Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 16:12   #1

Boat: Northwind 50
The west coast of South America

I’m in the process of planning for a passage from Panama to Tahiti and considering various options. One of these is sailing down the south/west coast of Colombia; past Ecuador and into Peru before making the trans-ocean passage to Easter Island. Has anyone tried this?

Seems like an opportunity to make shorter passages along the coast and explore some new and interesting countries before doing a crossing which is shorter than Galapagos/Marquesas. Any personal experiences to share?

What are the downsides?
How sailor friendly are these countries? (UK flagged vessel with UK crew)
What are facilities/anchorages like?
All useful info gratefully received!
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 16:58   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The west coast of South America

I would avoid both Colombia and Peru - even Peruvians avoid Peru.
The 'go to' port in Ecuador is Salinas/La Libertad and the Puerto Lucia Marina.

It's an excellent jumping off point for the Marquesas.

Peru? I refer you to the links found at post #30 in this thread https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-264680-2.html

I've crossed from Antofagasta to Tahiti - no wind for the frst few days but good after that.

Want to visit Peru? catch a bus from Guayaquil.

When in Ecuador a trip to Cuenca and thereabouts is a must.
Old 14-06-2022, 17:06   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We went from Panama to Ecuador to Galapagos to Easter to Pitcairn to FR (entered at Mangareva before heading north to Tahiti. We left the boat in Ecuador for a month (Bahia de Carrraquez) where a former cruiser keeps an eye on boats that are on fore/aft moorings in the river. Went backpacking for a month in Ecuador and Peru. My understanding is that the Humboldt Current is very strong northbound. Boats going to southern Chile usually go to Easter to avoid the current. We loved this part of our cruising.
Old 28-06-2022, 02:27   #4

Boat: Allied 39

We spent 2 seasons in Ecuador. Mainly to get out of the lightning strikes of Panama and Costa Rica. It was cool and no actual weather to speak of. Great for getting boat work done.

If your bored or trying to cure your insomnia we have written about our stay there and land travels around SA. Starting with Passage Note #49

https://www.jacarandajourney.com/passage-notes

Safe sailing
Old 28-06-2022, 02:50   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

ive boated in Brazil Everyone is nice. Columbia is no worse than Central America maybe better now with the recent election.
As a tourist in Columbia I thought the people just fine. I had Peruvian neighbour for years in Canada. He loved Canada was terrified of Peru. His wife told me Peru was pure evil. Folks need to lighten up a smig. Send photos from the Gallops and be safe.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 17:49   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I've met a few Colombians, all very nice people.

The Pacific coast?

Only port of consequence is Buenaventura. I don't know anyone who has ever called there.
There are reasons for that.

Visiting the Galapagos from mainland Ecuador by yacht? Was speaking with people a few weeks ago who have been based in Ecuador/Galapagos for some years and they were experiencing all sorts of delays in getting their paperwork organised.
Old 29-06-2022, 18:13   #7

Once upon a time we sailed Panama-Galapagos-Peru-Chile-Juan Fernandez-Easter-Pitcairn-FP.

The sail from the Galapagos all the way to Valparaiso is against the current and the light wind, so it is a bit of a study in masochism. But I'd do it again. Despite the negatives upthread we enjoyed Peru, although it is not the easiest/most welcoming. From Arica down to Valpo we found a warm welcome every place we stopped.

And it gives you a nice sail from the Chilean coast out to the islands.

It is certainly 'against the grain' to sail down that coast, sort of like sailing up the US Pacific coast. And there are good reasons for most people not doing it that way. But if you don't mind the extra work and the contrary nature of the route then it can be quite nice.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 18:18   #8

Boat: EDELCAT33

Peru has always being a problem, as well as Colombia. Stay clear of fishing grounds of the coast of Colombia and make a beeline to Ecuador where things are more friendly and less complicated. Bahia de Caraques is quite safe but rougher than say Salinas which is a good point to pass to Galapagos which should take about 4 days or more.
Although I love Peru, right now it may not be politically wise to go. Ecuador just got done with 15 years of far left governments. Peru is back in the leftist saddle. If you make it Lima by air from Guayaquil - stop and see the museum of gold and close by the museum of armor. If you decide to go to Cusco and MachuPichu, be aware of altitude sickness as they are above 10,000 ft.

If you skip Peru, there are many coastal towns and inland towns that can keep you entertained for months.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 18:29   #9

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
ive boated in Brazil Everyone is nice. Columbia is no worse than Central America maybe better now with the recent election.
As a tourist in Columbia I thought the people just fine. I had Peruvian neighbour for years in Canada. He loved Canada was terrified of Peru. His wife told me Peru was pure evil. Folks need to lighten up a smig. Send photos from the Gallops and be safe.

Are you kidding me? Better now with the new election? NOPE
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 19:39   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I did Panama to Bahia de Caraquez in 2017. Interesting sailing by the coast, I tried to avoid Columbia due to bad reputation. Ecuador was a good place, safe and boring, cheap food but expensive check in and out. However, everything was organised by the marina there and then, so it was easy. The people are nice the weather was overcast all the time, with an occasional earthquake to spice it up.

Tags
South America, west coast