Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 05:54   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Routes heading North out of the Philippines?

I'll be headed due North out of the Philippines from South Negros (Port Bonbonon) to Eastern Taiwan in a few months. Waiting to get well into the NE Monsoon season, as it would currently be miserable taking the trip upwind.

I was originally planning on taking the western route around Luzon and heading straight north, but upon looking at a map of currents, it may be better to head around the eastern side.

Also, because in this part of Asia there is an overwhelming amount of fish nets, crab pots, etc., we want to do most of our cruising in the daylight hours. And we intend to island hop up the Batanes islands that are between Philippines and Taiwan.

Am I overthinking the current? Which is a better path? I have a list of typhoon refuges (p. 27) posted here from Conant M. Webb, because I know that 'tis the season. Anything else I should be made aware of?
crybllrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 04:01   #2

Re: Routes heading North out of the Philippines?

Hello there

I am a 38 year old British guy living in Taipei, Taiwan for the past 10 years. I would love to join you for some sailing on the east coast of Taiwan if at all possible. I know the coastline well (Taidong, Hualien, Yilan etc) and can speak Mandarin. Happy to help with anything when you are on shore too.

Sailing bio: I completed the comp crew course in Sydney Harbour with Pacific Sailing and have taken part in 20 or so races on Sydney Harbour with RAN Sailing Association, Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and Sydney Amateur Sailing Club. I delivered a Beneteau First 47.7 from Sydney to Brisbane (450 nautical miles) and have completed the RYA Essential Navigation & Seamanship course. I assisted as crew with launching the a sailing program aimed at helping First Responders to try sailing.

Hope to hear from you

Jim
jinbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 04:11   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Hi Jim, I live in Taiwan as well. Just trying to get my boat home to Tainan (I meant WEST Taiwan in the OP).

I will be back in a few months, then we can plan on sailing around this big rock!
crybllrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 21:56   #4

Fantastic! Hope you have a good trip back to Taiwan and get those currents on your side! Sounds like a fun one.

Looking forward to meeting you in a few months then. I'm based in Taipei but very happy to head down to Tainan for some sailing.

I work online so am quite flexible with my schedule and location

Please add me to FB or Line if you can:
FB: Jim Althans
Line ID: jimalthans

Jim
jinbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 16:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybllrd View Post
I'll be headed due North out of the Philippines from South Negros (Port Bonbonon) to Eastern Taiwan in a few months. Waiting to get well into the NE Monsoon season, as it would currently be miserable taking the trip upwind.

I was originally planning on taking the western route around Luzon and heading straight north, but upon looking at a map of currents, it may be better to head around the eastern side.

Also, because in this part of Asia there is an overwhelming amount of fish nets, crab pots, etc., we want to do most of our cruising in the daylight hours. And we intend to island hop up the Batanes islands that are between Philippines and Taiwan.

Am I overthinking the current? Which is a better path? I have a list of typhoon refuges (p. 27) posted here from Conant M. Webb, because I know that 'tis the season. Anything else I should be made aware of?
Do you have Taiwanese charts? I can give you directions to get into houbihou marina. I crashed on the reef here 3 years ago because of lack of good information.
Just bring me a few cases of tanduay haha.
I was in Bonbonon a few years ago as well,
My friend George and Jean are there now.
We sailed up from Cebu via Mindoro, Western Luzon checking out at San Fernando in May/June mostly motorsailing.
I guess with covid your not sure when you can come yet. Taiwan is still in lockdown for foreign vessels but hopefully it's lifted by the time you can move.
shanet356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:37   #6

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

We made that trip a few years back. Our plan was to sail straight to the Japanese port of Ishigaki, but a 4 knot westerly setting current in the Bashi channel pushed us right around to the west side of Taiwan. Nowadays you may be able to look a a current chart to see what it is like before you leave Luzon.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, Philippines, route