Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 18:04   #151
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Not at all, Paul. But the bond could be posted in dollars, pounds, euros, or any major currency. Simply posted, and then returned to the transient upon their departure. And no bond need be required if there is good reason to believe the person is leaving again, and has the means to do so. Like, arriving on a boat they happen to own, bound for someplace else.

There is no reason for two physical currency conversions to take place, when the intent and the usual process will be to simply return the bond to whoever gave it. In the same form it was given. And therefore, no need for the conversion fees. That's nonsense.

I'm saying they could have the honesty to say "Hey, we want a clearance fee from everyone who checks in and out. Pay it here."

Otherwise? Take the bond in any major currency, physically. And give it back when I go. Or take a letter of credit as proof that no bond is needed. There are many options, up to and including "Here's my Rolex, I'll pick it up on the way out."

Not that I would trust a valuable to be held without abuse or damage, or that I own a Rolex.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:56   #152

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Not at all, Paul. But the bond could be posted in dollars, pounds, euros, or any major currency. Simply posted, and then returned to the transient upon their departure. And no bond need be required if there is good reason to believe the person is leaving again, and has the means to do so. Like, arriving on a boat they happen to own, bound for someplace else.

There is no reason for two physical currency conversions to take place, when the intent and the usual process will be to simply return the bond to whoever gave it. In the same form it was given. And therefore, no need for the conversion fees. That's nonsense.

I'm saying they could have the honesty to say "Hey, we want a clearance fee from everyone who checks in and out. Pay it here."

Otherwise? Take the bond in any major currency, physically. And give it back when I go. Or take a letter of credit as proof that no bond is needed. There are many options, up to and including "Here's my Rolex, I'll pick it up on the way out."

Not that I would trust a valuable to be held without abuse or damage, or that I own a Rolex.<G>
I just can't see a country wanting to do business in some other countries currency as a matter of course. Not exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy a US Customs decal with Euros. Posting in cash (euros, dollars) etc is even more of an issue. Maybe you could post a bond in cash in Nuka Hiva and then sail back to pick it up when you leave Saying that they should exempt people that show up on their own boat ignores the reported problems that they have had in the past with just those people.
In the end, you just have to follow the locals' rules or go to a different country.
Old 30-09-2013, 06:01   #153
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I just can't see a country wanting to do business in some other countries currency as a matter of course. Not exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy a US Customs decal with Euros. Posting in cash (euros, dollars) etc is even more of an issue. Maybe you could post a bond in cash in Nuka Hiva and then sail back to pick it up when you leave Saying that they should exempt people that show up on their own boat ignores the reported problems that they have had in the past with just those people.
In the end, you just have to follow the locals' rules or go to a different country.
Large countries or monetary areas tend to trade in only there own currency. Smaller countries or entities may accept key major currencies usually as a convience to customers

Dave
Old 30-09-2013, 06:08   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Large countries or monetary areas tend to trade in only there own currency. Smaller countries or entities may accept key major currencies usually as a convenience to customers

Dave
It certainly would be reasonable for them to take Euros.
Old 30-09-2013, 06:09   #155
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Posting the bond shouldn't be that big a deal for anyone cruising. "
I wouldn't mind saying "here's my money, I'll be back for it next week" but when someone insists that I have to use currency exchanges twice, both ways, in order to do that? That's simply picking my pocket under another name, and pretending you're not doing it.

On the whole larger EU/US/etc visa thing? By all means, take Mr. Kerry out to lunch and ask him to discuss a full reciprocity waiver program. These things cut both ways and it should be to our mutual advantage to open up that--both ways.
As an EU citizen I come to the States and your banks screw me over on currency exchanges... why should you expect anything less...
French Polynesia... being French is happy with me spending euro's.. and I don't have to pay a Bond...
I want to go to the USVI's or Puerto Rico I get charged and get nothing back when I leave... stop whinging... folk will think your a 'Pom'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:14   #156
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I just can't see a country wanting to do business in some other countries currency as a matter of course. Not exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy a US Customs decal with Euros."

Not exactly the same? Or rather, totally different.

We're not talking about "doing business" we're talking about posting and holding a bond, which is expected to be returned. "Western" i.e . European common law generally sees that as a loan, a bailment, not a sales transaction like buying a decal or paying a tax. And that's a big difference. You go to a pawn shop (anywhere in the world) and you hand over goods as a bond--expecting the exact same goods to be returned to you when you repay the loan. Somehow, it works.

There's also the matter of the currency. Let's say I go to Pango Wango (a mythological place) and convert my thousand dollars US into PangyWangies at the local bank, so I can post my bond. OK, where do you think those dollars go? Physical dollars, where do they go?

That's right, every merchant, every bank, every nation has either ship them back to the US to cash them in, or they have to conduct business with them. It is simpler and cheaper for them to conduct business with the dollars, locally, than it is to ship them back to the US for physical exchange.

And that's the kicker. No matter who says, if they are converting your dollars into local currency, they are in fact going to be accepting and using those same dollars soon after.

Which is also why there are black market rates for converting major currencies in every place that doesn't openly accept them. Israel, China, Russia...pick a country, I can use my dollar or any "hard" currency in all of them and sometimes the local merchants even give you a bonus for doing so, compared to the official rates.

I even have some mint two dollar bills, given to me when I cashed a traveler's check in U$D behind the iron curtain, at a time when two dollar bills weren't circulating in the US. Somehow, "one bill in, one bill out" works all over the world.

Of course Polynesia isn't the only loco place. Last time I was in Canada, armed only with U$D, a supermarket offered to accept U$D at a discount, worse than the exchange rate of course. Or they accepted credit cards at par. And since my credit card didn't charge any conversion fees, I paid with it. So the supermarket actually lost money on the deal since they pay some 3% to the card company. Instead of taking my dollars at par.

Hey, if Polynesia or anyplace else wants to discourage tourists, or just ensure the ones with more money to spend come in, that's fine by me. That's their choice to make.

But as I said, don't pick my pocket and niggle me with fees. Put the cover charge up front, and admit that's what it is all about.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:39   #157

You can always use a plane ticket as the bond - they make that an option. Either way, it sounds like you'll be unhappy with their current rules.
Old 30-09-2013, 13:30   #158
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Can you can a fully refundable plane ticket in and out of PPT? I know some airlines still offer them, but it seems that Air France does most of the heavy lifting into French Polynesia and their refund policy only says that if you wish for a refund, you may apply for one. Not necessarily that they will give it. And of course if they are code sharing, as they do with Delta in the US, then you've got two parties to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if Delta said yes, and then told folks to call Air France.
How Delta has grown so large I can't figure out, they lie through their teeth, year after year, as company culture. But that's another topic.<G>
Old 30-09-2013, 14:47   #159

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Boatie! You need to get a charge/travel credit card that does not charge you foreign transaction fees. If credit background is an issue, I still recommend to carry traveler's checks; hotels and banks will not rip you off when cashing them.

Mauritz
Old 30-09-2013, 15:04   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

forget an air ticket,just get one of these babies if you are a serious traveler......MCO

Miscellaneous charges order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:59   #161

A funny little side note about FP in the 70s. We arrived in the Marquesas and stayed for several months and when arriving in Papeeti had to put up the bond. We were told that married couples who owned their own boat didnt have to put it up. That was told to us by a yacht that was leaving. We were not married at the time and put up the bond. We stayed over a year and were treated very well by the officials. Toward the end of our stay, I ended up with an eye infection and the Dr wanted me to go to the hospital. We were broke by that time and I went to immigrations and explained the situation, and asked if I could have the bond back because I didnt want to go into the hospital if I could not pay for it. The official took me aside and told me that if the local Dr talked about surgery, that I should get on the first plane to New Zealand or Los Angeles, and dont let them touch me in FP. I ended up spending a few days in the hospital, which didnt cost very much. A few weeks later a friend fell through a dock and her leg got badly infected. She ended up having pretty major surgery on her leg, by the same Dr that put me in the hospital. She told me that the Dr came in to talk to her just before the anesthesia and walked over to a cabinet and took out a bottle of brandy and had a couple of stiff shots. He said it was to steady his hands. I then knew why the immigrations man had said to get out of FP if the Dr talked about surgery. Got to love an official like that. My eye healed itself and our friend survived with a rather large scar, but no long term effects. I loved FP. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:37   #162

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Another one "american trained" no doubt.
Old 02-10-2013, 19:30   #163
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are you suggesting they should not have their own currency? Do everything in US dollars?
You mean there are other currencies apart from the US Dollar?? ......when did that start???

Furriners .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31   #164

When the boat I crewed on checked into Rangiroa I notified the captain and gendarme that I intended to leave the boat and see a few of the islands as a tourist, then leave the country by air. I was only asked to provide evidence of tickets booked as far as Papeete, but did not require international tickets (which I booked later).

To me that indicates that instead of a bond or expensive international tickets it may be possible to just book cheaper domestic tickets to Papeete (and then cancel ?). Having said this, I would not recommend arriving in FP without sufficient funds to cover international flights as the application of the rules may depend on your French language skills and the person processing your entry.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:30   #165

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Why all the talk about bonds and currency exchanges when it is so easy to get a refundable ticket?? Paid for in your very own currency even!

If you have a good relationship with your travel agent, they will even issue you a ticket without charging you. Too easy.

Atoll's MCO looks pretty good, too.

The issues about bonds are irrelevant since it is the least attractive option for a 2013 yachtie.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia