can hook you up with a boat that will take new folks. I'd say at least 75% of the captains I know will happily welcome new folks onboard to observe. Most likely as rail meat to start but as you learn and want to participate they will help you learn.

If you give me an idea what is close to you town wise I or another GL sailor may be able to point you to a good starting point.

SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:08   #34

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
http://fleet7.homestead.com/files/S2info.pdf

Says all S2 yachts were made with a solid fg hull and a balsa cored deck. The 8.0 meter A was in production 1975 only and produced 40 boats. The 8.0 meter B was in production from 1976-1983 with 426 boats produced.

Bill
Sorry to be pedantic but for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future, it says that all S2 CRUISING sailboats have solid hulls (except the 35C). The racing boats had balsa cored hulls. My list is correct except that it included the 35C in the solid hull total rather than the cored hull total. There was also a typo (6.0 instead of 7.0). Thank for making me look again so that I can correct my previous mistakes.

Corrected:

Solid: 11.0, 9.2, 8.6, 8.5, 8.0, 7.3, 7.0, 6.8, 27 - 2876 boats total.
Cored: 10.3, 9.1, 7.9, 6.9, 6.7, 5.5, 35C, 22 - 1176 boats total.

As indicated "your" 8.0 has a solid hull. There aren't many sailboats that don't have a cored deck.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:38   #35

Geoff54,

I did not know you made a mistake. You mentioned the link didn't work for you, so I typed out what it said and the info pertaining to the 1975 S2 8.0 A. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
madman960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease