Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 16:22   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
husband needs captain, stuck in hampton, virginia.

boat needs new transmission. action marine at cobbs marina has it and ready to install but we need a captain to move the boat from salt pond marina to cobbs in virginia. our insurance requires us to have 100 hours with captain before we are on our own and bob planned to get that on trip down to florida and in florida. unfortunately can,t start that trip until transmission replaced and have to move boat to get it done. anyone know of a captain in hampton virginia area who could move my husband. i just drove from indiana to florida and will await him here. my husband's power cord is packed in my car somewhere so hw doesn't even have internet now.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:02   #2

Re: husband needs captain, stuck in hampton, virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
boat needs new transmission. action marine at cobbs marina has it and ready to install but we need a captain to move the boat from salt pond marina to cobbs in virginia. our insurance requires us to have 100 hours with captain before we are on our own and bob planned to get that on trip down to florida and in florida. unfortunately can,t start that trip until transmission replaced and have to move boat to get it done. anyone know of a captain in hampton virginia area who could move my husband. i just drove from indiana to florida and will await him here. my husband's power cord is packed in my car somewhere so hw doesn't even have internet now.
Sounds like he needs Towboat, or BoatUS to move your boat for you
72harley1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:11   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

If you can’t arrange a row I would call Cobbs for a suggestion. If that doesn’t work perhaps Blue Water Marina in Hampton could provide a suggestion. It’s a short hop and easy enough to Uber back to Hampton after the delivery. Good luck.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:33   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

I think it would be easier to move the transmission to the boat than to move the boat to the transmission.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Welcome to Boat Ownership.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 16:57   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
If you can’t arrange a row I would call Cobbs for a suggestion. If that doesn’t work perhaps Blue Water Marina in Hampton could provide a suggestion. It’s a short hop and easy enough to Uber back to Hampton after the delivery. Good luck.

Yeah, rowing a boat that size is a bummer.
Old 25-12-2021, 17:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
husband needs captain, stuck in hampton, virginia.

Quote:

Any competent master will run away from this job. To knowingly take a boat with a bad transmission out, without a tow standing by, is asking for a problem. If something happens and the boat is damaged, it will be in the guy that got hired.

IMHO get it towed, or pay the mechanic a premium to travel. The second option is likely less expensive.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 17:55   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I think it would be easier to move the transmission to the boat than to move the boat to the transmission.
+1 And surely there's an engineer near the boat able to do the job.
Boat distance usually adds considerable cost.
Old 25-12-2021, 17:58   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s 15 miles on the road between these 2 places. Surely you can pay the mechanic to come down to the marina where the boat is.

That will cost less than a master for sure.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 18:48   #10

Boat: Morgan 34

I think you should just settle in there in FL for the winter. Hopefully your husband can find someone to move him there for a few weeks while the new transmission is being installed. By whomever. Congratulations, you're cruising!
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 18:52   #11

Interesting thread.

How did "competent captains" move sailboats prior to invention of internal combustion engines?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 18:57   #12

He could contact Hampton Marine Services to see if they can install the transmission. They are fairly close to Salt Ponds by land.
rfinklegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 19:27   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Interesting thread.

How did "competent captains" move sailboats prior to invention of internal combustion engines?

For the most part they didn't, at least not in and out and through the kinds of places the OP is asking about. There was some usage of towboats and warps.

The history of inland water transport is fascinating IMO. But it never included 37'+/- keelboats under sail in the same places they are now taken under auxiliary propulsion. Generally, prior to the age of steam, it is a history of shallow draft vessels propelled by oars or draft animals. There are exceptional areas like portions of England where craft specifically designed for sailing in close quarters were used. These vessels are shallow draft, narrow beam, tall rig boats that plied the tides as well as the winds. The Three Rivers race in the Norfolk Broads is a continuation of this tradition.
Old 25-12-2021, 19:33   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Best wishes and good luck with your predicament. I am 1000 miles away and wouldn't try to take a 50' boat belonging to someone else out and about with a bad transmission even if I were local -- especially this time of year. I would think you would want to have it towed or repaired where it is.

If it were my own boat and I knew her well, were confident of sail, rudder, ground tackle, etc., and could choose the day and hence the weather, it would be another matter.
Old 25-12-2021, 19:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
For the most part they didn't, at least not in and out and through the kinds of places the OP is asking about. There was some usage of towboats and warps.

The history of inland water transport is fascinating IMO. But it never included 37'+/- keelboats under sail in the same places they are now taken under auxiliary propulsion. Generally, prior to the age of steam, it is a history of shallow draft vessels propelled by oars or draft animals. There are exceptional areas like portions of England where craft specifically designed for sailing in close quarters were used. These vessels are shallow draft, narrow beam, tall rig boats that plied the tides as well as the winds. The Three Rivers race in the Norfolk Broads is a continuation of this tradition.
you need to travel the Chesapeake- it was safer and easier to move a vessel 30 years ago than now with the Navy and commercial traffic. Prior to dependable combustion engines product moved ell over by sail and poles. Skipjacks up to the famous Baltimore clipper.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain