Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 07:29   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Yellow Fever - French Polynesia

I heard the rumor here (we are waiting to transit the Panama Canal) that French Polynesia is now requiring proof of a Yellow Fever Vaccination if you are coming from Panama.

Does anyone know if this is true? We may be able to get vaccinations in Panama City, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 07:49   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hi Jim,

I saw you in Shelter Bay I think... we're on C-dock next to the other Sundeer 64 ;-)

There are two good private (but still cheap) clinics in Colon that should be able to help you there. One is right next to the Quattro Altos mall and the other is the Centro Medico del Caribe which is next to the Colon 2000 mall.

Medical care is very high quality, no need to worry.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 16:37   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Nick,

I'll look for you if you are still here. We are scheduled to transit on Saturday.

Thanks for the clinic info, we'll check it out.

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 07:25   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
With all due respect - I think you should have had the shots well before going to Panama. I would not be surprised if FP has such a requirement since Panama is an endemic region.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:33   #5

It's a little nutty, because if you get yellow fever in Panama you'll be over it, or dead, by the time you get to Polynesia. But rules are rules.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 14:03   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
What funny talk here... yellow fever in Panama? Sure, 20,000 died during the attempted construction of the French Canal. The last time any case of yellow fever in Panama was 1974 according to the WHO.

There might be some confusion about yellow fever requirements for travel to Panama but that is the other way around: you must (should) have vaccination if you travel to Panama from a country that has yellow fever. It's to keep it away. This requirement was dropped and is now an advise for people coming from Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela etc.

It wouldn't go into the Darien without every vaccination possible, but sailors visiting Panama should only worry about other tourists infecting them.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 17:28   #7

I am afraid Nick is only 50% correct on this one:

- I came from RSA to Brazil 2006 and was lucky to have valid yf shots in my yello book: RSA yf risk = 0, Brazil = endemic.

As of 2009 Panama up to the canal zone considered endemic ...

And, if such a requirment exists, be sure the French will request a proof of your shots.

BTW If Panama is still considered endemic by WHO I would definitely have had the shots before coming. No fun, just common sense.

;-(
barnie
Old 28-03-2010, 03:40   #8

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
The Panama canal zone is currently not listed in the 'Yellow Book' as an endemic area but;

A traveler's risk for acquiring yellow fever is determined by various factors, including immunization status, location of travel, season, duration of exposure, occupational and recreational activities while traveling, and local rate of virus transmission at the time of travel.

Although reported cases of human disease are the principal indicator of disease risk, case reports may be absent because of a low level of transmission, a high level of immunity in the population (e.g., due to vaccination), or failure of local surveillance systems to detect cases. This “epidemiologic silence” does not equate to absence of risk and should not lead to travel without the protection provided by vaccination.

See Chapter 2 - Yellow Fever - 2010 Yellow Book | CDC Travelers' Health for more details.

It's worth noting that Panama City is considered to be in the endemic area.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 04:25   #9
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
check this out http://www.panama-guide.com/article....80927130447330

There is a law in Panama that Yellow Fever vac. is required when entering if coming from "risky" country. It has never been enforced until late 2008 that for some reason they tried to enforce but it only last few days and then forgot.
Problems raised to Panamanian traveling abroad for tourism or business purpose because shot must be applied ten days before and the planned round trip was shorter. NOW IT IS OVER.
Anyway should you need to have the shot because you are going to country that it is required you can have in any private hospital (or in public hospital for $5 if you are in budget.)
Canal zone has not yellow fever, plenty of gringos bought property along Gatun lake and happily leave there. Just ask around shelter bay and will find few that still own boats and keep at the marina.
:-)
FVN
fvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 04:57   #10

the certificate of vaccination

I have one and can recommend to anybody planning an extended journey. All my shots end up listed in it, along with how long they will last, like an engine service book;-).

Recognized by all quarantine / maritime authorities - probably the same stuff pro sailors carry.

Cost = null, convenience - great.

b.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02   #11

Boat: Liberty 49
We just arrived in French Polynesia (April 2010 - Mangareva - Gambier Islands) and they didn't ask for proof of vaccinations. I can't say what would happen in a larger port of entry though.

Regardless, if planning a long distance cruise already having the vaccination might be one less thing to worry about!
tararenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 16:04   #12

Tararanee - should you run into a guy named Fritz (he is a contact-point of the Transocean Club) PLS PLS PLS give him a big hug from me.

He was great help to us when we visited in 2004! We helped him fix the roof (gone with the wind), and he filled our LPG tanks, then we shared some cool Huahine (local beer - excellent).

Try out the outer anchorages - they are much sweeter than the one at Mangareva's main village.

And do not miss the PAPMPELOMOUSSES .... !!!!!

Hugs,
barnie

Tags
yellow fever, French Polynesia