Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 14:48   #1

Boat: Ken Hankinson designed 33' cutter, Lady Sophie. Custom C-Flex planking Hull.
Marina recommendations in Hampton Roads area, Virginia?

We are relocating from the Great Lakes to the southern Chesapeake. Any recommendations in the Virginia Beach to Norfolk area? We will need a marina that allows us to do a bit of our own but will also need to contract significant electrical work to be done.
Lady Sophie
lady sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 16:23   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 41
Re: Marina recommendations in Hampton Roads area, Virginia?

Both Cobbs and Cuttysark marinas on little creek in Norfolk allow owners to do their own work. However this time of year rates for storage on the hard are fairly steep as compared to winter. If you are talking about a quick haul, wash, and bottom paint it's not too bad. As far as slips go Cobbs has done a fair amount of recent upgrades but availability for long term is limited. I have used both marinas for haul out and work and felt fairly treated at each.
Ribman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:05   #3

Boat: Passport 40

For in the water, check out Salt Ponds Marina; it's inexpensive and a very nice place. I enjoyed my 2 month stay there. Depending on your draft you need to watch out for low tide right next to the red buoy. If you have no car, bicycles or similar transportation, the problem might be the location tho.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:55   #4

My boat has been at Cobbs for the last few years. Location is super as to local services: engine, electrical, fiberglass, stainless steel fabrication. The Marina can do the work or contractors or you can do your own.

With a 1/2 mile walk, there are two marine supply stores, Food Lion Supermarket, Fast Food, numerous bar and grills, Gym, and laundromat.

Cobbs in my opinion is primarily a boat yard and secondarily a marina, but it has the nicest floating docks in Little Creek.

But a Luxury Marina it is not!
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:52   #5

Boat: Hunter 420

We lived aboard at Salt Ponds for a year and relocated this summer. We were having trouble getting divers to scrape our hull - the reason they gave was that irresponsible live aboards there were dumping waste in the creek and the water was becoming polluted. I can't speak to that personally, but the other reason we relocated was that the entrance from the Bay shoals and we couldn't get in or out except at high tide. Our boat drafts 6 ft., so you may not have a problem if yours is less. Other than that, the people at the marina are great, they will hold your mail, sell ice and some supplies and they have a great pool. I would also carefully check out the slips. We were on R dock and the woman across from us fed the birds, and they made quite a mess. It may no longer be a problem, but I would check it out if I were you. They do not have a loaner car, and they are pretty far from real shopping, though.
SVHeirborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 38

I liveaboard in Norfolk's Little Creek inlet, which Rib Man and Panama Red commented on. This inlet connects to the Chesapeake Bay, roughly 2.6 miles west of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are a number of marinas on each side of the creek. I think Cobbs (part boatyard and part marina) has the newest docks, but the restrooms/showers are sub-standard. They are within easy walking distance of a strip mall with a good grocery store and marine supply store. Unfortunately, they are located in an undesirable neighborhood. The marina does have security gates which are closed at night (you can still get your car in or out with a key pad security code). When I need a haul-out, I go to Cobbs. They have always treated me well. On the other side of the creek are more marinas. It's a better neighborhood on this side of the creek, but a longer walk to the grocery store. There are 6 restaurants within easy walking distance and 1 boatyard called Cutty Sark. I liveaboard in Bay Point Marina. I think at one time it was a pretty nice place, but it gets less nice every year with a lack of upkeep. The same corporation owns a few other marinas here on the creek. I do light maintenance on my boat here at the marina (orbital sander and the occasional router or table saw) and no one has complained yet, but for more major maintenance you should use one of the 2 boat yards here on the creek. I like the general location of Little Creek. It is well protected and has quick and easy access to the Chesapeake Bay. But, this is the most noisy area I have ever lived in. Jets using Norfolk International fly right overhead and make it hard to carry on a conversation. There is additional air traffic from aircraft using the air field at the main Navy Base 5 miles away. There are also Navy ships here in Little Creek, and the loudspeakers from the base can be annoying. The good news is that nights are relatively quiet until around 5:30 am when the jets out of Norfolk International start flying. As you probably know, Norfolk is part of the whole hurricane season thing. We don't participate in winter as much as you do in the Great Lakes, but it does go below freezing here at times. The creek may get a little ice overnight, but it is generally gone by noon. There are other marina options in the Norfolk area besides the Little Creek area. Some research with the Active Captain web site will help you find them. But, not all are going to accept liveaboards. Good luck to you in your search.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:14   #7

Boat: Ken Hankinson designed 33' cutter, Lady Sophie. Custom C-Flex planking Hull.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. We are not planning to live aboard. This winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) we want to find an apartment and get to know the area. Once we have a good feel of the neighborhoods we will buy a small condo and make that our headquarters and sail from there. Our boat will be in on Lake Erie yet this summer then we want to bring her down via the New York waterway and the ICW. Our first exploratory trip will be a couple of weeks at the end of May.
lady sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:20   #8
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

If you are not going to live aboard, might I suggest looking into keeping your boat at the Norfolk Yacht Club? You cannot do work there, and that would needs be done at a nearby boatyard. But, if you are living in a condo, and using your boat for sailing and social engagement, this is one of the best yacht clubs I've ever put in to. Near to the ICW, great restaurant, small sailing boats available, and some of the nicest people you can run into who work there.

https://www.norfolkyacht.com/

mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:39   #9

We're making a late decision to take a slip in the Hampton, VA, or not too far away, area. We're a 50' Catamaran.

Safe, secure, amenities, in great condition and location are more important than price. Probably for 5 months starting June. Any current intel is appreciated.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 14:25   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady sophie View Post
We are relocating from the Great Lakes to the southern Chesapeake. Any recommendations in the Virginia Beach to Norfolk area? We will need a marina that allows us to do a bit of our own but will also need to contract significant electrical work to be done.
My first choice would be Cobb's Marina in Little Creek. It's my go to spot for fuel and water on deliveries coming in from and heading offshore. I've had work done there, some substantial, for customers. Dave Beens is the dockmaster. Tell him Dave Skolnick on Auspicious sent you. Don't miss Cap'n Groovy's bar and grill.

My second choice is Bluewater Yacht Center. David Farlow is manager there. Again tell him I sent you. A little pickier about what DIY you can do but nicer facilities.

Hampton Public Piers might be an option for you. I don't know anyone there.

I tend to avoid Norfolk and Portsmouth proper. Parking is too hard, too much traffic, too much security on the water.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hampton roads, men