Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 22:08   #1

Japan eastbound

Looking for advice regarding sailing out of Japan this week towards the states, considering the typhoon season is almost here.
Any experienced north pacific cruiser here ?

Cheers
Discobaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 23:30   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Japan eastbound

We leave from Osaka Wednesday morning 05:00.

Weather OK providing cyclones do not develop

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 00:00   #3

Boat: Custom 55

If you're going via the Aleutians, it's generally better to favor the Bering sea side. Most gales are associated with fronts this time of year, therefore from the southerly quadrant. You can get some protection on the N. sides. Be aware that the higher the island, the more violent the williwaws on the lee side. 120 knots isn't uncommon in winter. Summer is fortunately more benign, but still, it's something to be aware of.

Do be careful negotiating any of the passes in any weather. Seguam and Oglalla are particularly nasty, as is the entire area between Kiska and Buldir islands, but any of them suck with wind against tide.

Attu and Kiska are fascinating, if you're into military history.

Drop a PM if you stop in Dutch Harbor. I'm in there every week or 10 days, typically.

Good trip, guys.

TJ
Old 04-06-2018, 03:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Discobaker.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:26   #5

Thanks everyone . I intend to leave on tuesday from choshi. There seem to be a system devloping down south and heading this way. Any thoughts ?
Old 10-06-2018, 17:42   #6

Boat: Tashiba 40, Robert (Bob) Perry design. Long keel cutter

Hi Discobaker,

I would have thought the sea is a little rough to leave right now, this mini typhoon has just passed us in Osaka, we are leaving here tomorrow hoping to be in Chosi by next Saturday, we will check out then and if the weather is good, leave for Seattle.
Paul
SV Sister Midnight
LadyStardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:53   #7

Hey Paul

There seems to be another storm coming this way.
I wonder if leaving with in a couple of days is safe enough
Old 10-06-2018, 22:28   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discobaker View Post
Thanks everyone . I intend to leave on tuesday from choshi. There seem to be a system devloping down south and heading this way. Any thoughts ?
Hi Discobaker, I have made that passage a few times this time of year, both commercial and yachts.
With the early depressions now forming and sweeping up towards Japan before reaching the Philippines, but enhancing the SW monsoon, getting away and across the Kurishio and Oyashio Currents is your key timing concern. Pick a lull between these depressions and cross the updated positions of these currents as quickly as possible. It makes a big difference in sea states.

Traditional sailing route is Great Circle first half, then Rhumb line towards Seattle.
But I have often reversed this to stay on the southern side of a depression, sweeping towards SE Alaska.
Odds are, you will get at least one overtaking you on your passage.

Looking at the weather, I would be in no rush to leave until around the 17th.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 22:42   #9

Hi Yes, I agree with Pelagic, but we plan on heading east if the wind allows to get as far east as we can before we follow the great circle path, but basically it will depend totally on the path of the depressions.
We had hoped to get away after this TS (Maliksi) had passed, but as you say there is more bad weather due around chosi at the end of the week, so we plan to get to Chosi by Saturday and then we will review the situation.
Once we see a break of 7-10 days we will go for it.
I think quite a few boats have left already, I wonder how they are getting on, the wind might be ok, but I worry more about the waves, forecasts were showing 7-8 mtr waves heights, which is not something I would plan to sail into.

Paul
SV Sister Midnight.
Old 10-06-2018, 23:18   #10
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
Hi Yes, I agree with Pelagic, but we plan on heading east if the wind allows to get as far east as we can before we follow the great circle path, but basically it will depend totally on the path of the depressions.
Paul
SV Sister Midnight.
Yes, that's exactly right Paul
....keep Easting, until you clear the Japanese Trench and strong currents before routing to destination.
Once in deep water, early awareness of depression tracks allows you to keep in their Southern quadrant, by easing ESE if need be.

Conversely, one trip I switched early to GC and ENE to avoid activity coming from Hawaii.

Out of the current, the swells are big but regular with a comfortable period, it is only approaching or departing landfalls that things tend to get a bit square as you well know.

Fair winds and good fishing!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30   #11

Boat: Boatless

We made it from Osaka to Yokohama but now stuck waiting for a gap inthe lows to go east and north.

A Frenchman is in the same marina with a 70 foot boat and large support crew is waiting to swim the Pacific. He plans to swim 8 hours a day until he arrives in San Francisco. He tried 3 weeks ago but only got 25 miles!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:21   #12
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
A Frenchman is in the same marina with a 70 foot boat and large support crew is waiting to swim the Pacific. He plans to swim 8 hours a day until he arrives in San Francisco. He tried 3 weeks ago but only got 25 miles!
Wow ! What does he do for the other 16 hrs.....tread water?
Old 13-06-2018, 06:57   #13

Struggling to do anything right now, these lows keep passing on up the E coast of Japan, we might be stuck in KushiMoto for a week or more now waiting for a break. Anyone else reading the weather and seeing an opportunity to head East?
Also if anyone wants to be part of a Satphone phone based mail-list/net for the passage I'm happy to set something up, just PM me an email address for your Sat phone.

Paul.
Old 13-06-2018, 15:25   #14
CF Adviser

You are in a good location to get a feel for the swell. As soon as it starts to knock down around 17-18th, I would be heading East.
Old 16-06-2018, 03:58   #15
CF Adviser

Wow , there is a persistent family of Lows forming one after the other along the East Coast.
Doesn't look good till after the 22nd.

Tags
Japan