Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 12:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Will the Real Sailor Please Stand Up

A real sailor is anyone, even if he has only 200 sea miles to his name, who when finding himself out of sight of land, feels a rush of endorphins, and simply knows in his bones, that he's at home.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 12:59   #17

Re: Will the real sailor please stand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
So don't sell your nautical experiences short. Some story to you may seem unworthy of discussion,
Never knew that to be a problem, actually.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 13:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I think sailor is a more general term like lubricant for instance. You have tug captains, tanker captains, commercial fishermen, cruisers, all sailors. You have oil, grease, transmission fluid, all lubricants.
If you wanted to define the most hardcore sailor, IMO that would be the solo circumnavigators. (that word kinda looks like circumcising alligators, now THAT would be hardcore!)
I don't know about hardcore being a solo circumnavigator. A bit lonely and wreckless if you ask me. Kind of like swimming alone or diving alone. Asking for trouble. What gets someone to the point of wanting that kind of solitude out in the middle of the ocean with noone to talk to? Peoplehaters? Must be an extremely boring life. Is it about being alone or is it about seeing places and doing interesting things? Sorry if this offends any solo circumnavigators. Most hardcore? How about those Alaskan boats going out for crabs?
29palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 14:49   #19

Boat: Watkins 27

Can you make a monkey's fist, a turk's head and a thimble splice?

Can you make a three star sextant shot resulting in a triangle so small it looks like a period?

Do you know the difference between flotsam and jetsam or between a cunningham a martingale and cross-catharpings?

Do you know what "the Devil to pay and no pitch hot" really means?

Can you get three shots out of your 12 pounder in a minute?

Me neither :P

Guess I'll go sit with the other landsmen and King's hard bargains
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 14:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Real sailors are all those who are out at sea except those that are seated in the dining lounge with someone nearby to pick up the napkin if it falls from their lap.
Old 26-01-2013, 15:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

real sailors live off the bounty of the sea.....whatever it may be.......AAAAARGHHH!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:51   #22

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Even a good crew in the age of fighting sail would have been pretty satisfied to get three shots off in something more like five minutes.

Modern sealants are so much more efficient and tidy than pitch and oakum and seamless construction is a huge boon to people who want to enjoy sailing rather than boat slaving.
Old 26-01-2013, 15:57   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
That was the problem with Diego Garcia. Everyone wanted to be great bullshitters but it wasn't cute anymore after hearing the BS day in and day out. I'll stay on my end of the bar thank you very much.
HoHo.. I was on DG from 93 to 94, funny you refer to it. I knew a few folks that did 2 or 3 consecutive there. Did they still talk about the Marines that shaved the donkeys? Is the horse dead yet?

I was in the Navy for six years, I was a sailor. The retired MCPO I work with is a sailor. I would like to think of myself as a sailor again now that I have a boat but I imagine there are some folks with boats that will never be sailors, its all perspective.
Old 26-01-2013, 16:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
HoHo.. I was on DG from 93 to 94, funny you refer to it. I knew a few folks that did 2 or 3 consecutive there. Did they still talk about the Marines that shaved the donkeys? Is the horse dead yet?

I was in the Navy for six years, I was a sailor. The retired MCPO I work with is a sailor. I would like to think of myself as a sailor again now that I have a boat but I imagine there are some folks with boats that will never be sailors, its all perspective.
I was in Diego in 87-88, never heard of donkeys getting shaved but knowing Diego Garcia, the culprit had to have been ALCOHOL!!! Just add Marines. I was a sailor/mariner, whatever you want to call me sailing on Motor Vessels, but I got no boat now. I fly everywhere. I'm a aircraft tech for airlines. I fly to where I want to be now.
Old 26-01-2013, 19:41   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So lets have some 'Outings' so's I know which end of the bar to avoid... bullshitters are so much funnier...
Mind if I join your end of the bar
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 06:29   #26

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

The difference between a sea story and a fairy tale: A fairy tale always starts with "once upon a time"...a sea story always starts with "now, this is no ****.." IMHO, Sterling Hayden was a "real sailor"
Old 28-01-2013, 06:55   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Will the real sailor please stand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Mind if I join your end of the bar
Ahahahahahahhaaa
Anytime mate

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 11:51   #28

The joke is on you. He will join your end of the bar as long as you buy him the drinks. My end of the bar has the ladies. ahahahahahaha!!!!!
Old 28-01-2013, 15:22   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The joke is on you. He will join your end of the bar as long as you buy him the drinks. My end of the bar has the ladies. ahahahahahaha!!!!!
Perhaps not..... IME, the ladies will quickly be at the Boatman's end regardless of anyone else in the bar
Well. the real ladies that is
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 17:33   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Great post! Thanks!

What's good about this post is that everyone here in the CF has different experiences and we all consider ourselves sailors. OP certainly has many experiences and a myriad more than I do.

I've been to Baguio and Subic City and Olongapo and when my friend and I had taken the Philippine Rabbit bus up there to stay at the Air Force lodge the rooms were all taken. We sat in the lodge next to a roaring fire and regailed all the AF members and their spouses with sea stories until the wee hours and had a great time. We'd been in many different combat situations, he on a ship and I in country, and were still young enough to remember them clearly. I'd been through a hurricane on a Destroyer (tin can). We also were aboard many different types of ships and my friend had spent some time in the Marines doing fire control (targeting) so he had some stories to tell as well.

I now have 30 years of stories about the Navy and 45 years of stories about sailing.

When I'm gone I would be honored to be remembered as a good sailor.

kind regards,